Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums HUAR! Command Center

HUAR! Command Center HUAR! news

Old 07-08-2007, 05:10 PM   #1 (permalink)

Mexicans being replaced by robots?

The Robotic Weed-Puller

Robots that traverse desert race courses or explore distant planets are undoubtedly cool, but ultimately we’re all hoping that engineers don’t lose sight of the real goal for such capable machines. We want them to do the stuff we don’t want to do. For instance, vacuum and scrub our floors.
Now, though, scientists at Denmark’s Aarhus University are designing a robot to carry out one of the most mundane and annoying outdoor tasks: weeding. The group is modifying an existing lawn-mowing robot, the controversial Spider, so that it can use simple mechanical weeding tools, and even lasers for frying the pesky growths. The new robot, called the Hortibot, would still need someone to operate it, but would be capable of doing the work of ten people. It could also be equipped with micro-sprayers that would drastically cut the amount of chemicals applied to kill the weeds, reducing the potential for environmental damage. Don’t go putting one on your birthday list, though. The current price has been reported to be somewhere between $55,000 and $71,000.—Gregory Mone
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 05:13 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by callum View Post
The Robotic Weed-Puller

Robots that traverse desert race courses or explore distant planets are undoubtedly cool, but ultimately we’re all hoping that engineers don’t lose sight of the real goal for such capable machines. We want them to do the stuff we don’t want to do. For instance, vacuum and scrub our floors.
Now, though, scientists at Denmark’s Aarhus University are designing a robot to carry out one of the most mundane and annoying outdoor tasks: weeding. The group is modifying an existing lawn-mowing robot, the controversial Spider, so that it can use simple mechanical weeding tools, and even lasers for frying the pesky growths. The new robot, called the Hortibot, would still need someone to operate it, but would be capable of doing the work of ten people. It could also be equipped with micro-sprayers that would drastically cut the amount of chemicals applied to kill the weeds, reducing the potential for environmental damage. Don’t go putting one on your birthday list, though. The current price has been reported to be somewhere between $55,000 and $71,000.—Gregory Mone
First off, lasers to kill weeds...little overkill don't you think? Second, I'm not sure the time I spend a day pulling weeds is worth nearly 4 years of my annual salary.
Old 07-10-2007, 02:50 AM   #3 (permalink)

I think i'll pull a few weeds if it keeps the robots at bay.