View Single Post
Old 03-28-2021, 12:33 AM   #6 (permalink)
Bucho
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

I have some pretty extreme family (including a cousin who was pretty much kicked out of parliament for Islamophobia) and have read a shit-ton about how to navigate the insane cultural polarization brewed and stoked by both media and social media over the last decade or so, and the way Keith and Dana describe handling their situations with family members who are on The Dark Side (i.e., keeping lines of communication open by focusing on commonalities while avoiding politics) is exactly how pretty much every social psychologist I've read/listened to recommends handling it.

That said, obviously every relationship has its own specifics and I have friends who have needed to cut relationships off for their own mental health. In all situations a mofo is best to stick to the lifeguard code (if you can't rescue someone in trouble without risking them pulling you both under then fuck 'em).
(Offline)   Reply With Quote