Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: Is Chemda a music snob?
Yes 135 69.95%
No 58 30.05%
Voters: 193. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-03-2010, 10:43 AM   #11 (permalink)

Battlefield Earth:

Done by John Travolta, based on a story by L. Ron Hubbard. Horrible, horrible movie. I had to watch it as well, just to see how bad it is.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 10:53 AM   #12 (permalink)

Avatar is just Pocahontas and Dances with Wolves in space. Big fucking deal.

But can I believe that a superpower would go into an indigenous population and rape them of their valuable resources? Um, that's pretty much European history in a nutshell...which isn't to say that other cultures haven't done it, too.
Old 02-03-2010, 11:01 AM   #13 (permalink)

I think I've figured Keith's movie tastes out. He doesn't like movies. At all. Sure, there are a few that are tolerable, but on the whole he just doesn't enjoy the artform. Which is fine. I don't like cooking or eating extravagant meals. So I don't eat them or go to nice restaurants. If Keith is bored at almost every movie ("Nothing happened", "I was bored shitless" and so on) maybe he should just stick to tv. Shorter blocks of time make for less boredom. It makes no sense to impose artificial limits on how long a movie should be. If a movie needs to take 4 hours to tell its story, let it happen. It's like me telling Keith and Chemda to make their show only half an hour long because I think that works better. It's a ludicrous view.

In conclusion (because I know Keith likes to have everything go back to school for some reason), it's ok to not like movies, I suggest you stop watching them

I take pictures of things.
Old 02-03-2010, 11:01 AM   #14 (permalink)

Also can't sing: Mick Jagger, Bob Dylan, Patti Smith, Joey Ramone. I'm sure there are a lot more, but these are off the top of my head.

Taylor Swift isn't horrible, especially compared to any of these. Her music is more about the content and how everyone can identify with something in the songs.

She's also not hiding behind auto-tune, which is aces plus.

I don't want to listen to only gifted singers no more than I want to listen to only gifted musicians. Yngwie Malmsteen, Steve Vai and Joe Satriani are all virtuoso guitarists, but a whole concert of that would make me batshit crazy.

("Okay, you can play 10,000 notes per minute, I get it!")

Meanwhile, Jimmy Page, Eric Clapton, B.B. King, etc. can hit one note and give you chills. It's about the power of the song, not technical proficiency.
Old 02-03-2010, 11:17 AM   #15 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

People who play an instruments usually pay a lot more attention to the technical aspects of music. Of course emotions must come first. But a bass player or a guitariist will definitely enjoy a virtuoso much more than the average Joe. None of the two is more right than the other, it's just a matter of taste.

That works with vocals too. A professional singer, especially one that, like chemda, has a highly powerful voice, will notice the faults in some singers more than others. Also she loves both Alanis Morrisette and Tracy Chapman and both of them arent your usual perfectly pitched singers. Taste.

Two things though: dont you DARE say that Joey Ramone couldnt sing, not even tyo make a point. Also Malmsteen is a bad guitarist even for a technically inclined ear. Third, fuck you(u-u-u-u) and welcome to the forums.
Old 02-03-2010, 11:28 AM   #16 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior View Post
I think I've figured Keith's movie tastes out. He doesn't like movies. At all. Sure, there are a few that are tolerable, but on the whole he just doesn't enjoy the artform.
Hmm. He will never say you're right but you might have a point there. I say this only because i had a similar phase with movies and some types of music too. And concerts, too. I simply was bored out of my skull at everything i listened, saw or attended. I thought at first that everything was shitty, but maybe i was just Jaded. Once in a while something excited me but far less than usual.

As a counterpoint i have to say that Keith has always disliked some type of movies and has never been easy to please. He liked "Downfall" and "W.", to name a few. So he just has an acquired taste.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzgal View Post
But can I believe that a superpower would go into an indigenous population and rape them of their valuable resources? Um, that's pretty much European history in a nutshell...which isn't to say that other cultures haven't done it, too.
In my not so humble opinion that's called "Survival of the fittest" or "evolution" and it isnt as bad as hippies say.
Old 02-03-2010, 11:32 AM   #17 (permalink)

Keith's Bingo qualifications.

Of course Keith is qualified to host Bingo, he grew up Catholic.
Old 02-03-2010, 12:20 PM   #18 (permalink)

I'm with Chemda on Taylor Swift.

All of her songs are the same "OMG, I have glasses and a pony tail, how can the popular boy in high school like me?" Jesus Taylor, you're 20! You only went to high school for a year! Get over it, you're a fucking millionaire!
Old 02-03-2010, 12:30 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG_Bacon! View Post
Also can't sing: Mick Jagger, Bob Dylan, Patti Smith, Joey Ramone. I'm sure there are a lot more, but these are off the top of my head.

Taylor Swift isn't horrible, especially compared to any of these. Her music is more about the content and how everyone can identify with something in the songs.

She's also not hiding behind auto-tune, which is aces plus.

I don't want to listen to only gifted singers no more than I want to listen to only gifted musicians. Yngwie Malmsteen, Steve Vai and Joe Satriani are all virtuoso guitarists, but a whole concert of that would make me batshit crazy.

("Okay, you can play 10,000 notes per minute, I get it!")

Meanwhile, Jimmy Page, Eric Clapton, B.B. King, etc. can hit one note and give you chills. It's about the power of the song, not technical proficiency.
FUUUUUUCKKKKKKKKK YOUUUUUUUUU! And welcome to the forums!

And OMG! BACON! Love your name! You're my new favorite forums member... Let's have a meet up so I can eat you!
Old 02-03-2010, 12:46 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior View Post
I think I've figured Keith's movie tastes out. He doesn't like movies. At all. Sure, there are a few that are tolerable, but on the whole he just doesn't enjoy the artform.
But he has liked some movies, and he has stated the ones he enjoyed. I heard him on the podcast. Or do I just think I remember him saying he liked this or that movie? Now I have to listen to all the KATG podcasts a 5th time!