Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: Does Joe Rogan have a right to call out joke thieves?
Yes. All whistle-blowers are appreciated. 145 84.80%
No. You don't sell out the way he has and act holier than thou. 26 15.20%
Voters: 171. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree9Likes

Old 08-12-2009, 09:26 AM   #71 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkenstein View Post
I also must stress Marc's suggestion for The Downfall.

It might be a great movie, but when he was describing it to Keith, I thought, "Yeah, he really is NOT going to be interested in seeing this one!" I don't even mind subtitles, but I'm not sure I want to see an entire movie that takes place in the bunker. I think my favorite foreign film recently was "Let the Right One In." But I'm a vampire and zombie buff, not a war film fan.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 09:37 AM   #72 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzgal View Post
It might be a great movie, but when he was describing it to Keith, I thought, "Yeah, he really is NOT going to be interested in seeing this one!" I don't even mind subtitles, but I'm not sure I want to see an entire movie that takes place in the bunker. I think my favorite foreign film recently was "Let the Right One In." But I'm a vampire and zombie buff, not a war film fan.
On that i have to correct Mark. Yes it does take place a lot in the bunker, especially in its second half. But it has a lot of exterior shots. It's not an action war movie, more of a very gritty and intense psychological drama. It is also the only movie i've seen that portrays Hitler as a real person (mind you, not sympathetic. Just not the cartoony nut you usually see) and goes deep into showing the nazi descent into madness and self destruction. Not for everybody but very powerful stuff, and based on a good source too (A book by Joachim Fest, the greatest researcher on Hitler's life and the history of the Nazi party)
Old 08-12-2009, 10:18 AM   #73 (permalink)

Quote:
It is also the only movie i've seen that portrays Hitler as a real person (mind you, not sympathetic. Just not the cartoony nut you usually see) and goes deep into showing the nazi descent into madness and self destruction.

Oh, I'm totally with you on that. The cartoony monster is one of the ways that we try to distance ourselves from the evils committed by other people -- a way to pretend that they're somehow not human and therefore not at all like us.
Old 08-12-2009, 10:26 AM   #74 (permalink)

Quote:
Oh, I'm totally with you on that. The cartoony monster is one of the ways that we try to distance ourselves from the evils committed by other people -- a way to pretend that they're somehow not human and therefore not at all like us.
Yeah, exactly. The guy who played him in Valkyrie was not bad, but still too much of a comic book bad guy. And the only other hitler i can think of is Robert Carlyle, which was ridiculous (think of a Jim Carrey looking version of Hitler).

The weird thing is that Hitler in reality was a completely repulsive and psychotic person and even if someone portraid him correctly, he would still look totally un-sympathetic. Yet, when "The downfall" came out, the PC brigade was out in arms, complaining about the "humanization" of nazis.
Old 08-12-2009, 10:30 AM   #75 (permalink)

Quote:
Yeah, the best part of that exchange was after it had already been established that Keith doesn't do subtitles, and Marc's way of saving it was saying something like "no wiat, man, this'll really get you-the entire movie-from start to finish-takes place in an underground bunker" I could almost hear Keith's nominal interest in the film whistling towards oblivion like a bomb.
Old 08-12-2009, 11:20 AM   #76 (permalink)

Mark Maron just moved up to one of my favorite guests. The comedy conversation was one of the most interesting/engaging discussion the show's had in a while.
Scumhook likes this.
Old 08-12-2009, 11:25 AM   #77 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by marina View Post
Yeah, the best part of that exchange was after it had already been established that Keith doesn't do subtitles, and Marc's way of saving it was saying something like "no wiat, man, this'll really get you-the entire movie-from start to finish-takes place in an underground bunker" I could almost hear Keith's nominal interest in the film whistling towards oblivion like a bomb.
"...and there's this scene where a mother euthanizes her kids which is so... so... hilarious!"

I love Marc.
Scumhook likes this.
Old 08-12-2009, 11:57 AM   #78 (permalink)
myq

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucho View Post
Rogan's ok but he's no Myq Kaplan.
Agreed, Joe Rogan and I are different.
(I heard that people were talking about Rogan again, and since we're internet discussion twins, I figured it appropriate to come weigh in.)

Quote:
Oh the lovely puns that would sprout from this, if Myq read it.
You got your wish. Go for it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucho View Post
I can't remember who the poster was that started comparing them but I'm sure he never meant Myq and Joe's names to become forever linked in some people's minds in a positive way. Now whenever Joe is mentioned what comes to mind is Fear Factor, mind-expansion techniques, UFC and Myq Kaplan. Oh the delicious irony.
Hey, it's not ALL ironic. I like expanding minds. I have fear.
But you're right, I don't enjoy Ultimate Fried Chicken.

In any event, Joe and I are partners forever now, thanks everyone!
Look out for our new companion show to Fear Factor that's in the works: Anxiety Element.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarbles View Post
I'm not sorry if it's harder for failed standups to get a job writing a hack sitcom. Life doesn't guarantee success. If they can't write something more entertaining than a guy eating a goat penis, then maybe they should find another line of work.
But are you sorry that it's also harder for GOOD standups to get a job writing a GOOD sitcom?
"Arrested Development" was one of the best shows there was, but it went away, and not because it wasn't more entertaining than a man eating a goat penis (though that is a high bar to compete with).

Reality TV is cheaper and easier to produce than scripted shows. And since it's been working, that makes people perpetuate it even more. So less good scripted shows are given a shot than in a world where reality TV didn't get so much support.

I agree that people/writers/comedians/artists/entertainers should put a solid investment in creating good work.
Rogan certainly does that with his standup, as does Maron, who is one of my favorites.
And since I'm linked with Rogan, everyone is friends now!

Later!
Scumhook likes this.
Old 08-12-2009, 12:06 PM   #79 (permalink)

Awesome as ever, Mister Kaplan.
Old 08-12-2009, 06:25 PM   #80 (permalink)

I want to second Marc's props to Jesse Thorn and The Sound of Young America. He really does some amazing interviews. Check him out at Maximum Fun | A public radio show about things that are awesome.