Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums What's My Name

What's My Name The Girl's show

Like Tree89Likes

Old 08-01-2013, 09:52 AM   #131 (permalink)
Administrator
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJQuad View Post
There are a lot of good answers in that thread. People there are very knowledgeable.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 04:48 PM   #132 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelApproved View Post
There are a lot of good answers in that thread. People there are very knowledgeable.
Is there a way to somehow only see which posts are new? I don't use Reddit much because most threads fork into a lot of different mini-discussions within that same thread and it's hard to tell which are new.
Old 08-01-2013, 04:53 PM   #133 (permalink)
myq

Quote:
Is there a way to somehow only see which posts are new? I don't use Reddit much because most threads fork into a lot of different mini-discussions within that same thread and it's hard to tell which are new.
Up at the top, you can choose how to view the responses, and you should pick "newest" to be what's at the top.

And/or if they are responding to things that YOU said, you can look at the red envelope in the top right area, click there, and it will show you those newest things.

There might be one other thing I'm not thinking of. Good luck!
MichaelApproved likes this.
Old 08-01-2013, 04:58 PM   #134 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by myq View Post
I actually think that trying to come up with specific labels to describe beliefs is less useful than talking about the beliefs themselves, because when you use a label, it's not always clear that people assign the exact same meaning to it. (For example, the Wikipedia page on atheism says that "Most inclusively, atheism is simply the absence of belief that any deities exist," so perhaps I'm an "inclusive atheist." Or perhaps I'm an apatheist. Or perhaps I'm an agnostic. Those labels don't matter.)
Yeah I agree, but don't those terms have pretty strict definitions of their beliefs? Labels suck but the definitions help describe the definition.
Old 08-01-2013, 05:05 PM   #135 (permalink)

Quote:
Up at the top, you can choose how to view the responses, and you should pick "newest" to be what's at the top.

And/or if they are responding to things that YOU said, you can look at the red envelope in the top right area, click there, and it will show you those newest things.

There might be one other thing I'm not thinking of. Good luck!
Aha! That helps a ton. Thanks!

I can't believe a comedian I've seen on network TV many times just taught me how to use Reddit. That's pretty cool. heh
MichaelApproved and Scumhook like this.
Old 08-01-2013, 05:18 PM   #136 (permalink)
myq

Quote:
Yeah I agree, but don't those terms have pretty strict definitions of their beliefs? Labels suck but the definitions help describe the definition.
What I'm saying is, if someone tells you exactly what they think and believe, and you say "so you would fall under this label then?" that's missing the point.

If the goal is to, as you say, "help describe the definition," then stop if you've already achieved that goal. If someone gives you a description of their beliefs, don't translate it into a label and then back into a definition.

On that reddit page, someone had a good response, something about how atheism is essentially a reaction to theism. Literally, it means "without theism," and wouldn't exist if people weren't being all theistic. It's not that atheists started going around yelling that there was no god. It was only in response to people who were like "there's a god!" that atheism reared its reactive head.

Another point I liked over there was the distinction that atheism is not necessarily a belief in a lack of a god, but rather a lack of a belief.

And you're welcome. By the end of this I'll have taught you all about the internet and godlessness!
Old 08-01-2013, 05:54 PM   #137 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelApproved View Post
There is no fluke. There is a cause. It's just not known yet.
Very well put.

It's short, pithy statements like this that really help (well, help me at least).

Not to say the longer posts aren't informative, but this is like finding a diamond.

I'm going to think (and drink) over this for a while...
MichaelApproved likes this.
Old 08-01-2013, 06:26 PM   #138 (permalink)

Quote:
On that reddit page, someone had a good response, something about how atheism is essentially a reaction to theism. Literally, it means "without theism," and wouldn't exist if people weren't being all theistic. It's not that atheists started going around yelling that there was no god. It was only in response to people who were like "there's a god!" that atheism reared its reactive head.
Yeah I saw that. I don't exactly agree but I see why he came to that conclusion. Theism and Atheism have had to exist since human consciousness (millions of years ago?) and he made it sound like hippies created atheism.

I don't post a lot of reactions in that thread because I know they'd get down-voted and not seen anyway. The Internet includes as many idiots as general society.

And I should admit, I actually haven't listened to Godless yet, nor Papa Don't Preach. They're queued up and ready to go though.. lol. Should be tonight.
Old 08-01-2013, 06:48 PM   #139 (permalink)
myq

Quote:
Yeah I saw that. I don't exactly agree but I see why he came to that conclusion. Theism and Atheism have had to exist since human consciousness (millions of years ago?) and he made it sound like hippies created atheism.
On what are you basing the idea that "theism and atheism HAVE HAD TO EXIST" since that long ago?

Look here: History of atheism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
And here: Paleolithic religion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Human (pre)-history goes back a couple million years, and religious practices possibly hundreds of thousands of that, at least 30,000 according to this.
"Atheism" as a term was only coined a few hundred years ago, and there's only a record of the concept as far back as a few thousand years.

The redditor came to the conclusion that theism had to happen first because "atheism" means "without theism." You can't have a concept of "without" unless you already have "with."

It's like calling everyone "non-smokers" before the invention of fire. Saying that Australopithecus were all non-smokers seems to me to be missing something. Before smoking, there were no smokers nor non-smokers.

Also, I don't think any of this specifically matters to the larger point of this discussion. But we're having fun!
Old 08-01-2013, 07:12 PM   #140 (permalink)
Administrator
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Theism and Atheism have had to exist since human consciousness (millions of years ago?) and he made it sound like hippies created atheism.
Myq makes a good point about being a non-smoker.

It's also been explained to me that history should be divided into science/pre-science. Scientific reasoning is an extremely powerful tool that we all grew up with so it's easy to neglect how important it is in helping us understand the world around us.

Before science, people explained the world around them by anthropomorphizing natural phenomenons. A large and powerful man can pick up a heavy boulder. Scale that concept up and you explain the Sun rising because a large a powerful being made it so.

Humans have a long history of belief in the supernatural. It's only relatively recently that we've become more enlightened.