View Single Post
Old 06-17-2021, 11:04 AM   #94 (permalink)
Scorpion
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apia resurrected View Post
I think only a trans person can decide that.
Same as only a person of color can decide if a behavior is racist or not. I, a white person might think something is totally fine, because of my own blind spots.
Can I a white man ask a star from the movie jango unchained about the use of the n word in that movie. Can I ask about some points off the movie and the historical accuracies or inaccuracies? Can a star of that movie say in advance I don’t want to talk about that and maybe they should mention that in advance of the interview?

I think the answer is yes for both and it doesn’t make anyone racist or in the case of this show transphobic. Again Julia made a movie about it and was on this show to talk about it AND said she was okay talking about the surgery.

It’s not the job of every Transperson to explain being trans to non trans people, any more than it’s every black persona job to talk about this experience with racism. But it is the job of some people at their choice. If I can’t talk to Rev. Jesse Jackson about being black then yes you can’t ask Julia about trans either. Julia made a documentary about it and was on this show to talk about that documentary. I don’t walk up to Rev. Jackson on the street and say ‘What’s it like trying to get a home loan?’ And This didn’t happen to Julia either, she could have said no.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote