Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums That's the Show with Danny

Like Tree36Likes

Old 02-28-2014, 03:30 PM   #11 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean from Australia View Post
The world needs your writing Danny. Great to hear you're getting some help but watch those medications don't numb your creativity.
Dean, I love you, but this is a ridiculous statement.

Taking anti-depressants will never take away anyone's cynicism or creativity or ability to hate the world.

People who want to get stronger: go to a gym

People who want to get thinner: stop eating fast food

People with an imbalance in brain chemicals: go to mental health provider

Your brain is a giant sack organ of chemicals. Serotonin, dopamine, and others rule your perception of the world. Too much or too little dictate your entire life. If these are out of whack; You. Are. Fucked.

It's incredibly admirable, (and just plain ol adult) that Danny is choosing to address this. To be proactive. To act on an instinct of 'Hey this just doesn't feel right.'

I hate that we buy into this notion of 'organic/ way-we-are-shouldn't be tampered with' mentality. It's faulty thinking and it's dangerous.

You know how meth heads are so strung out on a chemical drug that they're convinced that that reality is real? The same is with your all natural occurring drugs in your brain. These drugs are so powerful that, (just like street drugs) they convince you not stop. Not to change. That the miserable concoction, that is your brain, needs to continue.

Danny, Mean Danny, and all the other characters Danny creates won't go away just because Happy Danny is introduced. They can coexist.

Good for Danny. Honestly though, I would have kept the beard
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 03:57 PM   #12 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Changing thoughts or patterns of thought can be achieved without medications but if medications are needed then sure, take them.

I know from experience, there are some that can (and do) numb you. Fortunately there are others that don't.

If Danny can achieve balance without medications then that's gotta be a good thing.
Old 02-28-2014, 04:05 PM   #13 (permalink)
PARTY! SUPER PARTY!

Well we already recorded next week's show where Danny says that he went so I need to believe this won't dissuade him.
dannyhatch and Scumhook like this.
Old 02-28-2014, 04:07 PM   #14 (permalink)

I'll shut up now. If Danny offs himself, it'll be my fault.
Enunciated Piffle likes this.
Old 02-28-2014, 04:12 PM   #15 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
If Danny can achieve balance without medications then that's gotta be a good thing.
I say, if you're a rational atheist, with belief in science, why not utilize science?

Also, why perpetuate the myth that creativity goes away with med use? It's like running around Africa announcing polio vaccines are harmful.

Polio was eradicated. Do you know where polio is re-emerging? Africa. Why? People spread the rumor that it was somehow bad.
Old 02-28-2014, 04:13 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
I'll shut up now. If Danny offs himself, it'll be my fault.
Fuck.

You just ruined the premise of my next post!!!
Old 02-28-2014, 04:18 PM   #17 (permalink)

I'm not discounting science at all. I'm on antidepressants myself but if I could get off them I would.

A good psychologist, working one on one, can achieve much through modalities such as cognitive behavioural therapy without the need for medications.

If medications are deemed worthwhile in the process then great. But they might not necessarily be required.
Old 02-28-2014, 04:23 PM   #18 (permalink)
PARTY! SUPER PARTY!

They're required with Danny, believe me.

(No offense, Hatchbox.)
Old 02-28-2014, 04:29 PM   #19 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Oh goodness gracious. I hate that i got sucked in about this. I'm sure I've reached my psych related comment quota.
Both of you are right. Because we don't know much about exactly how anti-depressants work they have some real weirdo side effects so sometimes they can suck the creativity from someone. Then someone should go on another type of medication. It's trial and error.
Second, therapy and medication combined have shown the most efficacy for treatment of depression. Therapy alone is next best. Medication only is third.
Old 02-28-2014, 04:37 PM   #20 (permalink)
PARTY! SUPER PARTY!

I recommend that Danny does the right thing that works correctly and not the wrong thing that doesn't.