Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums What's My Name

What's My Name The Girl's show

Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By J. Canines
  • 2 Post By thirteen
  • 1 Post By BrianAlt
  • 1 Post By Latch

Old 06-25-2014, 11:00 AM   #1 (permalink)
Administrator

61: Surf Reality

Chemda talks to Robert Prichard about owning Surf Reality, the space that changed her life forever.

Share this episode: Twitter, Facebook & email

This entire show is available on KATG VIP along with...

Access to over 2,700 Keith and The Girl in-studio episodes dating back to March 2005.

Constantly updated VIP only podcasts, bonus shows and special offers including:
  • Chemda's What's My Name podcast
  • Keith's My Name Is Keith podcast
  • What Do We Do Now?
  • Andrea's WHAT'S UP, A?
  • Flavor of the Month
  • Bottoms Up with Hennessy
  • Myq Kaplan's Super Hang
  • That's the Show with Danny!
  • The Brother Love Owwwr!
  • Myka Fox & Friends
  • INTERNment podcast
  • All KATGtv episodes
  • A look back with KATG Beginnings episodes
  • Special discounts and offers

Click here to get more info about KATG VIP!

Last edited by dannyhatch; 06-25-2014 at 02:05 PM.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 02:08 PM   #2 (permalink)

I love Surf Reality stories. They always help fill in the pre-KATG days.

Excited about this one.
Keith and The Girl like this.
Old 06-28-2014, 05:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer

Another great interview by Chemda.

Sometimes I think I won't care about a topic because I can't relate to it much or just have no interest in it, but the show always turns out to be fascinating.
Keith and The Girl like this.
Old 07-02-2014, 07:35 AM   #4 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Fantastic!
The Girl likes this.
Old 07-04-2014, 08:48 AM   #5 (permalink)
38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

This was really interesting. It's great that there's people out there who find pleasure and drive in providing an area for others to be creative. I mean, sure, he's probably making some money (especially if he skips having to worry about all the licenses/certifications and stuff he officially needs ), but besides that, Robert seems to have a real drive in promoting and encouraging people in their endeavors. That's great.

Stepping aside from that aspect of it, it was great to hear some of the KATG Beginnings Beginnings. This didn't completely make KATG form, but Robert + Facebook had a significant hand in making KATG happen (at least, as I see it). If you love hearing some of the old KATG history, definitely check this episode out!

Great episode Chemda!
Old 07-04-2014, 10:09 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latch View Post
I mean, sure, he's probably making some money (especially if he skips having to worry about all the licenses/certifications and stuff he officially needs
Hmm. That's one way to interpret it. I think when you factor in the rest of Robert's story, you get a more complete reason as to WHY there were no official CFOs, permits, and the like.

First and foremost, the guy was a terrible capitalist. He was too concerned with art, artists, and creating a scene. I'd argue that's the crux of Robert's story. Hell. The guy had to close Surf Reality solely because THERE WAS NO MONEY.

I'd wager he charged the bare minimum to those artists. You get this idea when he said the rent went from $2,600 to $3,500. There simply wasn't enough room to turn a profit large enough to exist on. Let alone pay child support and still have dollars for living expenses!

Anyway. That's my interpretation.

Loved Robert's story. Almost cringed at Chemda's 'journalistic integrity(?)' when she pressed Robert on his relationship with daughter. He didn't want to talk at all. You got a sense there's a great pain there. Props to Chemda for not being overwhelmed by her subject. It was clear Chemda holds Robert in high regard.

My only disappointment was that there was little description of the actual physical space of Surf Reality. For years I've heard Rev Jen and Faceboy and others talk about Surf, but I have no clue as to what the Lower East Side is. In movies it's all warehouses? I'm from the Midwest. Help! I'm lost! Also, Chemda mentioned Surf had large doors. Robert acknowledged he remembered them. The end. The listeners still don't know what that means and what bearing that has on the story.

Surf Reality is a great subject, (not just in terms of pre-KATG) but New York City art scene in general. I hope Chemda continues to explore this topic more with Faceboy and others. She was totally right about there needing to be a documentary made. Endlessly interesting. Cheers.
Old 07-04-2014, 08:02 PM   #7 (permalink)
38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Yeah, I didn't mean to say he was doing it for the money as the primary motivation. I mean, sure Robert wants to earn enough to get by/live, but his real passion seems to be enabling others. Very cool.
J. Canines likes this.
Old 07-04-2014, 08:12 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Canines View Post
First and foremost, the guy was a terrible capitalist. He was too concerned with art, artists, and creating a scene.
too concerned with the very things that bring and justify the money?
Old 07-04-2014, 11:50 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latch View Post
Yeah, I didn't mean to say he was doing it for the money as the primary motivation. I mean, sure Robert wants to earn enough to get by/live, but his real passion seems to be enabling others. Very cool.
I felt the same.

This was a fantastic 'Once Upon A Time in NYC' art story. It's like, I don't think Surf Reality could have happened in 2014. At least not in the way that's conducive to real art.

I love the story of Surf Reality, (not just because it is an Origin of KATG story) but because it best exemplifies the weird/ art/ hope that is New York City. I mean, as an outsider Midwesterner; I would only hope that people are doing weird shit like cracking eggs in their pussies. Screaming angst a la Marc Maron. Running around with Elven ears like Rev Jen. Embracing things that go against the grain like Faceboy.

Sometimes what appears weird and pointless might just be the point. "What does it feel like?" "It feels like I'm surfing reality..."

What would America be without Art Star Heroes like Robert??
Old 07-30-2014, 02:52 AM   #10 (permalink)

Hey Chemda. I have kind of an odd WMN request.

I hope I'm not out of line here, but I seem to remember Lauren mentioning he had a brother who was a street kid? I used to be an street kid/ dressed in all black/ junkie/ tour kid. It's something not usually covered in mass media and I was wondering if it'd be possible for you, (and maybe Lauren on the assist?) to find one or some of these kids in NYC?

There was a recent Rainbow Gathering near Montana where I live. It's odd to me. I used to live that life. A lot of 'kids' come through this way. Some are jailed. Some are dead. It's a sad yet fascinating situation. Many are incapable of living 'normal' lives. Those that are simply turned off to the idea.

I truly think the subject would make a good show. Either way. Dig the show. Cheers.