Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: Should Ben Lerman have been deported?
Yes; rules are rules. He should have known them and followed them. 85 63.91%
No; everything was blown out of proportion. 48 36.09%
Voters: 133. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-08-2009, 07:51 AM   #21 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by picard102 View Post
Custom Officers jobs are to keep you out of their country. Why should they compromise their countries rules and their jobs to let someone slide through the cracks who didn't know enough to lie in the first place.
He didnt do anything so scummy or dangerous to be treated that way. It's not about bending the rules, it's about using them with common sense.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 07:59 AM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkenstein View Post
He didnt do anything so scummy or dangerous to be treated that way. It's not about bending the rules, it's about using them with common sense.
He was at least granted a temporary pass to enter the country. I think that showed a degree of flexibility. And coffee too!

I very much doubt US authorities would extend a similar courtesy to a non-american trying to enter the US after it was proved you were bullshitting.
Old 12-08-2009, 08:16 AM   #23 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
He was at least granted a temporary pass to enter the country. I think that showed a degree of flexibility. And coffee too!

I very much doubt US authorities would extend a similar courtesy to a non-american trying to enter the US after it was proved you were bullshitting.
I dont think that the US border police would send a white english speaking guy to the new Guantanamo for what in simpler terms is a technicality.

Granted it could have been worse in more brutal countries, but the UK is a tolerant, understanding place, why commit syuch a faux pas. Does Ben look like a potential threat? Seriously?
Old 12-08-2009, 01:45 PM   #24 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
I dont think that the US border police would send a white english speaking guy to the new Guantanamo for what in simpler terms is a technicality.

Granted it could have been worse in more brutal countries, but the UK is a tolerant, understanding place, why commit syuch a faux pas. Does Ben look like a potential threat? Seriously?
Yes the US Border Patrol would, and yes they have.....

Whether or not you judge what he did as 'brutal' is beside the point.... if the law dictates that if you are coming for work you need these types of documents and he doesn't have it, then there isn't much for a degree of leniency. He got in (although be it for a short period of time).... that IMO was really lenient
Old 12-08-2009, 01:59 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
The point wasn't that he was a threat. It was that he was there without the proper paperwork. Why should they bend the rules?

Last edited by picard102; 12-08-2009 at 02:01 PM.
Old 12-08-2009, 02:33 PM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of the Cock Rings View Post
Dude, I realize that the rules might be confusing and seemingly unfair, but thems the rules. Every country imposes some type of permitting system for foreigners to work within their borders. it's not personal, sheesh
Once again, it is not possible for an independent artist to get a permit. How am I supposed to follow the rules when getting a permit is IMPOSSIBLE?
Old 12-08-2009, 02:49 PM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by benlerman View Post
Once again, it is not possible for an independent artist to get a permit. How am I supposed to follow the rules when getting a permit is IMPOSSIBLE?
Easy, don't work in that country. That's what the rule is designed to do, keep independent artists out. Next time, send your merch ahead through the post and don't tell them you're there to work. Though it's likely now that you're in the system and they'll be extra cautious with you now, so keep the digital evidence to a minimum.
Old 12-08-2009, 02:59 PM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by benlerman View Post
It's not impossible, it's just difficult. It's like a tariff used to cut foreign competition in favor of local goods and services. While the bigtime acts like Dane Cook can easily afford to go perform there and make a nice profit, unknowns are handicapped to weigh in favor of local artists still trying to catch a break.

But don't worry! When Dane goes there, he'll steal enough of your jokes so it's like they got to see your act anyway.
Old 12-08-2009, 03:11 PM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ansur View Post
It's not impossible, it's just difficult. It's like a tariff used to cut foreign competition in favor of local goods and services. While the bigtime acts like Dane Cook can easily afford to go perform there and make a nice profit, unknowns are handicapped to weigh in favor of local artists still trying to catch a break.

But don't worry! When Dane goes there, he'll steal enough of your jokes so it's like they got to see your act anyway.
I don't think you get it. I can't apply for a permit. The venue has to apply for the permit. It costs the venue $1000. Venues that I play at are too small to be able to afford the permit, and therefore will not get one. Hence, it IS impossible for me to get a permit.
Old 12-08-2009, 03:40 PM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of the Cock Rings View Post
All the more reason to become a clever liar. As Picard said, send merch over, don't advertise a show in advance, say the uke is a gift for the friend you are visiting, etc.

I've seen those Peruvian street performing bands in EVERY goddamn tourist city in the World. it IS possible.
Right. Of course. I meant, it is not possible to do it LEGALLY.