Keith and The Girl Forums

Keith and The Girl Forums (https://www.keithandthegirl.com/forums/)
-   The Brother Love Owwwr! (https://www.keithandthegirl.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   77: Intellectual Disability (https://www.keithandthegirl.com/forums/f30/77-intellectual-disability-18881/)

Michael's Servant 10-17-2014 11:00 AM

77: Intellectual Disability

1 Attachment(s)
If you want out, you better make it weird.

Share this episode: Twitter, Facebook & email

This entire show is available on KATG VIP along with...

Access to over 2,700 Keith and The Girl in-studio episodes dating back to March 2005.

Constantly updated VIP only podcasts, bonus shows and special offers including:
  • Chemda's What's My Name podcast
  • Keith's My Name Is Keith podcast
  • What Do We Do Now?
  • Andrea's WHAT'S UP, A?
  • Flavor of the Month
  • Bottoms Up with Hennessy
  • Myq Kaplan's Super Hang
  • That's the Show with Danny!
  • The Brother Love Owwwr!
  • Myka Fox & Friends
  • INTERNment podcast
  • All KATGtv episodes
  • A look back with KATG Beginnings episodes
  • Special discounts and offers

Click here to get more info about KATG VIP!

Question from a fan:

Dear Brother Love,
I went out of town with two of my really good friends who happen to be a couple. After a long night of drinking they approached me to have a three-some. I would like to blame the alcohol, but they talk about three-somes sober too. Anyways, back to that night...they literally tried to convince me for hours it would be so fun and a great idea because we all care about each other already. Well, I told them this is a horrible idea and I'd never do it. On top of everything, while they were literally on top of me, we all work together! I'm all about being a team player and working closely with others, but this is waaaaay too hands on for my working environment. I'm also dating someone else, who wasn't invited to the roadshow...so isn't that kinda of disrespectful and cheating?! How can I convince them this is a HORRIBLE idea, horrible!!!
Love,
Chrissy from Three's Company

lalalemon 10-19-2014 05:09 PM

Loving the show as always, BroLo!

Just to give my two cents on intellectual disabilities vs. retarded.

I've been studying to be a speech therapist and have worked with both adults and children who fall under this category. We use the term intellectually disabled mainly bc 'retarded' was adopted into slang and has become very degrading and offensive towards certain people and/or behaviors. I guess it became so pervasive that the PC thing to do was re-label the term within the professional community. We were also taught the term "cognitively impaired", but I guess something was wrong with that too bc intellectually disabled is now the preferred term.

Enunciated Piffle 10-21-2014 01:16 AM

I've worked with disabled folks both in a gov home setting, (which is...upsetting like standards) as well as personal homes. Here in the states you can get what's called a PCA certificate. A personal care attendant certificate. This is seemingly for those who can smoke pot, but yet just enough to piss in a cup/ and/ or work with the handicapped.

It is my opinion that caring for disabled peoples is more important than being politically correct and humor-less...