Keith and The Girl Forums

Keith and The Girl Forums (https://www.keithandthegirl.com/forums/)
-   What's My Name (https://www.keithandthegirl.com/forums/f25/)
-   -   24: How to Be Black (https://www.keithandthegirl.com/forums/f25/24-how-black-16967/)

The Girl 03-14-2012 12:10 PM

24: How to Be Black

Baratunde Thurston talks about how to be black.

How To Be Black

This entire show is available on KATG VIP along with...

Access to over 2,700 Keith and The Girl in-studio episodes dating back to March 2005.

Constantly updated VIP only podcasts, bonus shows and special offers including:
  • Chemda's What's My Name podcast
  • Keith's My Name Is Keith podcast
  • What Do We Do Now?
  • Andrea's WHAT'S UP, A?
  • Flavor of the Month
  • Bottoms Up with Hennessy
  • Myq Kaplan's Super Hang
  • That's the Show with Danny!
  • The Brother Love Owwwr!
  • Myka Fox & Friends
  • INTERNment podcast
  • All KATGtv episodes
  • A look back with KATG Beginnings episodes
  • Special discounts and offers

Click here to get more info about KATG VIP!

poingjam 03-14-2012 01:25 PM

This episode was great. I never thought of the inner city as being under siege, but that describes it perfectly. Time to buy the book.

Quintinerion 03-30-2012 02:11 AM

On the subject above there has been quite a few. I am a mixed raced person, Half Irish and Jewish American and Iraqi. I look 100 percent white, but have an Arab name, Omar. I was at a bar and struck up a conversation with this white girl, things were going good until I told her my name. She asked “Are you Muslim?” I said I was raised one. She then looked at the drink I bought her, set it down and just walked away.Not the first girl who has walked away because of my name...................

Bucho 03-30-2012 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quintinerion (Post 722349)
I look 100 percent white ...

No need to brag.

LilMissF-U-UP 08-21-2012 10:29 AM

I loved listening to Baratunde. He was very charismatic and his outro music was the best. You find the most interesting guests. I'm a black person who grew up in the inner city. My experiences with other races growing up was very limited. If there was a white person at my school, they were such a minority that they probably would have been scared to try the hair thing or even ask questions out of curiosity. I was never the minority in the room until I grew up and began exploring lands beyond my neighborhood. I've been lucky in that I have surrounded myself with a rainbow of generally accepting, intelligent people. I haven't had any hugely traumatic moments of ignorance in my life...

My youngest sister, though, tried to share her cookies with the one white kid in her grade as an elementary school student. That kid said something to the effect of 'I don't want it because you're black', surrounded by black classmates, teachers, administrators, etc. I don't know if she survived in that school.