Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: Does Keith hate movies?
Yes 161 66.53%
No 81 33.47%
Voters: 242. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-04-2010, 03:35 PM   #31 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preston Buttons View Post
Incorrect.
Not Top ten movies of all time worthy. For me, of course.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 05:22 PM   #32 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Keith's point about how just because he loves only the minority of movies doesn't mean he hates movies was completely spot on. People who love music don't love all music. They don't even love the majority of music. Movies are no different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12side View Post
Oh at this point I was just making some points on what Junkenstein said, not about Keith's "suspension of disbelief". And I know I'm using that term simply, I just didn't want to get into a whole thing in this thread. And there wasn't anything too supernatural in The Matrix or Watchmen. Nothing that could not be explained without using some magical/fantasy excuse
Of course you were talking about Keith, you were quoting more or less exactly what he said in the show. And you're talking nonsense, magic/fantasy is supernatural. The massive blue cocked dude in Watchmen who has Superman-like powers? You see that in nature? No, it's no more Real World than flying dragons or fairy ninjas or any of that other stuff. You need some weapons-grade suspension of disbelief to go along with that Watchmen ridiculousness.

The Matrix, Watchmen, fucking Sixth Sense. Drag Me To Hell. None of these are even remotely Real World shit, and yet Keith enjoys them very much.
Old 02-04-2010, 06:41 PM   #33 (permalink)
2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer

Listening to Chris try and justify his OkCupid communication style made me want to punch the wall. Chemda gave him far less than he deserved!

I also have a hard time believing his assertion that most women aren't good at giving head. Remember, this is a dude whose penis has eyeballs; I can't help but wonder if that changes things.
Old 02-04-2010, 06:54 PM   #34 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucho View Post
And you're talking nonsense, magic/fantasy is supernatural.
I think you misunderstand how the double negative worked in that sentence, or maybe I'm terrible at grammar and I didn't get my point across. I was saying magic/fantasy is on the level of supernatural. And Dr. Manhattan's powers are of a more Science Fiction origin. And again I must stress that my argument had diverged from what I thought Keith liked and disliked, so it is there that you are incorrect. Let me decide what I was talking about in my own argument. The only thing I mentioned in that I thought drove Keith and his movie likes were story development vs character development.
Old 02-04-2010, 10:22 PM   #35 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12side View Post
I think you misunderstand how the double negative worked in that sentence, or maybe I'm terrible at grammar and I didn't get my point across. I was saying magic/fantasy is on the level of supernatural. And Dr. Manhattan's powers are of a more Science Fiction origin. And again I must stress that my argument had diverged from what I thought Keith liked and disliked, so it is there that you are incorrect. Let me decide what I was talking about in my own argument. The only thing I mentioned in that I thought drove Keith and his movie likes were story development vs character development.
Oh yeah dude, I think you're on the right track when you say that certain types of characters seem to appeal more to Keith than others. The story can't have any plotholes either.

But as much as Dr Manhattan and other comic book characters are dressed up as sci-fi it's really just magic at the heart of it. Sci-fi is about projecting what we know about technology now into the future and imagining future ways of life that might set up for us. Some massive dude who's pure energy or whatever? That's fantasy.

And when you answered Junk with that stuff about suspension of disbelief and how some people don't have it, and those people like to call those who do, "stupid"? The reason that reads like you're talking about Keith is it's a direct reference to what he said in the show.

I'm not going to call you retarded, because I also like long character driven movies and throwing myself into the experience whole-heartedly, but if a film-maker doesn't do the work required to make that experience coherent there's only so much stretching I'm going to do to join the dots for them. If Cameron is going to give me half-assed characters then 2:45 is going to feel really fucking long. Other films, that give me a good character or two, I can happily sit with for 3 hours plus.
Old 02-04-2010, 10:44 PM   #36 (permalink)

Well Bucho I'm turning around on you, haha. I definately see your point about fantasy masking itself into science fiction to appeal to a different audience. I guess dragons and aliens aren't so different.

And I confess I don't always remember what was said in the show so I'm sure it is in my subconsious. Was it mentioned in this episode or the last one, because I stupidly put them out of order on my playlist so I haven't finished his Avatar review episode.

So I beleive despite our bickering, we are in agreement over most things we've discussed. I'll leave arguments about Avatar int he Avatar thread, haha. I enjoyed myself but I definately understand the opposing side. (My apologies for seeming so neutral and agreeable, but that's the kind of person I am, not some troll, hah).

I said good day, sir!
Old 02-04-2010, 11:20 PM   #37 (permalink)

Sorry if this is the wrong thread/forum but, is anyone else having trouble downloading katg dirrectly to an ipod/iPhone? All my other podcasts connect to itune perfectly fine and download but not katg, it's always worked in the past so I don't think the problem is on my end.

Thanks in advance
Old 02-04-2010, 11:29 PM   #38 (permalink)

Even movies that Keith likes have plot holes. Take Citizen Kane for example. Who hears him say "Rosebud"? That's the whole premise of the movie!

And Keith doesn't like movies. Once the "meh's" outweigh the "awesome's" you gotta say that there's something there. Which is a sentence that makes no sense. But, really, look at all the movies Keith talked about last year. Outside of Downfall and Doubt I don't recall him saying anything positive about any of them. I get it's a comedy show, but there's gotta be something good about more than two movies, right?

I take pictures of things.
Old 02-04-2010, 11:38 PM   #39 (permalink)

Who needs to hear him say rosebud? You hear him say it, you understand it.
Old 02-04-2010, 11:55 PM   #40 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by garo View Post
Who needs to hear him say rosebud? You hear him say it, you understand it.
Yes, but the point of the movie is to find out what rosebud is. That's what drives the plot. But how could it do that if there was nobody to hear it in the first place?