View Single Post
Old 08-21-2022, 01:21 PM   #13 (permalink)
Newsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svage View Post
Newsy saying he'll be a flagger starting out. Lol.

I work new construction/tenant improvement as a plumber. If there's one thing I know about the job site is that everyone starting out gets the shit job. It's either pushing a broom for hours on end, organizing material, fetching material, and every once in a while assisting a journeyperson with their task.

Also, just a reality, people on the job site aren't forward thinking progressives as the rest of us. Newsy being gay would definitely ruffle some feathers and cause a certain F slur to be dropped a lot in hopes of upsetting you. I still hear it to this day in conversation when someone is complaining about a dick superintendent or project manager.

Related, the company I was with most recently, hired on two apprentices. The union dispatched them and the office guy let my foreman know that one of the apprentices is a trans man, and to watch their language around them because it could mean trouble. For the most part the older guys treated this new apprentice like any regular person, but while I would sit in the office at the end of the day or during lunch.. one of the journeymen would be talking reckless about how he's pushing and pushing the "issue" of that apprentice being Trans to their face.

All this to say, if you can stomach being disrespected to your face and in private when you're not around, then go for it. Pick a trade and stick to it. Nothing is too hard, it's just about learning and knowing to ask questions when you don't understand something. It's really rewarding and the money isn't bad either. A journeyperson in my trade makes 53$/hr plus benefits, journeypeople in the other trades make anywhere from 40$-60$/hr it just depends on what interests you.

Honestly I am very sensitive and I would have a revenge list by the end of the week. Maybe I need to start a Queer Labor trade. Everything is goddamn Field of Dreams in my life.

But thank you for all this. I should just apprentice under someone and keep it at that. I don't mind being an All Time Assistant in my life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(Offline)   Reply With Quote