Keith and The Girl Forums

Keith and The Girl Forums (https://www.keithandthegirl.com/forums/)
-   That's the Show with Danny (https://www.keithandthegirl.com/forums/f29/)
-   -   131: Another Awkward Fight Show (https://www.keithandthegirl.com/forums/f29/131-another-awkward-fight-show-19383/)

Michael's Servant 07-02-2015 11:01 AM

131: Another Awkward Fight Show

AAAAAAAAGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH, you know?

Share this episode: Twitter, Facebook & email

This entire show is available on KATG VIP along with...

Access to over 2,700 Keith and The Girl in-studio episodes dating back to March 2005.

Constantly updated VIP only podcasts, bonus shows and special offers including:
  • Chemda's What's My Name podcast
  • Keith's My Name Is Keith podcast
  • What Do We Do Now?
  • Andrea's WHAT'S UP, A?
  • Flavor of the Month
  • Bottoms Up with Hennessy
  • Myq Kaplan's Super Hang
  • That's the Show with Danny!
  • The Brother Love Owwwr!
  • Myka Fox & Friends
  • INTERNment podcast
  • All KATGtv episodes
  • A look back with KATG Beginnings episodes
  • Special discounts and offers

Click here to get more info about KATG VIP!

Sparrow 07-02-2015 02:05 PM

so beautiful. this dynamic is one of my favorite things. Chemda, you facilitated /the fuck/ out of this discussion. also, your shoulder: Hello!

as always, if you don't have the video package, you missed at least a third of this experience.

Enunciated Piffle 07-02-2015 06:22 PM

I liked Chemda's comparison to Howard Stern. He does have writers. I heard somewhere that when Artie Lange was hired; he was never supposed to be ON the show. He was just supposed to write things. Like, he'd look at the news and come up with commentary and jokes. But Howard thought the jokes were better in Artie's own voice.

I feel like Danny has a similar role. He's not K or C, but he is an important part of KATG. He's always on the couch. Writing in. He does writing. He's a writer!

It's a good thing KATG has The Girl or it'd be in serious trouble, managerial speaking :) She might be the only mature adult in the building.

Keith just can't help himself. He's gotta have that last barbed word thrown in.

Jo_Culprit 07-02-2015 11:15 PM

This was an interesting insight into the inner show workings. I have to agree with Keith though that Danny should have raised the point earlier (the analogy to rape was a ridiculous counterpoint) and to me it seemed like in Keith's mind he already viewed Danny as having the status of 'writer' for the show. That being said Danny needs his due, it seemed like Danny would just prefer Keith not use his jokes at all without crediting him regardless of the writer status.

Dean from Australia 07-03-2015 12:36 AM

That Danny even has to consider the proposition of being credited as a writer? It seems like a no-brainer to me.

FingerLakes 07-03-2015 10:04 AM

this wasn't awkward at all. I could see both your POVs clearly and everything was eventually out on the table

Lanfear 07-03-2015 11:51 AM

The key point I learnt from this is that I have no clue how comedy writing works.
Maybe Chemda needs to do a 'What's my name' show about it.

From my only experience in an office environment I would assume that the actual point is what Keth said: 'if you are a writer you need to write more'

- for a higher respected job I'd want more money but maybe in this hippy dippy art world just calling Danny a writer would be enough?
- also if writer is an official title with responsibilities aka 'hand in a sheet of paper with X jokes every day about topics from the news, also these jokes should be in the style of Keith/Chemda' - Danny might not want to do that

scotticus 07-03-2015 12:27 PM

So weird to hear a Middle Easterner negotiating peace between two Americans.

Selfishly, I'm so glad that Chemda's life's work is making us giggle and not negotiating peace or some shit.

thirteen 07-03-2015 12:28 PM

This has been a long time coming.

Fascinating discussion.

ghauck 07-03-2015 06:27 PM

Bait and switch guys!!! I totally thought this episode was about Danny sucking cock based on the promo pic.

http://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/...psruahg0hs.jpg

Bucho 07-03-2015 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Enunciated Piffle (Post 845322)
I liked Chemda's comparison to Howard Stern ...

One of them said on this episode that for years nobody knew Stern had writers. Did he hide it?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jo_Culprit (Post 845342)
I have to agree with Keith though that Danny should have raised the point earlier ...

Keith brought it up though Jo_Culprit. Obviously it was raised earlier.

Thumbnail 07-05-2015 05:36 AM

Feelings for this show:

Fun, good show.
Danny said whaaaaaat?
Under the table, stacked a smaller table on top of the bigger table, not enough tables in this house, kill me!
Well Keith has a point.
Well Danny has a point.
Chemda should be my therapist.
Must watch video of this.
Oh, so this was a straight up HR conversation.

BadderWorse 07-06-2015 07:33 PM

Mandatory Viewing

I genuinely think that this episode should be heard (or seen) by everyone who is having communication issues with their SO/Family Member/Friend/Co-Worker etc.

