Keith and The Girl Forums

Keith and The Girl Forums (https://www.keithandthegirl.com/forums/)
-   My Name Is Keith (https://www.keithandthegirl.com/forums/f27/)
-   -   3: The Pit (Our Name Is Keith) Part I (https://www.keithandthegirl.com/forums/f27/3-pit-our-name-keith-part-i-17197/)

Keith 08-04-2012 03:34 AM

3: The Pit (Our Name Is Keith) Part I

Quote:

Originally Posted by TallulahB (Post 728405)
Is My Name is Keith on hiatus? When will we have another installment?

She comes when she comes, baby.

And oh how she came.

Keith McNally.

When he yells at you that you don't know him, you may now politely nod back and say that you do.

dannyhatch 08-04-2012 05:01 AM

Part one! My word. I'm excited.

Bucho 08-04-2012 08:20 PM

This madness is some of the most riveting conversation in KATG history. I already loved Keith, Keith and Kyle before I heard this.

Afterward I loved them even more.

edgycandy 08-05-2012 04:10 AM

Carnage

So this occured over Jaeger shots? Can't wait to listen to part 2 and find out what Keith Malley and Kyle cried about. Kudos Kyle- no pee breaks once. You totally deserve a reuben sandwich.
This episode had so many twist and turns. Just when it seemed to wrap it went deeper. I tuned in for drunken banter but got even better: raw emotion and surprisingly coherent exchanges. Fuck money. Hope we all get some. I always liked Mcnally. He let's it all out. Keith Malley you ran a stunner.

Marga

bluecrucial 08-05-2012 08:43 AM

I'm thinking the Firefly podcast McNally refers to around 1:09:00 was called "The Signal".

I listened to that show too and yes, it wasn't very good, but podcasting was new and it was about Firefly.

bluecrucial 08-05-2012 08:45 AM

Also feel like sharing, hearing McNally recount how he got into podcasts, mostly Digg.com was the catalyst. Started listening to Diggnation after being on Digg for so long.

That transitioned into TWiT which then got me onto Podcast Alley.

KATG is still the only show I've stuck with. Still listening to lots of other shows but thats the original one that is still on my subscription.

Great episode of MY----NAME----IS----KEITH!!!

Brad 08-05-2012 10:31 AM

All I got from this episode is that McNally is kind of a douchebag, and I feel sorry for his mom and her bank account.

Weird, I used to love McNally.

klwatts 08-05-2012 03:19 PM

Great episode, probably my favourite of the MNIK series.

Will have to admit though, the more McNally speaks the more respect I lose for him.

Curt 08-05-2012 05:09 PM

I wonder if AA meetings would be better if the phrase "SHOTS" happened anytime someone interjected with real emotions.

TallulahB 08-05-2012 07:13 PM

This was such a great episode! Had my full attention the whole way. I was completely with McNally up until the rant again about how the US wants the rest of the world to feel sorry for us for our recession. I thought the whole world was in this recession. If the US is out there trying to get sympathy, it's not the real people who are struggling to get employment, are losing their houses, can't pay their medical expenses, or student loans. It's the media, politiicians, and the 1%. Real people don't have time for it.

Also, I'm not challenging the fact the idea that McNally's mother's family was poor. I've been to Campobello Island and the people don't have a high standard of living. It's remote, but who says not having a McDonalds is anything bad. It's a blessing. Anyway, there are no places in Canada that are as poor as the poorest places in the US. There are at least 8 counties in South Dakota (where Indian reservations are) that have per capita incomes under $5000. This is a full $6000 less than the poorest communities in Canada. Also, if you've ever been to any of the border towns in Texas, there's poverty thats worse than anything you can believe would actually happen in this country. It's unbelievable.

Kyle was the shining star in this episode. The advice he gave McNally was right on. His attitude about his horrible money situation is great. I feel like we should put together a sandwich fund for Kyle.

I'm glad My Name is Keith is back. Great job!

Lanfear 08-05-2012 07:45 PM

I am usually on McNallys side for the topics discussed on the show but oh my did he annoy me in this episode.
I'm sure 1000 bucks a month won't push his mom back into poverty but I am also sure that she could find fun ways to spend it on herself instead of having to worry that her grown-ass son has a roof over his head. If you feel so bad for everything she has and had to go through you are not doing a good job making her life easier.

DaveNJ 08-05-2012 10:49 PM

The Campobello issue has been raised, but Keith McNally is dead wrong if he claims that's one of the poorest places in North America.

Campobello, Parish, New-brunswick - population Statistics and Information | Yourneighborhood.ca

Median income for census families is $44k. Median for lone-parent families is $23k.

Poor? Sure. Poorest in North America? Not by a long shot.

Another interesting statistic. Median family income for Somerset, PA?

$41k. Less than Campobello, and that's not even factoring in that access to Canada's NHS act's as de facto supplemental income.

Kyle was right on that McNally is treating his mother's poverty like a religion. The problem is that religion is a belief system. You can choose to have it or not. Poverty, on the other hand, is a designation. One is poor or not in part due to one's choices, but it's simply not like religion. McNally has access to quite a bit of money and economic opportunity. All the grumpiness and anger in the world doesn't change that.

skyelo 08-05-2012 11:38 PM

It sounds like being on his mom's payroll is enabling him to stay stagnate. I think his self-esteem, level of maturity and even his quality of life would improve exponentially if he stopped depending on a monthly allowance from his parents and found consistant and meaningful work.

That being said, we are all complex individuals and this episode made him much more human.

picard102 08-06-2012 12:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveNJ (Post 728851)
that's not even factoring in that access to Canada's NHS act's as de facto supplemental income.

Considering it can't be considered as such.

Bucho 08-06-2012 01:00 AM

It was like McNally's drunken, demon-filled mind was a wounded rhinoceros that he'd lost control of and Keith Malley was trying to wrangle it back into its home somehow, but it wasn't acting like a normal rhino so Keith Malley couldn't get a hold of it. And then Kyle tried to shoot it with tranq darts but even though he was scoring hits the beast wouldn't go down, it just kept getting back up and charging around. I was just glad it didn't try to break any windows or have sex with a zebra or something.

But his unfocused arguments (good work Alcohol) weren't annoying to me because Keith and Kyle were saying the things I was thinking and acting as release valves for all the tension McNally was threatening to build up. I get why the rhino was scary to some people but he wasn't to me, because Keith and Kyle were brilliant at keeping it from doing any serious damage.

Ultimately I just heard an incredible amount of pain in a fellow human being and couldn't help but feel for him. And be glad he has buddies like Kyle and Keith.

Bring on part 2.

DaveNJ 08-06-2012 01:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by picard102 (Post 728856)
Considering it can't be considered as such.

From a quality of life perspective, it certainly does. It takes the purchasing power of that $44k and stretches it a bit by lessening medical costs.

Dean from Australia 08-06-2012 08:15 AM

I'm gonna go back and listen to the JFOD episode. I'd rather hold my breath.

BrianAlt 08-06-2012 11:45 AM

This episode made me like McNally more. Not sure what that says.

And to Kyle, I'm offering to buy you lunch. And not just once. Say, maybe, a couple times a month.

I have to add...

Angry people think the world is against them. I've been there.

fluxquanta 08-06-2012 04:32 PM

I only want to say one thing about this episode: Thank you Kyle.

That is all.

sockle 08-06-2012 08:04 PM

McNally, you're making Canada look bad.

room_eight 08-06-2012 10:08 PM

Never thought I'd see the day I'd be in whole-hearted agreement with Kyle over McNally. Cannot wait for Part 2, and the next regular KATG episode McNally appears on.

It'd be interesting to hear Lauren on MNIK, I always like their interaction.

incognegro13x 08-06-2012 11:05 PM

Is it me or did anyone else get the vibe that McNally made it seem like he has had it worse than anyone regardless of subject?

It bothers me that he gives such a generalistic view of Americans almost that of what you might see on "Keeping Up With The Kardashians", but I wonder if he is actually seen a real American. If receiving free rent, and handouts is the idea engraved in McNally's head of slumming, then I am doing real shitty. I think anyone here wishes they had a free $1k a month paycheck, but I be damned if I would bitch about and hoping to grasp some pitty????

I personally have not heard of this town he referenced in Canada. However, I my I do know of towns in Mexico by my best friend's accounts that the average income per month was less than $200 USD equivalent. My friend makes mention of his past struggles every once in awhile, but I never heard him complain as bad as I heard McNally in this episode.

At first I really did think that McNally was joking about his views on America, and his output on life, but I have to agree he is coming off like a priviledged douche bag.

