Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: What makes Obama speaking in schools controversial?
He might have a hidden agenda with the children. 32 17.58%
People are racist - pure and simple. 150 82.42%
Voters: 182. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-10-2009, 12:54 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecrucial View Post
Ya it always seemed strange to me that people put Guitar Hero in a different category.

People who play Madden are hitting coloured buttons on a hunk of plastic to throw a football instead of going outside and actually PLAYING football.

People who play Guitar Hero are hitting coloured buttons on a hunk of plastic to make a song rather than actually playing a song.

I think the disconnect is that the hunk of plastic you see them holding resembles an object when really it's a controller just like any other but it's in a different shape.

If the Nintendo Wii comes up with a football attachment maybe people will also treat my Madden example as equally ridiculous.
Agreed. I've always found the hate for these games strange. If it's not your thing then it's not your thing, just like any other game. But people get weirdly angry/offended by GH and RB and it's never made much sense to me.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 02:05 PM   #12 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by standardman View Post
The misconception with Guitar Hero always baffles me. It's not my thing but I still get that people play it because it's a fun game. Asking someone why they don't learn to play a real guitar instead is like asking me (or Keith) why we don't go the firing range, learn martial arts or how to save the universe from techicolor aliens instead of turning on the Xbox. It's a game, just like any other.
There's no misconception, you can learn guitar in your house almost as easy as you can learn to play these games and the rewards are exponentially bigger. Playing football games is different because you can't do that alone and can't always get a game together (like when it's dark or snowing out) or maybe you're just not in shape enough to handle the real thing. And I already pointed out why playing GTA or saving the universe from technicolored aliens is different, because in real life doing those things is next to impossible. Learning guitar is a piece of piss compared to that.

And there's no hate or anger or offense about it, just bafflement, I just don't get the attraction. Why do something half-assed when the real deal is easily within reach. If a talentless dipshit like me can learn to play then anyone can.
Old 09-10-2009, 02:11 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucho View Post
There's no misconception, you can learn guitar in your house almost as easy as you can learn to play these games and the rewards are exponentially bigger. Playing football games is different because you can't do that alone and can't always get a game together (like when it's dark or snowing out) or maybe you're just not in shape enough to handle the real thing. And I already pointed out why playing GTA or saving the universe from technicolored aliens is different, because in real life doing those things is next to impossible. Learning guitar is a piece of piss compared to that.

And there's no hate or anger or offense about it, just bafflement, I just don't get the attraction. Why do something half-assed when the real deal is easily within reach. If a talentless dipshit like me can learn to play then anyone can.
But they're not playing the game to learn an instrument, they're playing the game because they want to play a game.
Old 09-10-2009, 02:34 PM   #14 (permalink)
PARTY! SUPER PARTY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by standardman View Post
But they're not playing the game to learn an instrument, they're playing the game because they want to play a game.
Wrong. They think they're really actually Guitar Heroes. They always say it makes them better musicians, even though they've never picked up a real instrument.
Old 09-10-2009, 02:36 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Wrong. They think they're really actually Guitar Heroes. They always say it makes them better musicians, even though they've never picked up a real instrument.
Well then that's fucking retarded but I've never come across it.
Old 09-10-2009, 02:38 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Yep, reminds me of Dance, Dance Revolution, and how people thought they were learning to dance.
Old 09-10-2009, 02:41 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
I feel it has made me a better musician only in the sense it has increased dexterity of my fingers. Nothing more.

I picked up piano because of Guitar Hero.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grapist View Post
Yep, reminds me of Dance, Dance Revolution, and how people thought they were learning to dance.
After playing a lot of DDR, I was never under the impression that I was a good dancer. However, after having played a lot of it, I will speak on behalf of all players that it will ease your transition learning real dance.

I've never taken dance classes.

I play these games because it is flat out fun to play a game with a unique peripheral. There is no other reason.

Last edited by Astigos; 09-10-2009 at 02:46 PM.
Old 09-10-2009, 04:06 PM   #18 (permalink)
mkl

Still no Beatles on iTunes...that was just a rumor that they would be put on iTunes on 9/9/9, didn't happen.

@@@edited to add:
and that's why I should listen to the whole show before I post

Last edited by mkl; 09-10-2009 at 04:34 PM.
Old 09-10-2009, 04:49 PM   #19 (permalink)

Regarding the China Walmart story - many news organisations are now reporting that the woman had left the store and was on her way to her home which was a very short distance away (this explains the family coming so quickly) when she was accosted by a group of people from the store who were in plainclothes, demanding she open her purse and prove she had paid for the merchandise she was carrying. She was suspicious because they weren't wearing uniforms and she was already well out of the store, so she refused to cooperate. Then the argument started and she was beaten. An eyewitness said four or five young men were beating the woman, and the scene was 'horrific'. The dead womans husband said a receipt was found in her pocket after the event (don't know how much faith you can put in his word alone, obviously), and two of the staff members have been arrested, and the other three are being investigated.

I'm sure Keith would want the women in his life to willingly open their purse to a group of five aggressive male strangers on the street, if they demand. Especially if they aren't in uniform. And obviously they should be beaten to death if they don't cooperate.
Old 09-10-2009, 06:50 PM   #20 (permalink)
mkl

The school speech controversy is just partisan BS. Simple Red vs Blue bickering. If the reason is is controversial is racism, why was it controversial when George HW Bush spoke to schools? It is just republicans complaining about anything they can about democrats, just like democrats do when they are in power.

In 1991 when Bush gave a speech to school children.. Democrats complained, had congressional hearings,etc. It was infact a MUCH bigger deal than this obama speech. back then democrats had this to say:
"The Department of Education should not be producing paid political advertising for the president, it should be helping us to produce smarter students" Richard Gephardt (Democrat) House Majority Leader.

Republicans and Democrats will take shots at whoever is in power when it isn't them, for anything they can. Even if it is the same stuff they have done in the past. Racism doesn't need to be brought into the equation. This same complaining would have happen if Hillary was president, or John McCain.

Last edited by mkl; 09-10-2009 at 07:28 PM.