Keith and The Girl Forums

Keith and The Girl Forums (https://www.keithandthegirl.com/forums/)
-   My Name Is Keith (https://www.keithandthegirl.com/forums/f27/)
-   -   3: The Pit (Our Name Is Keith) Part I (https://www.keithandthegirl.com/forums/f27/3-pit-our-name-keith-part-i-17197/)

Lanfear 08-05-2012 07:45 PM

I am usually on McNallys side for the topics discussed on the show but oh my did he annoy me in this episode.
I'm sure 1000 bucks a month won't push his mom back into poverty but I am also sure that she could find fun ways to spend it on herself instead of having to worry that her grown-ass son has a roof over his head. If you feel so bad for everything she has and had to go through you are not doing a good job making her life easier.

DaveNJ 08-05-2012 10:49 PM

The Campobello issue has been raised, but Keith McNally is dead wrong if he claims that's one of the poorest places in North America.

Campobello, Parish, New-brunswick - population Statistics and Information | Yourneighborhood.ca

Median income for census families is $44k. Median for lone-parent families is $23k.

Poor? Sure. Poorest in North America? Not by a long shot.

Another interesting statistic. Median family income for Somerset, PA?

$41k. Less than Campobello, and that's not even factoring in that access to Canada's NHS act's as de facto supplemental income.

Kyle was right on that McNally is treating his mother's poverty like a religion. The problem is that religion is a belief system. You can choose to have it or not. Poverty, on the other hand, is a designation. One is poor or not in part due to one's choices, but it's simply not like religion. McNally has access to quite a bit of money and economic opportunity. All the grumpiness and anger in the world doesn't change that.

skyelo 08-05-2012 11:38 PM

It sounds like being on his mom's payroll is enabling him to stay stagnate. I think his self-esteem, level of maturity and even his quality of life would improve exponentially if he stopped depending on a monthly allowance from his parents and found consistant and meaningful work.

That being said, we are all complex individuals and this episode made him much more human.

picard102 08-06-2012 12:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveNJ (Post 728851)
that's not even factoring in that access to Canada's NHS act's as de facto supplemental income.

Considering it can't be considered as such.

Bucho 08-06-2012 01:00 AM

It was like McNally's drunken, demon-filled mind was a wounded rhinoceros that he'd lost control of and Keith Malley was trying to wrangle it back into its home somehow, but it wasn't acting like a normal rhino so Keith Malley couldn't get a hold of it. And then Kyle tried to shoot it with tranq darts but even though he was scoring hits the beast wouldn't go down, it just kept getting back up and charging around. I was just glad it didn't try to break any windows or have sex with a zebra or something.

But his unfocused arguments (good work Alcohol) weren't annoying to me because Keith and Kyle were saying the things I was thinking and acting as release valves for all the tension McNally was threatening to build up. I get why the rhino was scary to some people but he wasn't to me, because Keith and Kyle were brilliant at keeping it from doing any serious damage.

Ultimately I just heard an incredible amount of pain in a fellow human being and couldn't help but feel for him. And be glad he has buddies like Kyle and Keith.

Bring on part 2.

DaveNJ 08-06-2012 01:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by picard102 (Post 728856)
Considering it can't be considered as such.

From a quality of life perspective, it certainly does. It takes the purchasing power of that $44k and stretches it a bit by lessening medical costs.

Dean from Australia 08-06-2012 08:15 AM

I'm gonna go back and listen to the JFOD episode. I'd rather hold my breath.

BrianAlt 08-06-2012 11:45 AM

This episode made me like McNally more. Not sure what that says.

And to Kyle, I'm offering to buy you lunch. And not just once. Say, maybe, a couple times a month.

I have to add...

Angry people think the world is against them. I've been there.

fluxquanta 08-06-2012 04:32 PM

I only want to say one thing about this episode: Thank you Kyle.

That is all.

sockle 08-06-2012 08:04 PM

McNally, you're making Canada look bad.