Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums What's My Name

What's My Name The Girl's show

Old 09-25-2013, 11:00 AM   #1 (permalink)
Administrator

49: The Producers

Adam Spiegelman, Kambri Crews, and Myka Fox talk about what it's like to be a producer for stage and television.

Share this episode: Twitter, Facebook & email

This entire show is available on KATG VIP along with...

Access to over 2,700 Keith and The Girl in-studio episodes dating back to March 2005.

Constantly updated VIP only podcasts, bonus shows and special offers including:
  • Chemda's What's My Name podcast
  • Keith's My Name Is Keith podcast
  • What Do We Do Now?
  • Andrea's WHAT'S UP, A?
  • Flavor of the Month
  • Bottoms Up with Hennessy
  • Myq Kaplan's Super Hang
  • That's the Show with Danny!
  • The Brother Love Owwwr!
  • Myka Fox & Friends
  • INTERNment podcast
  • All KATGtv episodes
  • A look back with KATG Beginnings episodes
  • Special discounts and offers

Click here to get more info about KATG VIP!

(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 01:03 PM   #2 (permalink)

love. love! love this. producing /is/ a big ole wide swath of doin's.

i started because i wanted to put on these shows/concerts/parties/galleries in my brain and it was me and bear by ourselves to do the work. apparently that's a thing with a name. it's not a lot different to me than my puppetry or papercraft; it's a medium and a tool in the ole belt.

spent the last several summers in residency designing for community story plays and living at our producer's house; watched her day to day gather and tie the threads that created these fucking fantastic NEA granted theater pieces. there's not much better an education than getting your hands dirty with a master.

watched chemda do the same every day for over five years: wanted to do a something; figured it out and got it done. take risks. try. it's ok not to know something; you can find the right person and ask the right questions. don't fear your ambition; ride it. seek and take opportunity. /work/ /fucking/ /hard./ find and harness good, competent staff. trust your gut and your ability.

my first gig was a regular girl's night at a toy store and now i've got a company and staff. do what you say you're going to do. it's easy. had a mega big moment last week when two of my people got jobs because they were seen while doing our do. amazing. affirming.

now, if /i/ could stop paying dues and make some money, that would be super. #successful #stillhungry

p.s. my musicians /always/ get paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by aunt_helen View Post
Laugh a little, chigger. The world is a fun place.

Last edited by Sparrow; 09-25-2013 at 01:07 PM.
(Online)   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 06:40 AM   #3 (permalink)
2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer

If it makes you feel better, Myka has mentioned the show that she mentions on previous shows. So it's not the first time we learned she worked on *bleep*
Old 10-02-2013, 11:53 AM   #4 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Myka also mentioned that when she was producing another reality house flipping show they threw an animal into the house and acted like it was always there.

I'm pretty sure I know the episode and the show in question, but I won't call it out here.
Old 10-03-2013, 05:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Something like that. It did involve a reality show persona doing house flips. So that's really close.
Old 10-03-2013, 08:26 PM   #6 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Another awesome episode.

I work with older adults and I have seen cases where 2 people live together just for the companionship and because they don't want to die alone. And nothing sexual is happening. They are happy for the most part.
Old 10-04-2013, 10:57 PM   #7 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer

Myka Fox's description of what exactly being a 'Producer' entails was my favorite. Why? Probably because she clearly doesn't give a fuck. And isn't a working producer...

Adam Spee-guhl-butt is a great guest. That little Louis Ck story was awesome.

Adam and Myka made it sound like a producer is basically a writer. An organizer. A...producer of the end product. It sounds like manipulation, imagination, and an ability to tag a story with an ending is a requirement. Sounds pretty cool, actually.

For better or ill: it's basically social construction. (Mostly ill) The dim-witted who watch reality tv can't tell.

Last edited by Enunciated Piffle; 10-05-2013 at 12:57 AM.