Keith and The Girl Forums

Keith and The Girl Forums (https://www.keithandthegirl.com/forums/)
-   What's My Name (https://www.keithandthegirl.com/forums/f25/)
-   -   13: Marriage: Men (https://www.keithandthegirl.com/forums/f25/13-marriage-men-16783/)

The Girl 11-30-2011 05:02 PM

13: Marriage: Men

Comedians Christian Finnegan, Pat Dixon, and Jesse Joyce discuss love, weddings, and marriage.

Christian Finnegan

Comedian Pat Dixon

Jesse Joyce

This entire show is available on KATG VIP along with...

Access to over 2,700 Keith and The Girl in-studio episodes dating back to March 2005.

Constantly updated VIP only podcasts, bonus shows and special offers including:
  • Chemda's What's My Name podcast
  • Keith's My Name Is Keith podcast
  • What Do We Do Now?
  • Andrea's WHAT'S UP, A?
  • Flavor of the Month
  • Bottoms Up with Hennessy
  • Myq Kaplan's Super Hang
  • That's the Show with Danny!
  • The Brother Love Owwwr!
  • Myka Fox & Friends
  • INTERNment podcast
  • All KATGtv episodes
  • A look back with KATG Beginnings episodes
  • Special discounts and offers

Click here to get more info about KATG VIP!

skyelo 11-30-2011 10:00 PM

Loved this show and would love to hear their wives perspective of marriage, or just the female perspective. We think we know what women think of marriage and weddings (Bridezilla, Kardashian princess wedding, etc), but everyones' beliefs, priorities, expectations, and experiences are different. Very interesting.

WittyReference 11-30-2011 11:07 PM

Great show with fantastic guests! Best one yet.

I've been with my girlfriend for 12 years, lived together for 10 years and we aren't married because neither of us can be bothered to organise it or have any desire to be the centre of attention. We'd rather put the money towards getting a house. We're officially classed as De-Facto now so there isn't much difference besides the rings and papers.

We used to get hassled by our parents regularly with the "When are you getting married" questions which only stopped once we changed saying "never" to "someday".

Thumbnail 12-01-2011 12:23 PM

Great show, very insightful.

Fortunately I'm one of those low maintenance gals.

Been with my boyfriend for 12 years, 5 living together.
When my grandfather passed away my parents inherited half a building and are letting us live for free in one of the apartments. Also the house was pretty old so they fixed it up, let me chose tiles and shit, put new windows, new kitchen, the works.
I would not forgive myself if I was to spend a dollar of their money on my wedding. They would gladly pay for it but... they gave me A HOUSE!

When or if we get married it will be on our terms: just close family at the notary and no fucking wedding dress.

The wedding industry is a waste of money and if I'm scraping and saving all year around, why the hell would I have a wedding, with the overpriced dress and the feeding of idiot family members I run from my entire life.

I'm low maintenance and I'm definitely not an overthinker so we just move our lives forward, happily and with lots of love, after all these years. The party would only stress me out; this way, I'm just happy.

Junkenstein 12-01-2011 03:34 PM

great show. as a person who isnt really into the idea of marriage, i wouldve loved to hear pat standing his ground more. he was making great points and yet joyce and finnegan played the whole "hahahaha its sad old pat", trick.

Cortney 12-01-2011 10:30 PM

I've never been married, but i think the financial benefits are for things that require a credit check (car, house...). Cause as long as both have decent to good credit its like a double income applying for the loan. Why us single peeps might have to get a co-signer.

I always love hearing the perspective of guys. Especially regarding relationships. My parents divorced when i was little, so i didnt get to see what a relationship looked like as a kid.

LOVE THE SHOW!!!

Keith 12-02-2011 07:54 PM

I started taking notes from right in the beginning when Chemda calls them out on the 'financial benefits of being married' bullshit. Then I soon realized that if I made a note of every interesting point, I'd be writing down the entire show, so I stopped.

Another A+ episode is what I'm saying.

Dean from Australia 12-04-2011 10:34 PM

Hands down - one of the finest episodes of WMN...and, arguably KaTG, this year - perhaps ever.

I got married in my mid 20's thinking I was all in love and it was all beautiful. Part of it was to satisfy a life long expectation that marriage was the thing to do because that's what my parents had done.

In my early 30's the continuing weight of expectation, my inability to open up about a lot of things and an inability on both our parts to communicate effectively lead my wife to call time on our marriage.

Stupidly, I didn't see it coming. Even more stupidly, I didn't expect the 18 months of her trying to reconcile with me, even after I had moved onto a new relationship. I couldn't go back, recognizing that the rot had probably set in about 2 years before it fell apart.

I'm 7 years into my new relationship and though we are engaged, the topic of marriage is not really a priority for us. We have two children - 5 and 2 - and we are both concentrating on the optimum functionality of our relationship. I brought a lot of baggage to this new relationship - both from my failed marriage and more generally from myself, my childhood - so we have spent alot of time unpacking that and squaring it away.

If and when we do get married, we've agreed it will be low key. We'll go to the registry office in town, sign the requisite papers, then invite our closest friends to a party in the back garden - a spit roast or something similar. If we can't do it for under 2k I'll be very surprised.

Bill Cosby once said of marriage;

'And now in a marriage, my wife and I love each other but I will tell you in a minute we've had some arguments!

I've called her some names I was proud I even thought of...And my wife has run some off on me that I've written down!'

archicat 12-05-2011 08:20 AM

Keith and I had a virtual date listening to this, was very fun. I think maybe the best WMN yet, show keeps getting better and better. I love hearing different views and opinions on relationships, and this was especially interesting hearing a man's POV on marriage and the wedding. Can't wait for the female version.

rubbintheboywanker 12-05-2011 08:47 AM

Another great episode...
I waited until I was 39yo until I got married. I kept getting the 'when are you getting married' question since I was 25. Finally met my wife - got engaged when it felt right and married very shortly after.

Financial benefits I can see from being married:
One mortgage payment (we both had houses before we got married)
Possible lower taxes from filing jointly