Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: Does Nick Cannon have a right to be in the Shuck & Jive video?
Yes; he's been a positive example of having pride and integrity. 19 13.48%
No; he's one of the biggest sell-outs there are. 122 86.52%
Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-09-2009, 10:50 PM   #31 (permalink)

Hope Faceboy was ok after the show.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 12:50 AM   #32 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaPirate View Post
Brilliant.
Another katg 'Tell friends' episode.
I love the show and listen all the time - but every once in a while an episode comes along that really hits home and I find myself thinking 'wow. So many of my friends would love to hear this'.
This was one.
I totally disagree. I hate the voice of rev jen and every single joke she says is fuckin lame. I really dont see the appeal. I love faceboy though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by da_ticklah View Post

How many old school hip-hop heads can properly respond to "Assalam alaikum"
alaikum salam
Old 08-10-2009, 01:03 AM   #33 (permalink)

by the way, when they were re-telling keith's joke from the match game it got a little twisted. substitute Magic Johnson for Michael Jordan and it makes a lot more sense. 'that's the irony'.
Old 08-10-2009, 01:05 AM   #34 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffa View Post
by the way, when they were re-telling keith's joke from the match game it got a little twisted. substitute Magic Johnson for Michael Jordan and it makes a lot more sense. 'that's the irony'.
Okay, that joke actually makes sense now. Originally I had no idea what the fuck that meant.
Old 08-10-2009, 02:01 AM   #35 (permalink)

Loved this episode. I listened to it live, then I listened to it again Saturday afternoon, and again Saturday night. Can't say that about many episodes.
Old 08-10-2009, 03:38 AM   #36 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cretaceous Bob View Post
Okay, that joke actually makes sense now. Originally I had no idea what the fuck that meant.
Yeah, I didn't get it at first either, but it is kinda funny now.
Old 08-10-2009, 07:50 AM   #37 (permalink)
2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoav View Post
i think what nas is trying to point out is that it's shifting so the focus is on being a gimmick, instead of saying something political or poetic. you don't need talent to get your song to #1 on the charts and consumers seem to eat up anything that's put out. it's worth noting though that's it's not new and it's not exclusive to hip hop. for example how do paula abdul and britney spears have careers? neither one can sing.
QFT
that sum's it up in a nutshell add in that when Paula Abdul and Britney make a song nobody makes the mental connection that all women or all white people or whatever mutt mix Paula is are talentless hacks. Some not all still make the Hip Hop/Rap is not art, it's just noise look at how silly they (black people in general) are. Songs like Fry that Chicken, Chicken noodle soup and damn near everything Soulja has had on the radio have little artistic redeeming quality.

There are rappers like NAS, Common, Talib Kweli & Lupe Fiasco that don't rap about gratuitous violence. Occasionally like back in the old days they actually attempt to put forward a positive message and tidbits of information in their lyrics.
Old 08-10-2009, 08:06 AM   #38 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

I think that Nas' point was pretty clear, and well delivered: the first gangsta rappers were twlling the reality from the streets. They were hustlers who talked about what they witnessed day to day and tried to express it through hip-hop.

Now a large part of hip-hop is so over the top, that somehow it has turned into a self parody. Some gangsta rappers are basically playing out the stereotype of the badass black boogieman, for the entertainment of white people who laugh at their antics. hence the minstrel thing.
Old 08-10-2009, 09:44 AM   #39 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoav View Post
you've got to wonder though, the whores are whores, and they generally don't have anything to fall back on or reform to. they've already chosen the path they're on and they're only where they are because of those choices, so who is nas actually talking to?
Nas' statement was a loud one, but still just a statement=an opinion. Also an opinion that was stated already by others again and again, even though in a less forceful way. There's always been an old school of hip-hop and a new way. After all it's a very ideological type of music.

Also, if you listen to DMX and an old Dr Dre album (just to take two obvious examples), you can get pretty easily how the whole scene got distorted.
Old 08-10-2009, 10:04 AM   #40 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by better dylan View Post
I totally disagree. I hate the voice of rev jen and every single joke she says is fuckin lame. I really dont see the appeal. I love faceboy though.
Agreed. I finally finished listening to this episode while I mowed the lawn. Every time Rev Jen spoke, I'd run over my foot with the lawnmower. It helped.