Not only was it informative on the type of approach one should use, but also what to do when talking about it fails. I loved the way it was stressed that "now that it's known, how do we move on from here?" Sorta like a more graceful way to say "What do we do now?"

Chemda, I wish you were able to facilitate all of my conversations with people. Unfortunately, life isn't that easy!

Enunciated Piffle 07-07-2015 01:35 AM

Either I've seriously mis-judged Danny's taste in music, or I gots a keeper here. Would love to hear Danny play this track on his show.

It's romantic. Summer-y. Hint of old lo fi recording. Self Deprecating. Lulling. Subtle, yet total rock out. Beautiful.

Yeah?

Enunciated Piffle 07-09-2015 12:51 PM

Donde esta el Danny?

It's thursday. I'm not seeing a new TTSWD...

Should Danny Boys be concerned :confused:

thirteen 07-09-2015 01:14 PM

MOAR DANNY

Sparrow 07-09-2015 01:16 PM

from what i gathered Rosa gave Danny a super bug and he's been convalescing this week. send some sweet love his way if you feel lead.

CsisandDesist 07-09-2015 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sparrow (Post 845646)
from what i gathered Rosa gave Danny a super bug and he's been convalescing this week. send some sweet love his way if you feel lead.

I doubt it was a super bug. It's likely related to the fact that I've seen Danny with his shirt off more times in the last three days from the pizza videos etc. He likely just caught a chill and got a cold. :)

dannyhatch 07-09-2015 03:57 PM

sorry, no show this week.

Keith 07-09-2015 04:14 PM

WHAAAAAAAAATTT???!!!!!!!

CsisandDesist 07-09-2015 04:41 PM

It's becoming clear now. Chemda is the better psycho-analyzer but it seems very convenient that Danny became sick on the week that he has to do one of his alone shows. I'm wondering if the whole argument thing was manifested by Danny to end up at this point so that he doesn't have to do one of these shows. Very interesting.

Keith 07-10-2015 12:37 AM

It is. So now we ask: should his next show be alone or not?

Sparrow 07-10-2015 12:45 AM

alone; yes. chat party also as well pleases and thank you.

CsisandDesist 07-10-2015 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith (Post 845670)
It is. So now we ask: should his next show be alone or not?

Not alone. This is for purely selfish reasons.

roiktpowerweasel 07-10-2015 10:08 PM

My thoughts

I could be very off base here but this situation seems similar to the teacher, student dynamic.

My observation is that Keith is initially in the role of the teacher. His intention is never to steal a joke, he knows Danny is helping the show and Keith's intention is to help both by crafting an idea and releasing its potential, showing what can be done with the raw thought. This was not a problem when Danny was in an intern role, he felt that he was learning and was content. Danny has blossomed, he has a fantastic show and is positively contributing to the KATG network both creatively and financially through VIP.

From what I can gather Danny is getting financial credit now but not necessarily a creative one. The dynamic between Keith and Danny is awkward because there is mutual respect but it is difficult to go from mentor/student to boss/employee. I imagine it is a difficult progression to go from fan to intern to employee, for all concerned.

Just a thought.

Keith and Chemda, I have had a silent appreciation of all you have done over the years. Your show has been a much needed constant through some difficult times.

Danny my love of your show grows with every episode. It is an honour to be able see you develop your craft, never doubt your contribution.

lizsquiz 07-11-2015 02:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roiktpowerweasel (Post 845722)
I could be very off base here but this situation seems similar to the teacher, student dynamic.

My observation is that Keith is initially in the role of the teacher. His intention is never to steal a joke, he knows Danny is helping the show and Keith's intention is to help both by crafting an idea and releasing its potential, showing what can be done with the raw thought. This was not a problem when Danny was in an intern role, he felt that he was learning and was content. Danny has blossomed, he has a fantastic show and is positively contributing to the KATG network both creatively and financially through VIP.

From what I can gather Danny is getting financial credit now but not necessarily a creative one. The dynamic between Keith and Danny is awkward because there is mutual respect but it is difficult to go from mentor/student to boss/employee. I imagine it is a difficult progression to go from fan to intern to employee, for all concerned.

Just a thought.

Keith and Chemda, I have had a silent appreciation of all you have done over the years. Your show has been a much needed constant through some difficult times.

Danny my love of your show grows with every episode. It is an honour to be able see you develop your craft, never doubt your contribution.

Fuuuuuuuck you, lurker! Welcome to the forums.

DJ Trashy 10-15-2018 12:16 PM

More VIP catch-up. I know I listened to this show when it came out, but now I can hopefully comment on 2204 more intelligently...

Like others have said, I do see both sides. But, was Danny doing stand-up at this point? Was he writing down all these clever things he was saying? Was he incorporating them into bits as part of a stand-up routine? Because otherwise, no joke thievery was going on, just uncredited feedback and hearsay.

And now on to 2204...