Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums KATGtv

Old 09-03-2009, 01:31 PM   #41 (permalink)
PARTY! SUPER PARTY!

hell no!

What is Hell? What is murder? I'm gonna need a little more information to enjoy this. Why is there fire in Hell? Some people don't believe there's really fire in Hell. Some people don't even believe in Hell! Maybe this video should start with a short introduction in Catholicism. Who is Hitler? Explain.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 02:05 PM   #42 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
What is Hell? What is murder? I'm gonna need a little more information to enjoy this. Why is there fire in Hell? Some people don't believe there's really fire in Hell. Some people don't even believe in Hell! Maybe this video should start with a short introduction in Catholicism. Who is Hitler? Explain.
I'm just pointing out some things about the video that might be unfamiliar to a non-listener to provide some constructive criticism. This video would not work to bring in new listeners. Of course everyone has a general idea of what hell might look like. You're taking way off what my point is for humor and I appreciate that. (Keith's new standup CD and DVD "Culture Shock" available on presale keithandthegirl.com/store)
Old 09-03-2009, 02:45 PM   #43 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolarBearAttack View Post
I'm just pointing out some things about the video that might be unfamiliar to a non-listener to provide some constructive criticism. This video would not work to bring in new listeners. Of course everyone has a general idea of what hell might look like. You're taking way off what my point is for humor and I appreciate that. (Keith's new standup CD and DVD "Culture Shock" available on presale keithandthegirl.com/store)
You are correct - this cannot go Viral.

Of course, for none of the reasons that you have based your College Thesis on.

Because in a landscape of redundant, ignorant bullshit on the web, something remotely clever that would require a person to have three of their brain cells to accidentally bang together to spark a thought could never possibly go Viral.

No, instead we will be subjected to the latest cat that cannot find the correct way out of a paper bag. Oh look, fluffernutter is lost again! grab the camera!

The video was genius, the animation was spot on, the subtly and economy of expression was absolutely brilliant. The added testament is to the fact the actual dialog of the Episode lent itself perfectly to the animation. There are writers who spend hours trying to come up with a seemingly "witty" short, and this was done on the fly, from the hip and stuck the landing.

I do not think Keith missed your point by the way, I mean, I think your point was simply caught up a little in Bullshit Batter. Hose it off, and you might do better next time.
Old 09-03-2009, 02:47 PM   #44 (permalink)

I just showed this to a non-listener and he didn't understand who the opening letter was from.

Otherwise aces 10. Seen it about 5 times and lolled every time.
Old 09-03-2009, 03:20 PM   #45 (permalink)

Ok, here's my point again without fluff.

- Something funny is said on KATG
- KATG listeners laugh
- A talented person takes that clip and makes a funny animation off it
- KATG listeners laugh harder
- KATG (on episode 1033) think is the shit of shits and ask their fans to show it to their friends as an intro to KATG
- I agree that the TV episode is awesome, but I think it needs some background information before showing it to non-listeners making it NOT the shit of shits.

Ok, I lied here's a little fluff, I think Chemda gets caugh up on promoting the show and gets over-excited about what fans do for KATG. I try to overlook every time I notice this. But this time it hit a special part of my brain that made me chime in about it.
Old 09-03-2009, 05:23 PM   #46 (permalink)

I definitely see what you mean about the letter aspect -- I added those words at the start of the vid, in a typewriter font, to make it clear they were reading a letter. But it's true that there's no explanation that KATG is a talk show, and that this is a letter from an irate listener. I have found myself doing a quick recap before I play it for people, and anyone coming in cold might find it confusing.

But I don't think trying to spread the video could hurt anything. I think most people will mostly understand it, and maybe they won't rush out to look up KATG, but it'll likely stick in their heads. Then if they come across something else KATG related in the future, they'll remember that it's by the same people who were in the funny hell animation.

Nothing about this animation was planned, it was an unexpected present from Erik, and it does seem to be striking a chord. Maybe it won't buzz the same way with non-fans, but the internet always needs a new funny video, and this may as well be one of them. As gift horses go, it's pretty sweet.
Old 09-03-2009, 07:49 PM   #47 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenbyte View Post
The video was genius, the animation was spot on, the subtly and economy of expression was absolutely brilliant. ...this was done on the fly, from the hip and stuck the landing.
Not relevent to the discussion, but I like your manner of discourse, Bytesy. <3
Old 09-03-2009, 09:15 PM   #48 (permalink)

I have to say that when I did the animation I had no real intention or inclination of it becoming a KATGtv episode. That's why there's no real context to the animation on my part. I just did it for the fun of it and thought I'd show it off on the forums.

If it becomes viral then cool. That's great for KATG and great for me. Otherwise I'm just happy I've been able to make a whole bunch of people laugh.

Also, thanks to everyone for the kind words! Shout outs to those who even commented on my website!
Old 09-04-2009, 10:32 AM   #49 (permalink)
PARTY! SUPER PARTY!

How it started

YouTube - KATG Clip: Only Assholes Get MS

Linked so that you can add comments.
Old 09-04-2009, 11:27 AM   #50 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolarBearAttack View Post
Ok, here's my point again without fluff.

- Something funny is said on KATG
- KATG listeners laugh
- A talented person takes that clip and makes a funny animation off it
- KATG listeners laugh harder
- KATG (on episode 1033) think is the shit of shits and ask their fans to show it to their friends as an intro to KATG
- I agree that the TV episode is awesome, but I think it needs some background information before showing it to non-listeners making it NOT the shit of shits.

Ok, I lied here's a little fluff, I think Chemda gets caugh up on promoting the show and gets over-excited about what fans do for KATG. I try to overlook every time I notice this. But this time it hit a special part of my brain that made me chime in about it.
The point of the bit is that Chemda was going to burn in hell for laughing at a joke. Was that really as bad as anything Hitler, Jack the Ripper, or a child molester ever did? Of course not. That's what makes the video funny. I think it stands out on its own as a funny video because the animation shows a shamed Chemda, where you can actually hear her laughing. It's ironic that your opinion that this video is not appropriate for all was prompted by a letter from someone whom the original joke was not appropriate for. If you don't think this video is good for certain non-listeners, then show them a different one, perhaps "Game Night" or "Phenomenon!". There are certainly enough videos to choose from.