Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums What's My Name

What's My Name The Girl's show

Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By bw81
  • 2 Post By BrianAlt

Old 02-16-2012, 05:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
Chamsa! Chamsa!

21: Are You Autistic?

Brian Gordon answers questions about autism, from recognizing it to understanding and responding to the behaviors of someone on the autistic spectrum.

BSG SOCIAL LEARNING: You Can't Put a Cap On Potential

This entire show is available on KATG VIP along with...

Access to over 2,700 Keith and The Girl in-studio episodes dating back to March 2005.

Constantly updated VIP only podcasts, bonus shows and special offers including:
  • Chemda's What's My Name podcast
  • Keith's My Name Is Keith podcast
  • What Do We Do Now?
  • Andrea's WHAT'S UP, A?
  • Flavor of the Month
  • Bottoms Up with Hennessy
  • Myq Kaplan's Super Hang
  • That's the Show with Danny!
  • The Brother Love Owwwr!
  • Myka Fox & Friends
  • INTERNment podcast
  • All KATGtv episodes
  • A look back with KATG Beginnings episodes
  • Special discounts and offers

Click here to get more info about KATG VIP!

Last edited by MichaelApproved; 12-13-2012 at 11:07 PM.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 06:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
Official KATG Fucktard Club

Yes. Probably. Yes.
Old 02-18-2012, 08:34 AM   #3 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

i always love the show, seems like Chemda's way to get people at ease and opening up, brings out some of the best interviews you can have.

this one was especioally fascinating and warm. so many things on autism and social anxiety got much clearer while listening.

thanks to both
Old 02-20-2012, 01:19 AM   #4 (permalink)

Brian Gordon sounds like a cross between Ira Glass and Myq Kaplan.

Great episode!
Old 02-21-2012, 11:59 AM   #5 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

So glad that in 2012 there are people like Brian out there learning how to work with these 'atypical' people. Life was so much more messy and inconventient when we had to use exorcism and witch burnings to deal with them.
Old 02-21-2012, 01:58 PM   #6 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

It's very true that while listening to this show you find yourself saying to yourself, "wait a minute! I'm like that!"

Then you relax and realize that sure, you're like that. But that's just a small piece to the overall puzzle.

I think there's a pun there somewhere.
Old 02-21-2012, 02:44 PM   #7 (permalink)
PARTY! SUPER PARTY!

Well don't take my hand so that I help you figure out that puzzle. That's not how it works.
Old 03-01-2012, 02:12 AM   #8 (permalink)

I learned something more than I ever thought in this episode, the fact that those with aspergers/autism/etc have difficulty communicating due to the fact that they can't imagine people NOT seeing their way naturally was eye opening.

I feel I have a part of that as well, it's hampered my ability to teach my kids early on until I tried to address it, but I struggle with it. Having a severe lack of patience doesn't help.

Love your interviewing style, Chemda. I can honestly say that you bring something really special to this show. Things I might have been so-so on in any other show seem that much more intersting.

**Edit - Poingjam, I assume you moved this here. Thanks, I don't know what happened. I could have sworn I posted in 21... ah well. It was late.

Last edited by andsoitgoes; 03-01-2012 at 02:33 PM.
Old 02-10-2014, 11:52 PM   #9 (permalink)
Administrator
24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

We recently had our son diagnosed as having autism and it was an arduous process but based on what we have read how things go overseas we are extremely lucky. Both in terms of how long it took to get him diagnosed (about 6 months though we had to go private as the government funded program was taking FOREVER - which is time that he could be getting help) and the therapies available to us here. There is funding at a federal and state level too which will help out a lot till he is 6 (when the funding is cut off).

Since we have caught it so early (he is only 2.5) the therapies he has already started going to should hopefully help him much more than had we caught it later on.

My wife listened to this episode too which was great to be able to bounce things off each other about it. Would have liked to have know a bit more about his day to day with his students but it was still a great listen.

It's been very hard at times to think about things we normally wouldn't be worrying about at his age;
- Will he be able to make friends?
- Will he be able to find someone to love him?
- Will he be able to support himself?
- Will he actually love us, will he know what love even is, etc....
- Is he going to be subject to bullying more?

... it was very confronting and overwhelming for a while there.

Luckily our daughter is not only patient with us in dealing with him (so far...) but she is also mimicking the way we deal with him which only helps solidify what he is learning.

But now we are at the stage where regardless of his diagnosis, he needs speech therapy and some social therapy to help him. So we are going to do whatever we need to to help him on his journey. We're both very involved, active parents and replicate his therapies at home so that we can make the most of it for him.

A big issue we are finding with kids who have Autism in my daughters pre-primary is that not a lot of people know what autism is. So the parents are quick to judge and you can see their kids replicating this judgement - it angers me and I have to bite my tongue often. I think that if there is an autistic kid in a classroom then everyone including students, teachers, parents should be given a little heads up as to what it is about. If it were their child they wouldn't appreciate the judging that is imposed on these kids that I see.

Last edited by bw81; 02-11-2014 at 12:39 AM. Reason: More thoughts
Old 02-11-2014, 07:02 AM   #10 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

A friends child was diagnosed early on and immediately started therapy. Now the young girl is 15 and doesn't display any symptoms. Keep doing everything you need to do. It will make all the difference in the world.
andsoitgoes and bw81 like this.