Thread: 3621: Proof
View Single Post
Old 01-31-2023, 06:09 PM   #14 (permalink)
MongoMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzy1e View Post
Chemda has probably saved herself from her knee pain by cycling. Doctors usually advise people with knee issues to do exercises to strengthen the muscles around the knee to support it. I hope your knee continues to be strong, dear Chemda.
This is exactly right. Strong musculature around the joint will help a ton w/ managing joint issues. A strong hamstring can cover for a bad ACL and quad for PCL. Biking is not the most efficient approach; weight lifting (properly) is really your best bet here. See below further discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apia resurrected View Post
One more vote for cycling. You move the knee, it’s low impact, the weight isn’t all an the knee.
I think this made a huge difference.
This however is wrong (surprise, surprise from Apnea Reinvigorated). Incredibly submaximal loading of a bike such that the forces are probably only marginally higher than walking (if your getting after it) probably wont do much. I do agree that doing something dumb like running isn't a smart move here given the impact stress is counterproductive in this position. The best possible way to slow OA is through intermittent high levels of hydro-static stress. This means mechanically loading the joint intermittently (rather than just being a fat and chronically carrying additional load). Hydro stresses are what will keep your cartilage healthy and the bone disregulation at bay. Axial tensile stress will help repair/grow bone but that isn't particularly relevant here but could help with some of your other supporting tendon connection spots etc overtime which can't hurt. I don't think the movement is the key here, loading properly will get you far further.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote