Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums HUAR! Command Center

HUAR! Command Center HUAR! news

Old 04-04-2007, 03:37 PM   #1 (permalink)

Terminator 2 robots may soon become reality

Squeeze bots
Remember the morphing robot T-1000 from the film Terminator 2? Could something like that ever become a reality? The folks at DARPA apparently think so. Last week they issued a request for proposals on developing so-called Chemical Robots (ChemBots), which would change shape in order to squeeze through tiny gaps.

The DARPA request states that ChemBots should be "soft, flexible, mobile objects that can identify and manoeuvre through openings smaller than their static structural dimensions". It goes on to add that, "nature provides many examples of ChemBot functionality. Many soft creatures, including mice, octopi, and insects, readily traverse openings barely larger than their largest 'hard' component."

True enough, but it seems like a very tricky challenge. Even the most sophisticated modular robot would obviously have difficulty squeezing through something smaller than its normal size.
So I wonder what the best approach might be. How about using shape-memory alloys, electro-active polymers, or even rheological substances? Are there other materials that might prove useful? And what would such a thing look like?

From: http://www.newscientist.com/blog/tec...eeze-bots.html
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 05:17 PM   #2 (permalink)

Location: Inside of Barbie's Dreamhouse (she's tied up in the closet)
Survival of the fittest, bitches. Its on!
Old 04-18-2007, 07:08 AM   #3 (permalink)

I'm scared.
maybe i should move to that country... you know the one with the sick hungry kids on the tv... they cant afford robots so i should be safe there.