Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: If you saw the movie District 9, who should win the $10?
Keith 28 22.22%
Christian 98 77.78%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-19-2009, 12:46 AM   #21 (permalink)

The "Tiger Woods lost" reminded me of a news article I saw recently. The headline was "Harry Potter Actor Dies Saving Brother." At the top of the article? A picture of Daniel Radcliffe. I thought that was pretty weird.

I also agree with the Terminator Salvation point Keith made, I think the movie would have been much better if they had not ruined the major plot twist in the trailers. WTF was that all about? I think the producer was snorting too much coke.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 05:24 AM   #22 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

You know what I love? The way Jesse's laugh carries with it simultaneously enjoyment of the joke, and begrudgement at it. (That's a real word, trust me.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNJ View Post
Keith is right. District 9 is a big pile of junk.

They try to use South Africa to make the movie deep, but it just isn't. People treat things that aren't like them badly? Really? That's the lesson? It's really, really shallow.

The movie takes way too long to develop, the faux-documentary thing is just stupid, and by the end it's this weird Black Like Me/Alien Buddy Movie mash-up. The movie's loaded with logical flaws (like the alien guns thing) and it doesn't have nearly enough action or intrigue to make it worthwhile.

By the end, undoubtedly the most exciting part, I was yawning because I had almost been put to sleep by the film.
Naw, you misread the shit out of it Dave, they don't sell it as a deep movie at all. It's far more along the lines of The Matrix or Starship Troopers than Children Of Men or Blade Runner, it's a nice simple allegory with big silly guns wrapped around it. And as for that alien guns thing, of course they couldn't take over the world with those weapons, haven't you ever heard of helicopter gunships and napalm. The aliens were way outnumbered and way the fuck outgunned from the start, not to mention the film suggests that the ones in the slum are mostly some kind of unevolved drone without organisational or leadership capabilities. You were so bewildered by the subtitles and suckered in by the spectacularity of the alien guns you totally misread the strategic situation.

District 9 isn't perfect by any means but for any flaw I saw in it I could pick the same number of faults in widely celebrated action sci-fi classics like Robocop, The Matrix, T2 and Aliens. All of these films, as I'm watching them there's two or three times I think, "Well fuck me, that's just sillygoose, he/she/it wouldn't have done that," but they're mostly a shitload of fun and excitement. I mean, we don't all have to agree on shit like this, obviously, that'd just be boring, but this is how I saw it. And me and Christian are right.
Old 08-19-2009, 05:35 AM   #23 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

District 9 was a completely enjoyable movie. I wasnt bored at all while watching it (and lately i've been bored by any movie, star trek for examnple). And i agree with my dear buddy Bucho, it's more of a Starship Troopers movie than Children of Men. Not everyone remembers it but Starship troopers was supposed to be a movie with a message too (it was a blood and guts parody of extreme patriotism). District 9 is more of a mirror of Starship Troopers.

And by the way i liked it way more than children of men, which is an overrated dozer.
Old 08-19-2009, 05:43 AM   #24 (permalink)
PARTY! SUPER PARTY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkenstein View Post
District 9 was a completely enjoyable movie.
Can't get any better than that.
(Online)   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 05:54 AM   #25 (permalink)

You said it many times, and i respect your opinion, but i just dont get what's wrong with a movie being simply entertaining.
Old 08-19-2009, 05:58 AM   #26 (permalink)
PARTY! SUPER PARTY!

Everyone's saying it's brilliant, and if you voted for Christian then you're saying it was brilliant.
(Online)   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 06:02 AM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Everyone's saying it's brilliant, and if you voted for Christian then you're saying it was brilliant.
Yes, i liked it, i thought it was very good. And i was not bored while watching it.
Old 08-19-2009, 07:53 AM   #28 (permalink)

I don't know why anyone listens to anything Keith says about movies after he said he liked Don't Mess with the Zohan.

And it was really fucking obvious why the aliens didn't just shoot shit up. 1) They were starving, 2) There's a whole fucking planet that they can't escape that has guns and isn't starving. If you really think they could just start shooting shit and not all die horribly, did you laugh at the end of 300 and say it was unrealistic, the Spartans would have totally won?

You wonder why movies have to hammer things to get you to remember them, but see what happens when they ask you to connect the dots?
Old 08-19-2009, 08:05 AM   #29 (permalink)

I also thought that the aliens had some sort of addiction to cat food. It was like a drug for them, it made 'em kinda like malnourished crackheads.

Not sure about the guns thing though, i'll have to watch it again eventually.
Old 08-19-2009, 08:07 AM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucho View Post
Naw, you misread the shit out of it Dave, they don't sell it as a deep movie at all. It's far more along the lines of The Matrix or Starship Troopers than Children Of Men or Blade Runner, it's a nice simple allegory with big silly guns wrapped around it. And as for that alien guns thing, of course they couldn't take over the world with those weapons, haven't you ever heard of helicopter gunships and napalm. The aliens were way outnumbered and way the fuck outgunned from the start, not to mention the film suggests that the ones in the slum are mostly some kind of unevolved drone without organisational or leadership capabilities. You were so bewildered by the subtitles and suckered in by the spectacularity of the alien guns you totally misread the strategic situation.

District 9 isn't perfect by any means but for any flaw I saw in it I could pick the same number of faults in widely celebrated action sci-fi classics like Robocop, The Matrix, T2 and Aliens. All of these films, as I'm watching them there's two or three times I think, "Well fuck me, that's just sillygoose, he/she/it wouldn't have done that," but they're mostly a shitload of fun and excitement. I mean, we don't all have to agree on shit like this, obviously, that'd just be boring, but this is how I saw it. And me and Christian are right.
Thank you, Bucho. Somebody who didn't actually need to have shit hammered home. District 9 is a great action movie, exactly like the movies you mentioned, great comparisons. District 9 makes more sense than, say, T2, by the way.

I will say, however, that people seem to misread into the movie describing the aliens as they did. I didn't get the sense that they were unevolved or less inherently capable, but just that they're basically blue collar aliens. They are just average dudes, not terribly well educated, not terribly interested in much else beyond their own interests, and not keen on taking charge. They all probably had a very similar function in alien society, and are probably on one of the lower rungs of it. Just like humanity, however, intelligence and capability can be present in any level of society, as we saw from Christopher Johnson.