**-Kyle- send me a pm and I will send you money for lunch as well **

ssgtballard 08-07-2012 06:25 AM

Everytime we get to know McNally more I have to say I dislike him more and more. He takes the victim role way to easily.

On the Maine issue, we have some very rich people in our state, I live in a house worth 200,000 and across the street there is a private road with houses going from 500000 to 2 mil. Maine in land mass is the same size as the rest of the 5 states in New England, hosts some of the richest people in america to include the bush family. McNally needs to work on knowing some facts about what he is talking about.
In comparison to poor Canada we have some great places like Kentucky where there are still areas without electricity or plumbing.

BrianAlt 08-07-2012 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by incognegro13x (Post 728921)
Is it me or did anyone else get the vibe that McNally made it seem like he has had it worse than anyone regardless of subject?

To be fair, here is a picture of McNally growing up. None of us really know how bad he had it...

http://thewanderer2436.files.wordpre...an-poverty.jpg

Electric Squirrel 08-07-2012 11:59 AM

Did anyone else notice that Kyle doesn't seem to understand what the 1% is?

[Edit] Also where is McNally getting the idea that America thinks they know being poor? The whole America thing is they think they're number one.

jjamis 08-07-2012 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrianAlt (Post 728873)

And to Kyle, I'm offering to buy you lunch. And not just once. Say, maybe, a couple times a month.

I have to add...

Angry people think the world is against them. I've been there.

You like watching train wrecks?

Bucho 08-07-2012 02:00 PM

Quote:

It says that you're a grown up and you have a heart.

stevo8523 08-07-2012 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ssgtballard (Post 728926)
Everytime we get to know McNally more I have to say I dislike him more and more. He takes the victim role way to easily

I agree. He whines like a child.

NazT N8 08-07-2012 08:57 PM

Holy fucking amaze balls! Money well spent!

ron 08-07-2012 10:50 PM

Kyle vs. McNally

This was an interesting show. I usually like Kyle, but he has to stop muttering. He sounds like an irresponsible stoner who doesn't care about anything, where McNalley actually sounds like he's passionate about things.

It was really ironic. The reality is the opposite.

Kyle lost points with me this show and McNally won points. Kyle needs to sound like less of a stoner and more serious. He's awesome, but a dud on My Name Is Keet.

TallulahB 08-07-2012 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ron (Post 729001)
This was an interesting show. I usually like Kyle, but he has to stop muttering. He sounds like an irresponsible stoner who doesn't care about anything, where McNalley actually sounds like he's passionate about things.

It was really ironic. The reality is the opposite.

Kyle lost points with me this show and McNally won points. Kyle needs to sound like less of a stoner and more serious. He's awesome, but a dud on My Name Is Keet.

All three of them were drunk! On top of that, Kyle had already rode his bike around NYC for 8 hours and hadn't eaten. He kept saying he was tired. Yea, he sounded slowed down, but most of what he said made a ton of sense.

"Keet" was also making sense for the most part.

Kimberly 08-08-2012 04:07 AM

Fuck your shit!

To a certain extent, I get where McNally is coming from. My mother had eleven brothers and sisters. One of them died from lead poisoning as a young kid. They suffered in poverty, had to share clothing to the point where the boys couldn't go to school every day because they didn't have enough boys shoes to go around, and the list goes on, including severe beatings and emotional torture at the hands of my grandfather. They were in New York so, of course, they couldn't have had it as bad as McNally's family. (McNally, you can't distill suffering down to any objective financial measure and tell people what they have a right to feel.)

Coming from a family like this can leave you with some emotional baggage. Hearing the stories of any survivors, you being the next generation who's supposed to make the struggle somewhat worthwhile, can be heavy. Really, I wonder what kinds of stories were being passed down to McNally that he is so affected by the struggles of the people before him. Maybe they were passed down to him in an inappropriate way. "After Sesame Street, Mommy's gonna strap you down and tell you all about how she fought her way tooth and nail out of abject poverty just for YOU!" I'm being kind of an asshole here, but I'm also serious. McNally needs to examine how and why he feels so intensely about this.

My family doesn't try to guilt trip me about their horrific past. Still, I sometimes feel guilty about addressing my own problems handed me by own life, because I know how bad it can be for people. And I know that even my family didn't have it as bad as it can be. Still, we've got people in and out of jail, homelessness, decades of drug and alcohol abuse, and mental illness as constant reminders of the shit they suffered. And that lays a nice layer of fucked up for the next generation to muddle around in.

