Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums What's My Name

What's My Name The Girl's show

Like Tree89Likes

Old 08-02-2013, 11:29 PM   #151 (permalink)

I'm sorry, I think I've waded in over my head. I'm not from the US so I don't think I can truly understand the emotions involved in this discussion. Gay marriage has been legal here since 2005, so I just don't think religion affects me in a way that I feel particularly passionate about.

Keep fighting the fight.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 12:52 AM   #152 (permalink)
Administrator
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wibskey View Post
My point is that it's like watching a documentary from an obviously biased source. Sure I can look at the information "presented" but what information is dismissed to make his point? As I said, he's obviously biased so I'm sorry if I dismiss him just as I would dismiss a Christian scholar proving that Christ was shooting loaves and fishes out his ass.
Fair point but isn't everyone who believes in their argument biased?

Quote:
Pardon? Some dude named Jesus started something pretty serious. Myth or real person, Christianity is still a thing.
I was saying that Jesus didn't start Christianity, he believed he was following the Jewish religion. His followers broke off from Judaism to create Christianity. A bit pedantic maybe.

Quote:
And I get that. My point is that it just doesn't matter. No Christian is going to be convinced based on the investigation of a strict atheist.
Many, many Christians have been converted by the works of strict atheists like Richard Dawkins, Christopher Hitchens and Sam Harris. I hear these stories on a regular bases.

Quote:
Christ probably called people out on bullshit in his lifetime, so sure. Argue against the message not the man/legend/myth.
That's not how the faith is setup. People believe Jesus was the savior because of the false account of his life. Jesus has a nice message but there are many followers of the Old Testament which has a more brutal message. I'm not trying to argue against a message, I don't care about the message. I'm trying to argue against the belief in a supernatural being. The message is irrelevant to my point.

Quote:
Thank you. I realize my response was worded harshly but I'm on your side. I just have a general distaste for trying to force beliefs on other people, whether they be atheist, Christian or Pastafarian.

Cheers.
Nah it's cool and good to have another voice. Text on a forum can sometimes take a harsher tone than is meant. We all know that and no one should take offense in this discussion. It's good to see you post again. I just want to make sure you know we great all first time posts with a "fuck you and welcome to the forums."

Quote:
I can safely say that all all morals are wrong because they are work works of fictions written by humans.
That's a flawed analogy. The Bible and other religious text purports itself to be a factual account of history. It pretends to be the word of a supernatural being. It can not be the word of a supernatural being because it was written and conceived of entirely by humans. That makes it a work of fiction.

The morals humans write are presented at face value. They are a code of conduct we have agreed to as a society. They are an opinion about how best to live as a community. No one is pretending it is anything else. To call it a work of fiction does not make sense.

Last edited by MichaelApproved; 08-03-2013 at 12:58 AM. Reason: Added a question and some clarification.
Old 08-03-2013, 04:28 PM   #153 (permalink)

Quote:
I'm sorry, I think I've waded in over my head. I'm not from the US so I don't think I can truly understand the emotions involved in this discussion.
You're doing fine. Debate invokes thought and hopefully, rational conversation. Nobody is gonna oust you for expressing your beliefs. Some may disagree but the cool part is it's nothing personal.

Quote:
Gay marriage has been legal here since 2005, so I just don't think religion affects me in a way that I feel particularly passionate about.
Yeah gay marriage is a different topic, although it obviously overlaps with how much interpretation one takes from the bible or other religious texts.

A general question to everyone - Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't the term "marriage" have it's roots from religion itself? It seems like marriage and the opposition to same-sex marriages has become associated with religion.

I don't believe gay marriage should be called marriage for that reason alone. There absolutely should be civil protection between any 2 people regardless of their "physical sex or orientation", but calling that marriage only defeats the cause.

Last edited by DJQuad; 08-03-2013 at 04:31 PM.
Old 08-03-2013, 04:47 PM   #154 (permalink)

For those for same-sex marriages, are you also for polygamy? It's the same reasoning - consenting adults wanting civil union.

(lol I don't believe that, just trying to stir the pot. It's fun )
Old 08-03-2013, 04:57 PM   #155 (permalink)
Administrator
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJQuad View Post
For those for same-sex marriages, are you also for polygamy? It's the same reasoning - consenting adults wanting civil union.

(lol I don't believe that, just trying to stir the pot. It's fun )
Yes. I'm for almost anything consenting adults want to do together. The issue with marriage is a bit more difficult than just decriminalizing. You have to change current laws related to tax, child custody, divorce, etc. to account for multiple partners.
Old 08-03-2013, 05:02 PM   #156 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelApproved View Post
Yes. I'm for almost anything consenting adults want to do together. The issue with marriage is a bit more difficult than just decriminalizing. You have to change current laws related to tax, child custody, divorce, etc. to account for multiple partners.
I wasn't serious, but you do believe polygamy should be legal?
Old 08-03-2013, 05:29 PM   #157 (permalink)

Quote:
The issue with marriage is a bit more difficult than just decriminalizing. You have to change current laws related to tax, child custody, divorce, etc. to account for multiple partners.
Sorry, I didn't respond to this part directly.

That's why I don't think it should be called marriage and instead be termed as a civil union or something like that. As long as it's not termed "marriage" I think the LGBT community would get a lot further with their human rights. When they use the term marriage it invokes all sorts of opposition from the right-wingers.

Why the community doesn't just approach it from a civil rights point of view is beyond me. Don't call it marriage and we'll get what we deserve.
Old 08-03-2013, 07:34 PM   #158 (permalink)
Administrator

Quote:
I wasn't serious, but you do believe polygamy should be legal?
Sure, why not. Who the hell are we to tell consenting adults they can't do something that has no impact on anyone elses life?

Quote:
Sorry, I didn't respond to this part directly.

That's why I don't think it should be called marriage and instead be termed as a civil union or something like that. As long as it's not termed "marriage" I think the LGBT community would get a lot further with their human rights. When they use the term marriage it invokes all sorts of opposition from the right-wingers.

Why the community doesn't just approach it from a civil rights point of view is beyond me. Don't call it marriage and we'll get what we deserve.
Everything, as far as the gov't is concerned, should be a civil union. If you want to be married, go to your church or other spiritual center.

But that won't happen so everything should be called marriage. There should be no distinction between heterosexual and homosexual couples.
Old 08-03-2013, 08:42 PM   #159 (permalink)

Quote:
There should be no distinction between heterosexual and homosexual couples.
Of course there shouldn't be, but right now, there is.

Until society accepts that there's no distinction, using terms like marriage doesn't do much more than perpetuate the division between both sides.

I think it would be much better to approach it as a civil union, at least for now. That in itself stops the debate about the term marriage which is clouding the minds of the religious-right.
MichaelApproved likes this.
Old 08-04-2013, 03:22 AM   #160 (permalink)

here's a twist:

You gotta have faith: the rise of the church of non-believers

EDIT: actually it sounds like what Mike & mates are doing, so not so much a twist, although the Sunday AM thing is a nice touch
DJQuad likes this.

Last edited by Scumhook; 08-04-2013 at 03:27 AM. Reason: I love cucumbers in my rectum