Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums What's My Name

What's My Name The Girl's show

Like Tree89Likes

Old 07-20-2013, 01:56 PM   #101 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by myq View Post
But your experience sounds unique, so if you want to share more, please feel free to. But of course, not obligated. Thanks for saying as much as you have already.
It's cool. Sooner or later I'll write more. I kinda have to be in the mood.. heh
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 03:03 PM   #102 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by myq View Post
Also, quick question for you: do you have a specific reason for not typing "god"? Are you a believer? (My understanding of why Jews don't write the word out is because you're not supposed to destroy the name of god, so if you don't fully WRITE the whole name, you can't accidentally destroy it. Is that right? If so, is that why you're doing it? Or if not, why not?)
No, not a believer, but yes, that is what I'm referencing. It's just a dumb callback I pull out at random uncalculated moments on the forums to stuff that was discussed on KATG years ago. "Stuff" being exactly what you said in brackets here.

I am a Beleiber though.
Old 07-20-2013, 03:14 PM   #103 (permalink)

Take a break and watch this -

Your head will spin.
Old 07-20-2013, 09:16 PM   #104 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelApproved View Post
If you'd like read a well researched historical investigation from a respected author, check out Proving History: Bayes's Theorem and the Quest for the Historical Jesus by Richard Carrier.
A bit late into the discussion I know, but this thread is almost as immortal as Christ our Lord.

I just wanted to chime in and say that as a person that puts much "faith" in the scientific process this well researched historical investigation seems to come from an individual with an obvious agenda. Science should be unbiased.

I'm an atheist and a scientist. Most historians agree that Christ was a real person that started a very real religion. Feel free to debate if he actually performed miracles and was the son of god. I'm not sure what the point of proving or disproving the existence of Christ really is. Either way a man named Jesus or the idea of a man named Jesus has had a hugely significant impact on the world in the past 2000 years.

Being an atheist that denies Jesus existed is a pussy move. It's never going to win an argument with a Christian. Perhaps try focusing on the fact that most atheists live in line with the teachings of Christ. You know? Treating others as you treat yourself, etc.

Militant atheists are no better than devout Christians.
Old 07-21-2013, 02:29 AM   #105 (permalink)

Mikey - do you deny the spirit world because when you were a child, cHemmo made you scared of the closet so she could get the better bed?
Old 07-27-2013, 06:05 AM   #106 (permalink)

Old 07-27-2013, 08:10 AM   #107 (permalink)
Administrator
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wibskey View Post
I just wanted to chime in and say that as a person that puts much "faith" in the scientific process this well researched historical investigation seems to come from an individual with an obvious agenda. Science should be unbiased.
Let's look at the research. What problem do you have with the information he presented?

Quote:
I'm an atheist and a scientist. Most historians agree that Christ was a real person that started a very real religion.
Jesus may have existed but the story of his life is loaded with conflicting information. I guess the question I should be posing shouldn't be whether Jesus existed, it should be which Jesus existed.

Jesus didn't start a religion. He was born and died Jewish.

Quote:
I'm not sure what the point of proving or disproving the existence of Christ really is. Either way a man named Jesus or the idea of a man named Jesus has had a hugely significant impact on the world in the past 2000 years.
We were having a debate about Christianity. In that context, the existence of Jesus and the story of his life is germane to the discussion. I was trying to show that the fundamental element of the religion, the core of it, is not real. The Bible is a story loosely based on historical events.

Quote:
Being an atheist that denies Jesus existed is a pussy move. It's never going to win an argument with a Christian. Perhaps try focusing on the fact that most atheists live in line with the teachings of Christ. You know? Treating others as you treat yourself, etc.
So, saying that I made a "pussy move" is in line with those teachings?

I'm not trying to "win an argument". I'm trying to educate others while learning a few things myself by having a discussion on this topic.

Quote:
Militant atheists are no better than devout Christians.
My reply is this comic: atheistcartoons.com » unholy trinity

BTW - Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck you and welcome to the forums! =D

Last edited by MichaelApproved; 07-27-2013 at 08:12 AM. Reason: Forgot to properly welcome wibskey to the fourms (are we still doing that?)
Old 07-27-2013, 03:11 PM   #108 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelApproved View Post
Jesus may have existed but the story of his life is loaded with conflicting information. I guess the question I should be posing shouldn't be whether Jesus existed, it should be which Jesus existed.
Do (most?) atheists believe that Jesus existed but like Judaism, believe he was a false messiah?

I know atheists don't believe in messiahs of any kind but I hope you understand what I'm asking. Maybe I should have asked just "Do (most?) atheists believe that Jesus existed?" heh

Last edited by DJQuad; 07-27-2013 at 03:13 PM.
Old 07-28-2013, 10:02 AM   #109 (permalink)
Administrator
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJQuad View Post
Do (most?) atheists believe that Jesus existed but like Judaism, believe he was a false messiah?

I know atheists don't believe in messiahs of any kind but I hope you understand what I'm asking. Maybe I should have asked just "Do (most?) atheists believe that Jesus existed?" heh
I'm not sure what the consensuses is in the community. The bigger and clearer argument is to address the information in the Bible and other religious texts. The "word of God" is full of inconsistencies, contradictions and demonstrably false information. It's an easier point to make and it's just as impactful.
Old 07-28-2013, 10:04 AM   #110 (permalink)
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scumhook View Post
Mikey - do you deny the spirit world because when you were a child, cHemmo made you scared of the closet so she could get the better bed?
I don't think Chemda made me scared of the closet. She just capitalized on my existing fear.