View Single Post
Old 02-09-2022, 02:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
bag of lazers

I loved the ADD discussion in this episode! The "I don't know" thing is 200% true. I'd love to be able to remember things that were important... or even not important. Many times in school the teacher would say, "Hand in that paper/report/etc and I had no idea what they were talking about. My grades weren't exactly great and I went to summer school twice. I despised the various ADD meds they had me on in high school, but if it wasn't for their intermittent use I probably would have flunked out entirely. The problem was that all I wanted to do was theater and music and I felt like the meds crushed my creativity. I felt heavy, like there was a thick weighted blanket on top of me.

ADD is a like a lot of other disorders where it's a list of features, and if you have most of them you're considered ADD. For me the only real litmus test is how you react to ADD drugs like Ritalin: Does it calm your brain down so you can get shit done that you never would have otherwise? You have ADD. Did it act more like speed? You don't have ADD.

Today the meds are supposedly better, but I can't get a 'scrip because I live in a college town and abuse is rampant. I'd have to go to expensive therapy out of town for a long time before I could get them, so... nah.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote