View Single Post
Old 07-29-2022, 01:20 PM   #10 (permalink)
Apia resurrected
2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirteen View Post
Depends on the culture.

I would say straight hair was more wanted in recent history, at least in North America. For people of colour, it was a way to get less comments about their hair or to feel more like they're a part of Western culture. Racism was definitely a part of it.

A lot of these people (this includes so many different cultures) have beautiful curly hair and newer generations are now learning how to maintain everything. I have friends who are trying to get their parents to work on their hair more but the curly hair = ugly and umkept is so ingrained.
Absolutely it depends on the culture.
I grew up in Eastern Europe with 0 people of color, literally 0.
But this was my experience. I was told that my natural hair was not not good enough and I needed to change it if I wanted approval from society.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote