Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: The Hold Your Wii For a Wii Death Judgement
The family deserves the $16,500,000. 41 28.87%
They don't deserve that money. The mom is also to blame. 101 71.13%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-02-2009, 10:17 AM   #21 (permalink)

Maybe the actor/plant from the haunted house can go on to be kicked out of a Midnight Oil show.

Jack White looks like his parents are brother and sister. That pale freak.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 11:58 AM   #22 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer

The home run trot isn't celebratory. If you miss a base, you can be out.

Robin Ventura's game winning home run for the Mets in 1999 went over the fence, but he only gets a single in the box score because he was mobbed by the rest of the team before he got to second.

Also, I watch baseball and never had alcohol (and, yes, I'm old enough to have.) That doesn't prove anything, of course. I do feel like I'm the only one. But I feel like I'm the only one not drinking in general, not just the only one not drinking while watching baseball.
Old 11-03-2009, 12:02 AM   #23 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkenstein View Post
The White Stripes are a good band at rehashing old stuff. Jack is a killer guitarist and songwriter, especially in their later albums, where he has more musicians to beef up the songs a little. The first ones, whre it's basically him and Meg (One of the worst drummers of our age) are quite lame. I'd rather listen to old 70's garage bands or some modern ones with an edge (like, for example, The Heads or The Solarflares). The Stripes bore me after a few tracks.

The Raconteurs are way better. Jack improves a lot when he hasnt shitty Meg around. Bluesy, rootsy stuff with alot of soul and balls. Last album is very good. They do their best live where they can jam freely and raise the volume.
The Raconteurs sound much more ordinary to me, I feel like they water down the things I like about Jack White and it has much less soul and balls than the music off De Stijl and White Blood Cells, it's like he's too relaxed and comfortable with The Raconteurs so the electric intensity and tension that runs through The White Stripes isn't there. Steady As She Goes and Level for example, they just don't get my juices flowing at all. I get bored pretty quick by the jamming too, it just strikes me as pretty bland stuff.

To me what Meg does is for The White Stripes is pretty much perfect and I completely get why Jack wants her drumming for him when he could easily get a dozen more practised drummers to do the job. Partly that basic drumming reminds me of listening to guys like John Lee Hooker when it was just him, his guitar and his foot tapping out the beat, there's such power and grace in that simplicity that lets the guitar and vocals fill out three dimensionally and breathe. The other part of why I love Meg is the innocence in her playing, there's something very endearingly ego-less (and untestosteroney) about it.

They're a fucking kick-ass live band too, the pair of them make more magic than any number of four and five piece outfits. Of the post-90s garage rock acts I've seen live maybe only The Datsuns and The Hives have been as much fun. I sometimes wonder if I'd like them so much if I'd heard the hype before I heard the band but a local radio station was thrashing songs off De Stijl back in 2000 and they got a big enough following here to tour NZ (their first gig outside the US in fact) about a year before they got big anywhere else in the world so we were lucky enough to hear them fresh. It took me longer to like The Strokes because they arrived hyped to fuck and back.

But it's exactly that unbeefed-up sound from those first albums that I dig so much. In the same way that John Lee Hooker's foot tapping sounds 100 times more badass and menacing than anything Lars Ulrich ever played, The White Stripes stripped back sound feels 100 times more real and vital to me than almost any other retro styled act I've heard since the 90s.
Old 11-03-2009, 12:52 AM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucho View Post
The Raconteurs sound much more ordinary to me, I feel like they water down the things I like about Jack White and it has much less soul and balls than the music off De Stijl and White Blood Cells, it's like he's too relaxed and comfortable with The Raconteurs so the electric intensity and tension that runs through The White Stripes isn't there. Steady As She Goes and Level for example, they just don't get my juices flowing at all. I get bored pretty quick by the jamming too, it just strikes me as pretty bland stuff.

To me what Meg does is for The White Stripes is pretty much perfect and I completely get why Jack wants her drumming for him when he could easily get a dozen more practised drummers to do the job. Partly that basic drumming reminds me of listening to guys like John Lee Hooker when it was just him, his guitar and his foot tapping out the beat, there's such power and grace in that simplicity that lets the guitar and vocals fill out three dimensionally and breathe. The other part of why I love Meg is the innocence in her playing, there's something very endearingly ego-less (and untestosteroney) about it.

They're a fucking kick-ass live band too, the pair of them make more magic than any number of four and five piece outfits. Of the post-90s garage rock acts I've seen live maybe only The Datsuns and The Hives have been as much fun. I sometimes wonder if I'd like them so much if I'd heard the hype before I heard the band but a local radio station was thrashing songs off De Stijl back in 2000 and they got a big enough following here to tour NZ (their first gig outside the US in fact) about a year before they got big anywhere else in the world so we were lucky enough to hear them fresh. It took me longer to like The Strokes because they arrived hyped to fuck and back.

But it's exactly that unbeefed-up sound from those first albums that I dig so much. In the same way that John Lee Hooker's foot tapping sounds 100 times more badass and menacing than anything Lars Ulrich ever played, The White Stripes stripped back sound feels 100 times more real and vital to me than almost any other retro styled act I've heard since the 90s.
translation: less is more

truthful. even take the drumming on the first two strokes albums. painfully simplistic with really oversimplified patterns, and it was perfect. it was effortless, it was cool, it was like a big fuck you to every showboat of a drummer out there, and you know what, the third album proves that fool can play.

Old 11-03-2009, 01:05 AM   #25 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kydizzle View Post

truthful. even take the drumming on the first two strokes albums. painfully simplistic with really oversimplified patterns, and it was perfect. it was effortless, it was cool, it was like a big fuck you to every showboat of a drummer out there, and you know what, the third album proves that fool can play.

Yep. And different strokes (no pun) for different folks I guess. Meg's playing is so great juxtaposed with Jack's playing and writing on those White Stripes songs but I like The Dead Weather a lot too, definitely more than The Raconteurs. And some of my favourite drumming is Matt Cameron with Soundgarden and Dave Grohl with QOTSA and they get fancy enough when the need arises, so I'm not any kind of purist in that regard. But I think what strikes a lot of people as a weakness in The White Stripes is actually one of their great strengths.
Old 11-03-2009, 01:42 AM   #26 (permalink)

I first saw The Dead Weather on Conan O'brien, without previousl knowing that Jack White played the drums for them. I was really impressed. He was pretty good, I liked the song, and the lead singer (Alison Mosshart) was hot! I dig her smoky voice. (this is probably how she got it....)
Old 11-03-2009, 03:39 AM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucho View Post
Yep. And different strokes (no pun) for different folks I guess. Meg's playing is so great juxtaposed with Jack's playing and writing on those White Stripes songs but I like The Dead Weather a lot too, definitely more than The Raconteurs. And some of my favourite drumming is Matt Cameron with Soundgarden and Dave Grohl with QOTSA and they get fancy enough when the need arises, so I'm not any kind of purist in that regard. But I think what strikes a lot of people as a weakness in The White Stripes is actually one of their great strengths.
yeah, im no purist, but it applies where it applies, and here, it does.
Old 11-03-2009, 03:59 AM   #28 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

I agree with the less is more idea, i just find Meg's drumming too repetitive to be enjoyable on the long distance. The Black Keys play a similar sounding type of basic rock, woth two guys playing and all, but the drumming is far more convinving.

I'm all for minimalism in music (i think Seasick Steve is a gift from heaven), i just think that jack's guitar and good taste in writing songs would work better if he had a differten drummer.

Raconteurs work better live. On album they sound good,. but after seeing them onstage i fell in love with some of their songs. They had that jam-loving, volumes to 11 attitude that i love. BTW, Jack wasnt at the shows, yet they played beautifully.
Old 11-04-2009, 01:07 AM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkenstein View Post
Raconteurs work better live. On album they sound good,. but after seeing them onstage i fell in love with some of their songs. They had that jam-loving, volumes to 11 attitude that i love. BTW, Jack wasnt at the shows, yet they played beautifully.
I'll just have to take your word for it dude, I've only seen them live on Youtube and there's nothing there to convince me to shell out for a ticket if they ever come back my way.
Old 11-04-2009, 01:49 PM   #30 (permalink)

I don't really get how Chemda (and Keith it seems) is able to put a dollar value to a human life.
As if the value of a human life was defined by how much money you made, or would have made (and wouldn't that also mean that some lives are more valuable than others, which I don't think is true?). I don't think any price is high enough if you want to argue about the price of a human life.
I understand that the radio station (which is totally responsible for the woman's death in my opinion) can't pay the family an infinite amount of money but arguing that any amount, no matter how high, is too much, just seems very wrong to me.