Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: If you saw the movie District 9, who should win the $10?
Keith 28 22.22%
Christian 98 77.78%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-22-2009, 07:15 AM   #71 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Cant add much to what Bob says, cause essentially i agree with him and he's way more articulate than me but...

Davve are you sure that the goal of film criticism is to be objective? Film critics are, like any critic, a low form of journalist.

They are biased economically: most of them see the movies at special screenings and their reviews have to follow certain patterns dictated by their sponsors, or the movie producers. Even the most insignificant webzine has to do that. I can tell you as an ex-music critic: most of the times i wasnt allowed to write that a certain album totally sucked, i had to rephrase my thoughts in a non-offensive way, or be vague. If i had been objective my ass would have been on the line. (and that was one of the reasons that got me disgusted with the whole critic scene)

Plus, they're jadced. See a thousand movies, as a job, every week, and you're gonna end up looking for insignificant stuff. You're going to pay attention to stuff that no one really notices, and you're going to write reviews more to be pleased with your own writing style thanm for "objective criticism".

The only ones that are not like that are the hardcore geeks (Like AICN). But if they're not sellouts (and it's very tough not to be one), they are childish people who think that anything nerdy is awesome. And that's like listening to children arguing about silly putty vs. lego.

my 200 cents are spilled.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 07:59 PM   #72 (permalink)

I also thought District 9 was not attempting to be lofty and intellectual. I thoroughly enjoyed it. I also resent the fact that trying to be "deep" is such a horrible crime, to some people. Because all crimes, as we know, should be punishable by death.
Old 08-28-2009, 11:31 PM   #73 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarPilot View Post
I also thought District 9 was not attempting to be lofty and intellectual. I thoroughly enjoyed it. I also resent the fact that trying to be "deep" is such a horrible crime, to some people. Because all crimes, as we know, should be punishable by death.
I heard the interview with Neil Blomkamp from ComicCon and the dude flat out said it's really just a Hollywood sci-fi action/thriller movie, not some high-falootin' allegory, the apartheid stuff just comes naturally from setting it in South Africa. But by not making the main guy a simple cartoon sci-fi action hero like Vin Diesel in Pitch Black I think a few people found it hard to get on board with him and that's fair enough, he starts out as a real fucktard.
Old 08-28-2009, 11:54 PM   #74 (permalink)
PARTY! SUPER PARTY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucho View Post
But by not making the main guy a simple cartoon sci-fi action hero like Vin Diesel in Pitch Black I think a few people found it hard to get on board with him and that's fair enough, he starts out as a real fucktard.
He ends as one, also.
Old 08-29-2009, 05:40 PM   #75 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
He ends as one, also.
Sure, at the end Wikus is still a doofus but by sacrificing his own chance at making it to the ship so that Christopher can make it back to his son he's gotten at least some redemption. Fair enough if it's not enough to make him fully Bruce Willis heroic but the fact that he's at least learned that the aliens are more than just dumb animals and even put one of them ahead of himself at least shows that he's become a better man than at the start.

At that point it probably comes down to whether you think there's anything likeable about characters like you see in shows like The Office. He's like the Michael Scott of sci-fi thriller movies, he's still flawed as fuck and not the smartest or coolest guy ever but he's shown he has a heart. Plus the real good guys have successfully escaped so that's nice too.
Old 08-31-2009, 12:15 PM   #76 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of the Cock Rings View Post
The problem isn't trying, it's failing.
The fact that any form of media is deep or not is completely subjective. It could be the most poetic and intelligent thing in the world, but if it doesnt reach you, it never will and that does not mean that it has "failed".

I dont think that "District 9" tries to be deep at all, personally. But i agree with Starpilot that "deep" has become the new label that retards stick to everything that does not conform to their own sensibility. Put that with "artsy", "pretentious", "emo" and all that shit. It's so hip to be square, right?
Old 08-31-2009, 12:29 PM   #77 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of the Cock Rings View Post
The problem isn't trying, it's failing.
But since that movie wasn't trying, it can't fail.

It reeked of summer blockbuster, whether or not you're the sort of person who gets hopelessly confused by *GASP* a documentary-style filming or *GASP* dialog.