Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Bottoms Up with Hennessy

Bottoms Up with Hennessy Lauren's show

View Poll Results: Is Lauren allowed to say "fuckaduck?"
Yes, fuckaduckadoodledoo! 41 80.39%
No ducks. No dice. 10 19.61%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree36Likes

Old 09-03-2013, 11:00 AM   #1 (permalink)
Administrator

12: Now I Know My Abc's.

Lauren and co-host Emmy count up to the bottom 10 things about college. Ever.

Share this episode: Twitter, Facebook & email

This entire show is available on KATG VIP along with...

Access to over 2,700 Keith and The Girl in-studio episodes dating back to March 2005.

Constantly updated VIP only podcasts, bonus shows and special offers including:
  • Chemda's What's My Name podcast
  • Keith's My Name Is Keith podcast
  • What Do We Do Now?
  • Andrea's WHAT'S UP, A?
  • Flavor of the Month
  • Bottoms Up with Hennessy
  • Myq Kaplan's Super Hang
  • That's the Show with Danny!
  • The Brother Love Owwwr!
  • Myka Fox & Friends
  • INTERNment podcast
  • All KATGtv episodes
  • A look back with KATG Beginnings episodes
  • Special discounts and offers

Click here to get more info about KATG VIP!

(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 11:54 AM   #2 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

I loved having this podcast come out today over any other day in the entire history of my life.
I am starting grad school today and it strangely relieved some of my anxiety about it hearing Emmy and Lauren talk about pre-requisites and how grad school is what matters because you don't have those.
Thanks so much for that guys!
<3
Bucho, lalalemon, Hennessy and 1 others like this.
Old 09-03-2013, 02:26 PM   #3 (permalink)

uuuuugh. i spent a year and a half in college. fuck that. it's not how i learn. it hasn't been useful to me ever. all of my marketable skills i learned either through mentorship, on the job, or i looked it the fuck up. i live in the future for christ sake. i have google. i'm still paying it off seven years later.

core class pre-requisites are a scam. i spent 4 years in high school getting well rounded; going high speed, gifted, AP bullshit college track so I could what? do it again. pay for classes that hold no relevance to why i went to the institution in the first place for the privilege of learning the things i need to work in a field? uh fuck ya very much.

if you don't have to, don't.
Bucho, Hennessy and Marisela like this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aunt_helen View Post
Laugh a little, chigger. The world is a fun place.
Old 09-04-2013, 06:03 AM   #4 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

I have to say, I don't know if I can listen to an episode of bottom 10 sounds bc I have a touch of aspies in that certain sounds just make me cringe, gag, and sometimes see red. Emmys imitation of the smacking as the chick ate her sandwich...*shudders* I had to pause a couple of times to get thru it. I'd most likely still listen though bc of how hilarious Emmy and Lauren are.
Hennessy likes this.
Old 09-04-2013, 08:30 AM   #5 (permalink)
2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer

12: Now I Know My Abc's.

One of the best episodes yet.

Transfer students do it better, guys- but starting out I was probably THAT roommate: coming in drunk at all hours, passing out wherever I landed, constantly puking or having phone sex with my bf in our adjacent bathroom. Getting arrested and then disappearing for a week in shame with no explanation...Those first two years really brought out the crazy in me. So I moved home, switched to the local University, graduated with a BS in communications and am now going to grad school for something that has nothing to do with most of what I studied in undergrad.

I'm just starting the 2nd year of a 3 year graduate program for speech language pathology. By the time I graduate in 2015, I'll have over 80k (probably closer to 90 if I'm honest) of student debt. Salaries in my field top out around 70-80k. Less depending on where you live.

Luckily -hopefully- I have really good job prospects once I graduate and complete my clinical fellowship, but my debt feels so overwhelming. I feel like ill be living in my parents' house until I'm 30
Bucho and Hennessy like this.

Last edited by lalalemon; 09-04-2013 at 10:15 AM.
Old 09-04-2013, 10:07 AM   #6 (permalink)
2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

College was worth it for me, but may not be for everyone. It's kinda ridiculous that we make 18 year olds decide the course of the rest of their lives and load them up with undischargeable debt by default.
Bucho, Sparrow, Hennessy and 1 others like this.
Old 09-05-2013, 10:56 AM   #7 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

I developed a pathological hatred of anyone who crunched their food in Nursing School. I recall a similarly obese female who'd turn up to lectures with a jumbo sized bag of crisps and would always sit in close proximity to myself and she would crunch her way through the entire bag while I was trying to listen.

I lost my shit one day, stood up in the lecture theater and snatched the bag out of her hand, hissing "Do you HAVE to fucking DO THAT!?"

You could have heard a pin drop in the auditorium. She lumbered out of there in tears. I kind of felt like a shit but she never brought her crisps to class again after that.

I have zero tolerance for people who crunch. It actually spins me close to the edge.
Hennessy likes this.
Old 09-05-2013, 08:30 PM   #8 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flerchin View Post
College was worth it for me, but may not be for everyone. It's kinda ridiculous that we make 18 year olds decide the course of the rest of their lives and load them up with undischargeable debt by default.
It's really gross. My whole undergraduate education cost my family roughly $25k. I lived at home and tuition at state schools in the late 90's was pretty reasonable. (That has since changed...) Some of my grad school friends had gone to ivy league schools as undergrads and paid 5-10 times more for their education, just to end up on the same academic footing as me after graduation.

I was also really fortunate that I went to grad school for science... they pay you to get your degree. It's not much money, but it's way better than going into debt.
Bucho and Hennessy like this.
Old 09-07-2013, 08:20 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamus View Post

What does the world look like to those who don't want to know? Is it just the here and now? What does the past look like?
this is dumb. that i didn't want to bury myself further in debt to take broad math and science courses that don't apply to my career isn't my giving no fucks about how the world works. i'm an artist. that curiosity comes natural and often. i also have google and MIT OpenCourseWare.

we give ourselves far too little credit in our current abilities to educate ourselves outside traditional systems. you can find and work your life tools for less than 5 figures. the scientific method ain't that big a secret.

you also don't need a semester in thermodynamics to understand we live in a causal universe and that time moves forward one way. we innately understand those things. if you so choose, you can find big words for that, further explanatory writings, and chances are somebody in the world who'd be willing to explain the hard parts to you for less than the price of a car; more than likely, even less than the cost of a text book.
The Girl, Bucho and Scumhook like this.

Last edited by Sparrow; 09-07-2013 at 09:01 AM.
Old 09-07-2013, 12:55 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotticus View Post
I was also really fortunate that I went to grad school for science... they pay you to get your degree. It's not much money, but it's way better than going into debt.
Brilliant. You should get a cut in your overall bill if you graduate. More if you graduate with a higher GPA.
It would be good for the students and colleges.
Bucho, scotticus, Sparrow and 2 others like this.