Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums What's My Name

What's My Name The Girl's show

Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By fraggle312
  • 3 Post By NilFC
  • 1 Post By Scumhook
  • 1 Post By NilFC

Old 08-27-2014, 11:00 AM   #1 (permalink)
Administrator

63: Small Town USA

Aldo Caballero, Ashley Brooke Roberts, and Mike Kirkwood talk about what it's like to grow up in a small town and move to NYC.

Share this episode: Twitter, Facebook & email

This entire show is available on KATG VIP along with...

Access to over 2,700 Keith and The Girl in-studio episodes dating back to March 2005.

Constantly updated VIP only podcasts, bonus shows and special offers including:
  • Chemda's What's My Name podcast
  • Keith's My Name Is Keith podcast
  • What Do We Do Now?
  • Andrea's WHAT'S UP, A?
  • Flavor of the Month
  • Bottoms Up with Hennessy
  • Myq Kaplan's Super Hang
  • That's the Show with Danny!
  • The Brother Love Owwwr!
  • Myka Fox & Friends
  • INTERNment podcast
  • All KATGtv episodes
  • A look back with KATG Beginnings episodes
  • Special discounts and offers

Click here to get more info about KATG VIP!

(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 09:05 AM   #2 (permalink)
2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer

I enjoy living in a medium-sized city that is close in driving distance to larger cities. We have small neighbourhoods and there's a sense of community.

New York has way too many people and creeps (because of the higher population), and I'm always surprised by stories told on the various KATG podcasts. It's insane that people tolerate some of the described behaviour.

Last edited by thirteen; 08-28-2014 at 09:09 AM.
Old 08-28-2014, 05:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

The easiest way to describe a county to anyone who didn't grow up in a rural area is this, if its not the city, town, village, or hamlet, its a county, so farmland and anchorages. Its just we have county governments that take care of the roads and bylaws for the areas that aren't part of the town.
Old 08-28-2014, 06:47 PM   #4 (permalink)

I grew up in New York City. In the Riverdale section of the Bronx which has a more suburban feel. My grandma lived up in the Adirondacks and since we visited several times a year, I felt like I understood small town life. But I didn't. I got some nature time though so that cool. I'd recommend that for all city kids. Those programs to get city kids out of the city for the summer or even just a week are great.

Then I went to college in Fredonia, NY which was a village with 5,000 people and the population doubled when college was in session. There I learned the awesomeness of country hanging out. Camping, keg parties down by the creek, keg parties in the woods, swimming in the creek, tubing down rivers, etc. It was great.

I plan to raise children in New York City, but we will go camping and visit the Adirondacks. I like living near a big park in the Bronx, even though non-city people laugh that any park in NYC is considered nature. I can find some solitude in there though. I will strongly encourage my children to go to college in or move to a small town or village so they can experience the best of both worlds like I did.
There are many pros to growing up in the city. Going to the museum of natural history after school, all bands stopping in NYC on their tours, awesome food from all over the globe, ethnic diversity, none of my friends ever drove drunk because even though we were definitely getting fucked up, nobody had a car.

To each their own, but both lifestyles have their pros and cons.
Bucho and Enunciated Piffle like this.
Old 08-31-2014, 05:10 AM   #5 (permalink)
2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Sometimes the hardest thing is going back. I just visited my home town which I thought was huge when I grew up: over 100,000 people!

The pace, the concerns, the way of life are all so different from what I have become used to in large cities. It seems strange that people could live there, but then again I have to admit that they could like it that way.

I'm about to move to London, and that is kind of freaking me out. But not nearly as much as it would have if I tried to go there when I first left home.
Old 09-06-2014, 02:35 AM   #6 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer

I grew up in a small town. 30,000 people. I love/hate going back because I always run into everyone from high school who never left. I hate it because most of them were the people I disliked/were jerks in high school. But I love it because I'm way more successful than them. And all of the fresh produce that my parents make me take back from their garden is always a plus too.
Old 09-06-2014, 03:47 AM   #7 (permalink)
2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

One of the best moments of my early professional life was visiting home and having one of the cool kids from high school pumping my gas.
fraggle312, Barker and Scumhook like this.
Old 09-06-2014, 04:28 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NilFC View Post
pumping my gas.
is that a euphemism?
NilFC likes this.
Old 09-06-2014, 04:31 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scumhook View Post
is that a euphemism?
No, but let's pretend it is.
Scumhook likes this.