Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: Does Nick Cannon have a right to be in the Shuck & Jive video?
Yes; he's been a positive example of having pride and integrity. 19 13.48%
No; he's one of the biggest sell-outs there are. 122 86.52%
Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-11-2009, 03:39 AM   #51 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by better dylan View Post
then i can't really talk to you about it. we are on different levels.

What can i tell you, her whole reaction to the object marrying story made me laugh hard... "I wanna marry my hair dryer". I think she's naturally good spirited and funny.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 02:34 AM   #52 (permalink)

Rev Jen totally ruining the show

am I the only one who thinks she ruins the show ? She seems totally drugged or whatever - I can't stand her voice and she has absolutley nothing to bring in - the worst guest ever !!!! (in opposite to faceboy)

Germany_guy
Old 08-12-2009, 06:22 AM   #53 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoav View Post
it's weird how some guests are so liked and so disliked by different people, and we're all listening to the exact same recording... katg fans should be studied.
It's a large, differentiated group. And one of the main characteristics of it is that anyone usually feels free to say their opinion loudly.

But you're right, i'm surprised that no one has done a thesis or some sort of research on the KATG community as a social phenomenon. I know sociology students who did stuff on various MMORPG's or places like Second life...

It's also strange how many people were suddenly polarized by this particular episode, but loved Rev Jen and Faceboy on their first shows. I loved them both in all three episodes, so i really dont get why...

Last edited by Junkenstein; 08-12-2009 at 06:27 AM.
Old 08-12-2009, 07:13 AM   #54 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkenstein View Post
It's also strange how many people were suddenly polarized by this particular episode, but loved Rev Jen and Faceboy on their first shows. I loved them both in all three episodes, so i really dont get why...
I think it's easier to accept a guest in a one off appearance, Deuce Deuce is good once a year, but when they become more frequent people start to form an opinion.

That said, I don't enjoy them either.
Old 08-12-2009, 11:27 AM   #55 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffa View Post
Nas isn't talking about gangsta rap y'all. He's talking about people like Soulja Boy and Dem Franchise Boys and Unk. The lyrics are repetitive and extremely stupid and they have dances to go with all of their songs. Here are a couple of the more famous examples:
YouTube - Soulja Boy Tell`em - Crank That (Soulja Boy)
YouTube - UNK WALK IT OUT VIDEO

Also, Keith, there was an era of hip hop before gangsta that was fun and uplifting. The raps were a little simplistic compared to what came from, say, a Wu Tang or whatever, but everyone was having a good time and dancing and having block parties and whatnot. I'm thinking of people like Busy Bee, Kurtis Blow, Biz Markie, etc.. Slick Rick maybe was a little more gangsta but a lot of fun. I spent a while looking for videos but it's not working out that great. Ask F-Mos about it sometime and he can give you the rundown I'm sure.
Great points. I would also add that we saw the rise of gangsta rap and the demise of more empowering self referential rap when the big labels like Sony BMG et al. (white men in suits) acquired all the labels in the late 80's early 90's. The perpetuation of gangsta rap can be analogized to the great racist propaganda film of D.W. Griffith BIRTH OF A NATION (aka THE CLANSMAN) which promotes the idea of the dangerous black man, gangsta rap being bankrolled and exclusively promoted by the white record company execs does the same thing.

The PBS Independent Lens series film: Hip Hop Beyond the Beats and Rhymes presents strong evidence supporting this argument. I urge everyone to see it if you get the chance.
Old 08-12-2009, 11:39 AM   #56 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrickyToro View Post
The perpetuation of gangsta rap can be analogized to the great racist propaganda film of D.W. Griffith BIRTH OF A NATION (aka THE CLANSMAN) which promotes the idea of the dangerous black man, gangsta rap being bankrolled and exclusively promoted by the white record company execs does the same thing.

Good point, but a bit extreme. "Birth of a nation" was a film made by a misguided white man and with white actors in blackface. Gangsta Rap is perpetuated by black musicians that are completely consensual and actually believe in the black tough guy stereotypes (i still have clear in my mind DMX being interviewed about president Obama and sayin "what kinda name is obama? That's not a nigga name!" and "who cares about politics. it's all bullshit").

To me it feels like a part of society shutting itself into a stereotype. Which is way worse.
Old 08-12-2009, 04:43 PM   #57 (permalink)

I really liked Marc as a guest. Hopefully he'll come back some time!
Old 08-13-2009, 08:23 PM   #58 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottieaxeman View Post
they shhould be every other friday
dear god please no
Old 08-13-2009, 09:50 PM   #59 (permalink)
Exo

That watermelon song reminds me of this
YouTube - Ms. Peachez - Fry That Chicken

This song will be stuck in your head for days
Enjoy!
Old 08-16-2009, 07:17 AM   #60 (permalink)

faceboy straight in the front gay in the back. like a mullet!
p.s. where can i download the watermelon song?