Latest Episode
Play
Old 12-11-2009, 10:53 AM   #31 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
How dare you.
All that praise and he focus on the one little itsy bitsy negative.

How comedian of you, man.

(You did not repeat any joke BTW, i know your stuff. So you deserve an apology)
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 10:56 AM   #32 (permalink)
PARTY! SUPER PARTY!

This mother fucker was trying to ruin my career and take food from my kids' mouths!
(Online)   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 11:10 AM   #33 (permalink)

Humble Narrator is a plant by Jesse.

Quitting smoking, geting married and being a far inferior comic than you are are eating his brain and he wants to destroy you with false accusations.

Admit it Humble. He paid you.
Old 12-11-2009, 11:29 AM   #34 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkenstein View Post
Humble Narrator is a plant by Jesse.

Quitting smoking, geting married and being a far inferior comic than you are are eating his brain and he wants to destroy you with false accusations.

Admit it Humble. He paid you.
I'm sorry, I'm too busy looking through show notes for the 4-pills joke to answer to your horseshit. (that's a Jesse reference, not an insult)

My brain is like a half-broke, Chinese knock-off model of Jeremy's. Just enough of a memory to get myself into trouble.

I don't suppose Jeremy will throw me a line. If it wasn't coming of age like I have burned into my brain, it was an episode with Adam Brown from about two years ago.

And fuck me. One smack-down from Keith and I'm rebuying Coming of Age to cover my ass. Fuck your kids. Their food is delicious.

And who was that chick with the distinctive cackle in Coming of Age??

Old 12-11-2009, 11:36 AM   #35 (permalink)
PARTY! SUPER PARTY!

Was this an apology?
(Online)   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 11:43 AM   #36 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Was this an apology?
an apology that includes "fuck your kids?"

or one that has me now being the embarrased owner of both a DVD copy of Coming of Age (in storage back in my old city) and a digital copy of the audio for $9 on Amazon (you're welcome).

or better yet, one that ends with me once again only getting your attention for being an asshole (goddamn it. I'm really not a douchebag).

no. I'm not apologizing until I can include the timing of the first time I heard you tell it.

Here's to always getting myself on your bad side. cheers. and fuck me.
Old 12-11-2009, 11:47 AM   #37 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumbleNarrator View Post
And who was that chick with the distinctive cackle in Coming of Age??
I always thought it was either Chemda or Patrice.

The joke wasnt repeated he probably had similar themes but he never repeated a joke in his standup (i have a shitty memory for everything but i listen to stand up repeatedly and remember jokes. old jeremy could do the trick, but modern jeremy is busy making spreadsheets and gamble the paychecks).

But let's end this conversation. He's a comedian. He'll stay awake all night trying to remember if he actually said anything twice (and i'm sure he didnt, cause he never ever does)
Old 12-11-2009, 01:20 PM   #38 (permalink)

Kevin Smith mentioned awhile ago about how the 70 thousand people on his official forums would constantly argue and be pricks, and how it made him hate the internet. But on twitter he has 1.5 million followers who only say nice things, and it made him love the internet. I thought that was really interesting and weird. For some reason, forums are a breeding ground for confict.

Anyway, here's a quick rundown of how I edit standup. I thought it would be easier than freeform editing, but it's actually much harder. There's not a lot of room for creativity. Instead it's almost constant problem solving.

First, there's the removal of unusable footage. Sometimes the digital video glitches out, with the footage exploding into messed up pixels for a few seconds. The auto focus also occasionally focuses on the wrong thing, making everything blur. So all that gets tossed immediately.

The second round is to try not to use shots where someone is walking in front of the camera, the camera is moving, or Keith's head is cut off. I also try not to use shots of the back of Keith's head, obviously.

Round three is to try to edit in the way Keith & Chemda prefer for standup: Mainly trying to keep Keith's arms visible when he gestures, and doing camera angle changes during back and forth conversations when possible.

All of that leaves things pretty straightjacketed -- not a lot of wiggle room for creative thinking. This standup was actually easier to edit than the pro dvd recordings, because the cameras were static. Those camera guys at the yearly shoot are all over the place sometimes. They get a little too fancy for an editor's good.

Generally I just go with my gut on editing, and when I watch back I let my reptile brain decide if something feels weird. I remember I tried to edit Sue Everybody with the sound off, just going by Keith's gestures. It was a disaster, it felt like an alien edited it, so I started over.

So, 3 camera shoots are a weird thing to edit. I definitely prefer putting together hot dog challenges and stuff like that. Way more room to experiment. With standup there's no way to do some kind of brilliant, clever edit. You just gotta try not to get in the way of the standup itself. With the Chili Off, you might be able to notice that I did something cool. With standup, you're probably only gonna notice if I do something that feels off. Way less fun.

I thought the camera setup worked really well, especially considering the small space of the Bowery Poetry Club. It was also pretty sweet not to have to set that stuff up myself, it was just done, like magic! I think it was Newsy, Corey Wookietv, and one of the Mikes upstairs? Several guys named Mike in NY, so I'm not sure which one. But fine job all around!

Last edited by McNally; 12-11-2009 at 01:23 PM.
Old 12-11-2009, 01:27 PM   #39 (permalink)

Not to underrate your points Mr McNally, but Kevin Smith is an attention addict, but is the worst at handling criticism. He's a funny fella but i saw a recent Q&A he did in a bookstore and he tends to turn on anyone who even doubts his opinions. He's a very unbalanced man.
Old 12-11-2009, 01:34 PM   #40 (permalink)

No doubt, but I feel a kinship, 'cause I ain't so different. Being KATG famous taught me that if I ever became big time famous, I would become a coked out surreal life weirdo in a matter of years. I don't like when people say mean things, and I can't even be bothered to pretend otherwise.

Now, if I could just take care of my habit of saying mean things to others... that's the hard one.