Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums What's My Name

What's My Name The Girl's show

Old 10-05-2011, 06:08 PM   #1 (permalink)
Chamsa! Chamsa!

6: Concrete Jungle

Comedian Pat Dixon, actor Faceboy, and writer Emmy Pellot give their points of view on life in NYC.

Comedian Pat Dixon

faceboy | Facebook

Sassy P. (@insectsandmeat) on Twitter

This entire show is available on KATG VIP along with...

Access to over 2,700 Keith and The Girl in-studio episodes dating back to March 2005.

Constantly updated VIP only podcasts, bonus shows and special offers including:
  • Chemda's What's My Name podcast
  • Keith's My Name Is Keith podcast
  • What Do We Do Now?
  • Andrea's WHAT'S UP, A?
  • Flavor of the Month
  • Bottoms Up with Hennessy
  • Myq Kaplan's Super Hang
  • That's the Show with Danny!
  • The Brother Love Owwwr!
  • Myka Fox & Friends
  • INTERNment podcast
  • All KATGtv episodes
  • A look back with KATG Beginnings episodes
  • Special discounts and offers

Click here to get more info about KATG VIP!

Last edited by MichaelApproved; 12-13-2012 at 11:03 PM.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 04:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

another great, amazing show. The combination of guests its perfect, with Pat more hard hitting views and tone, Emnmy's take-no-shit attitude and Faceboy's calm charm.

Love it. And Chemda has a magic skill that could make a mute man talk about himself.

If theres ever merchandise or special events devoted to Whats My Name, count me in!
Old 10-06-2011, 05:10 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkenstein View Post
another great, amazing show. The combination of guests its perfect, with Pat more hard hitting views and tone, Emnmy's take-no-shit attitude and Faceboy's calm charm.

Love it. And Chemda has a magic skill that could make a mute man talk about himself.

If theres ever merchandise or special events devoted to Whats My Name, count me in!
I couldn't agree more, my friend. I'm Pat Dixon's number one fan and he never let's me down. This being no exception.

The four of them in that room with varied opinions, with insight and humor enough to fill a stadium... the show just keeps getting better and better.

Kudos Chemda.
Old 10-07-2011, 04:51 AM   #4 (permalink)

Loved the show and everyone's uniqueness. I always thought of the west village as being on the safe side even in the 80's and 90's except for the muggers who came from outside of the neighborhood for evildoing. Whereas in the bronx you could get jumped by your neighbor. "Why would you want to live somewhere safe?" Good point Emmy. Chemda your show is just right. Proud of you lady.

Marga
Old 10-07-2011, 01:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

I grew up in NYC...ok, sure, it was Staten Island...but still. I went into The City as often as I could.

At 14-15-16 I would travel in with my friends and do whatever, usually finding a place in the Village that would let us in to drink. This was the early 80s, I was 14 in 1980. When we were in midtown, near the Port Authority, you would pass someone who would say under their breath, "smoke, coke, acid, smoke coke acid." One time we passed someone that said, "smoke, coke, acid, switchblades, fake IDs," and other shit. Midtown was a lot different then than it is now.

I was only mugged once. That was in Syracuse. Never in NYC.

Not totally related...

I saw a guy singing on the train yesterday. He was a black dude. He was asking for money. He was complaining to the black women sitting near me that they weren't giving him any money and even worse, not even paying attention to him. He said if he was in church and singing all the women would be coming up to him and saying how beautiful his voice was...blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. He was a pretty young guy. Maybe 30 or younger.

I had my earphones on, so I could only half hear him. But at the end of his rant he turns to me and he says, "remember, you could be black too!" I just shrugged and he got off the train.
Old 10-12-2011, 11:12 PM   #6 (permalink)

Awesome Show, i loved all the different opinons.
Old 10-20-2011, 04:38 PM   #7 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Man, I hope this ep was only part one of a series on NYC because I loved it. When you grow up on an island in the middle of nowhere and are bombarded by American pop culture the romantic side of NYC hits hard.

You got the films of Scorcese and DePalma and Woody Allen and Spike Lee and even Ivan Reitman's Ghostbusters to growing up watching TV shows like Sesame Street, The Cosby Show, Kate and Allie and Night Court through to Seinfeld, News Radio, Spin City, Friends and 30 Rock. There's that grittiness to the streets and people of NYC that always make it seem far cooler than your LAs or your Miamis. Is there a more passionate city in the US?

Even though I think Chemda leans a little toward Only In New York territory every once in a while (as if crazy shit doesn't happen in Paris or Sao Paolo or Tokyo) I love that she feels lucky to be a New Yorker and I loved hearing Face and Emmy and Pat appreciate it too. I think Emmy summed it up real well when she talked about how there's a buzz in the danger and the grime and knowing that in such a concentrated rumble of humanity anything could happen at any time. I don't know if I'll ever get to visit for real, but until I do I'll always enjoy visiting it through art. (Podcasts are art. Fact.)

Also, I hope McNally listened to this. I don't know if that guy's ever more entertaining than when he's railing against New York City.
Old 07-30-2012, 06:10 PM   #8 (permalink)
Administrator
24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

[QUOTE=Bucho;713465]...You got the films of Scorcese and DePalma and Woody Allen and Spike Lee and even Ivan Reitman's Ghostbusters to growing up watching TV shows like Sesame Street, The Cosby Show, Kate and Allie and Night Court through to Seinfeld, News Radio, Spin City, Friends and 30 Rock. There's that grittiness to the streets and people of NYC that always make it seem far cooler than your LAs or your Miamis. Is there a more passionate city in the US?...[/QUOTE=Bucho;713465]

Agreed! I got into hip-hop in my teens and it was always NYC this and that, I had such a fascination with the place after seeing and hearing so much about it.

It doesn't matter if where you live is not perfect, as long as you feel comfortable there. I know my city of Perth is a relatively quiet, isolated, relaxed type of place but I love it. The fast-moving, entertainment at all hours, mixed culture bag of your New Yorks, Melbourne's, LA, etc... is very alluring but to live, I think I am happy here. BUT, had I grown up in New York and came to visit Perth, I know there'd be no way I'd have the same view.

Last edited by bw81; 08-15-2012 at 09:59 PM.