Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: Who made out the most in the Letterman/Leno Super Bowl commercial?
David Letterman 96 68.57%
Jay Leno 24 17.14%
Oprah Winfrey 20 14.29%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-11-2010, 08:00 AM   #21 (permalink)

First of all, I try not to say anything negative about this show, I listen everyday and I look forward to each and every new episode.

That said

I love a good debate and this just wasn't one. For the first time in a LOOOOOOOOOOONG time I fast forwarded an episode. Most of Joe's points were of the "even I don't really give a fuck" variety. He was splitting hairs about his PERSONAL ideas about sex and his PERSONAL ideas about AA. Both arguments sounded like someone arguing the existence of Santa Clause (who DID exist, but not in a red hat and North Pole, so yes there is a Saint Nick, blah, blah, blah)

Who gives a fuck?

Points to Chemda for trying to make the "arguement" logical and/or fun...but only 4 points...on a 8 point scale...try harder next time...I'm joking, just let him run himself out of steam and he''ll fall asleep on the desk.
Host What's Up Amsterdam Podcast
I knew Bob Crane, I partied with Bob Crane, you sir, are NO Bob Crane
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 08:11 AM   #22 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Joe De Rosa is a very funny comic. But he has this weight abouyt him that makes him interact weirdly when he's on a show. He's perfect when he's with Bill Burr (where he's the calmer counterpart to Burr's manic-ness). But yeah, he's not exactly a like-able, fun person.

Once, Burr told him (on his podcast): "What's wrong, Joe? You look pissed off! Oh, right, you're always miserable".
Old 02-11-2010, 08:17 AM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkenstein View Post
Cheer up, Lily. Joe is a comedian. Most of those guys do not represent the norm in terms of sexual and mental health.

After hearing so many comedians guest on this and other shows, I really believe this is correct.

I thought Keith and Chemda did a good job of calling him out on it though.

Last edited by Blitzgal; 02-11-2010 at 08:36 AM.
Old 02-11-2010, 09:22 AM   #24 (permalink)
2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bastard View Post
I love a good debate and this just wasn't one. For the first time in a LOOOOOOOOOOONG time I fast forwarded an episode. Most of Joe's points were of the "even I don't really give a fuck" variety.
I disagree- I think Joe takes himself so seriously and cares so much about being right that he'll say stuff that doesn't even make sense just to stay on top of an argument. Joe was all over the place, I couldn't really figure out what his point was other than "I'm right and everyone should believe I'm right and take me seriously". Every now and then there's a guest like this, and I always enjoy hearing Chemda (because it's usually Chemda) holding her own against him, but I agree that it's not the sort of show I want to listen to every day.
Old 02-11-2010, 09:38 AM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkenstein View Post
Cheer up, Lily. Joe is a comedian. Most of those guys do not represent the norm in terms of sexual and mental health.
Normally I love dysfunctional and depressed comedians. I just really wanted to skip this episode. I think I only finished it because I'm a masochist.
Old 02-11-2010, 09:39 AM   #26 (permalink)

Gotta say, this show stresses again how amazingly badass Chemda is. Yes she is a gentle person, yes she is ironic and warm. But when it comes to making her point on something she believes in, she has the bite of a shark.

Just notice how she handled the whole confrntation with joe, slowly debunking his points, while Keith was all polite jokes and gentle pokes. Best hosts/debaters/couple ever.

ADD x miss lily: well, depressed comedians can be very funny. But Joe seems more of a depressed person who happens to do comedy. Marc Maron is a dark fella and very self conscious but he's a riot to listen to. And Bill Hicks was apparently the opposite of depressed, off stage. Stanhope is a possessed man but he's very friendly as a person. Joe seems to be just in a constantly sour mood. So that come sout on a show like KATG where the layers come off.

Last edited by Junkenstein; 02-11-2010 at 09:46 AM.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:40 AM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Not cause you like to argue, but because being part of an adult heated discussion that comes from a good place is spice - it's fun.
To me, it didn't seem like we were on a fun exploration to learn the point of view of this particular guest. It was more about immediately disagreeing with things that he said, for quite a long stretch. I don't think that's the same as a good debate. Joe referenced later in the show how uncomfortable it was, thinking that he wasn't gonna get asked back. Hearing this show brought back some unpleasant feelings that I haven't felt at all since I left. So that's all I mean. Obviously a lot of good came from being on KATG, but I don't miss those feelings.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:48 AM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNally View Post
To me, it didn't seem like we were on a fun exploration to learn the point of view of this particular guest. It was more about immediately disagreeing with things that he said, for quite a long stretch. I don't think that's the same as a good debate. Joe referenced later in the show how uncomfortable it was, thinking that he wasn't gonna get asked back. Hearing this show brought back some unpleasant feelings that I haven't felt at all since I left. So that's all I mean. Obviously a lot of good came from being on KATG, but I don't miss those feelings.

He means fun for "us", c'mon man, it isn't always about YOU!!

Miss ya on the show.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:58 AM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grapist View Post
He means fun for "us", c'mon man, it isn't always about YOU!!

Miss ya on the show.
I think Keith meant fun in general. It's fun for the listeners too obviously, if done with skills. But on a general base i think that debating passionately is one of the things that makes me feel alive. I feel dead inside when everyone agrees with everyobdy and there's not even a hint of debate or arguing.

To me "meeting half way" is equal to drowning.

Of course everyone perceives things in a different manner, so what's good for me could be hell for somebody else. But if a disagreement is so painful to you, then dont go on a show where usually people are open and ready to discuss.

I miss McNally too. But i'm loving XO so much, i almost like it more than when he was a simple guest on KATG. He really got to my heart with that one.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:14 AM   #30 (permalink)

I really don't think I was cut out for KATG, ultimately. It did shake me up more than it should have, I found it hard to hold my own without getting mad at people.

One handy thing I learned is that I don't wanna be famous. I always thought I did, but the scrutiny of the KATG world really made me uncomfortable sometimes. The way I reacted to their attention wasn't always positive. I felt like I was less in control of myself, saying weird things and doing confrontational stuff for no good reason. If I were somehow super-famous, I don't know what would happen, but it wouldn't be good.

Being back in Canada in a civilian life, I just feel like I've got my shit way more together. Turns out the place where I feel most powerful is just being a normal dude. It's kinda nice to know.

Last edited by McNally; 02-11-2010 at 11:33 AM.