Kyle's words are very wise! He may be making it seem slightly more simple than it is, but ultimately we have no choice but to own ourselves. We can't take on responsibility for other people's lives, or pasts that had ZERO to do with us. I hope McNally takes that shit seriously!

Regarding the whole 1% thing, I think Kyle's kind of on to something. We're not all struggling as much as Kyle, but we all do have to struggle. Unless we are really lucky, we can't just stop moving. A few days of that, for a lot of us, and we end up on the street or unfairly taking from the strained resources of people nice enough to pick up our slack.

I am better off than Kyle because I have a job with benefits, and paid leave and that kind of shit. But, for that you gotta settle for a life of slow brain death (office work). You can take days off to try and ease the depression of the waste of life that is the day to day, but take too many and you're at risk of being out on your ass. We all HAVE to keep grinding on. There are ways to free ourselves a little, but in the end we gotta eat, have shelter, pay for water and electricity and all of the fucking bills and debt we accumulated before we were adults and knew better (student loans-kill me), plus any extras that we may need to keep moving (I need therapy to keep my shit in order).

Mental gymnastics can free us from some of our seeming burdens. We could do with less stuff, and buy ourselves more freedom a bit that way. Some burdens are part of lifestyle. They seem necessary, but are choices. But some are unavoidable. I can't think my way out of the massive debt I accidentally landed in when my head was still soft.

Poverty is an entirely different ballgame, but we all can relate to struggle to keep our lives afloat, and to limitations to our choices since true free choice is reserved for a very privileged few.

McNally, the only reasonable response to what your family endured is sympathy. I think you'd be a lot less miserable if you allowed people to relate to you and stop isolating yourself in what you think is one of a kind experience.

Also, you're incredibly fucking lucky. Use your mom's money for therapy. That's not meant in a mean way.

We need to start a Kyle's Reuben Sandwich fund.

In the end, GREAT SHOW!

I yelled at McNally while sitting at my desk at work. Yes, I'm that weirdo. This thing was intense! You people are amazing at this show business!

WHERE'S PART 2?!

dEadERest 08-08-2012 07:38 AM

"I found my shoes . . " - Keith McNally

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrianAlt (Post 728928)
To be fair, here is a picture of McNally growing up. None of us really know how bad he had it...

http://thewanderer2436.files.wordpre...an-poverty.jpg

dude, his mom is way hotter that I thought she'd be

to all previous posters, i love you

Kyle, please mumble more and not into the mic as much:rolleyes:

McNally validated everything I've felt about him; delusional spoiled child. I love the guy and feel him but, yikes, grow a pair and buy a clue with your mom's money.

keet was so impressive, knows his audience, is his 'brand' and rhino-wrangled like the true pro he is. Loved how he put the kibosh of the Maron smack talk:D

So, I started this ep as I hit the road home from a consult with a spinal/neuro surgeon in New Britain, CT. At the point where McNally started to sob over mention of his brother and keet's measured response is, "Shots! . . that's why we do this . . "
If I wasn't hammering up I90 south of Worcester I would have given a standing ovation.

best show ever did

BrianAlt 08-08-2012 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjamis (Post 728974)
You like watching train wrecks?

What?

jjamis 08-08-2012 08:40 AM

Quote:

YOU. LIKE. WATCHING. TRAIN. WRECKS.

BrianAlt 08-08-2012 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjamis (Post 729015)
YOU. LIKE. WATCHING. TRAIN. WRECKS.

You're very interesting to talk to. Have a nice day.

dEadERest 08-08-2012 09:44 AM

enjoy

earlofbass 08-08-2012 05:04 PM

I wish my uncle was poor enough to have 2 trailers.

As remember it from Keith McNally own podcast, grow up a video game nerd, lived in a 3 story house with the third floor to his self. His pet rat had its own room to destroy. Also, it's kind of interesting when the quality of life is measured in big macks.

scotticus 08-09-2012 12:17 AM

McNally knows what it's like

Yeah, so I spent an evening doing this. Chirbit - McNally knows what it's like

I was struck by how many times he said the phrase "know what it's like"

lizsquiz 08-09-2012 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scotticus (Post 729050)
Yeah, so I spent an evening doing this. Chirbit - McNally knows what it's like

I was struck by how many times he said the phrase "know what it's like"

Ohmygod.