Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: Should the driving test in America be in English only?
Yes. This is America. You need to be able to read the American signs. 98 52.97%
No. That’s racist. The test can be available in other languages. 87 47.03%
Voters: 185. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-29-2010, 01:51 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spooky View Post
Personally, I like being able to legally drive in virtually any country I travel to...
Being a visitor to another country, and trying to obtain a license in your country of origin are two separate issue to me. And there are rules on what license types are valid from which countries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownEyedBtch View Post
Personally, the varying languages for the test gives me some peace of mind that those who have actually received licenses have spent time learning the rules and don't just figure it out as they go.
Not sure how it works in America, but here the written test isn't an assurance that you can drive competently and withing the rules of the road. That what the practical test is for, and why there are learners licenses.

Last edited by picard102; 04-29-2010 at 01:57 AM.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 02:46 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by picard102 View Post
Being a visitor to another country, and trying to obtain a license in your country of origin are two separate issue to me. And there are rules on what license types are valid from which countries.
I'm addressing the larger issue, "You need to be able to read the American signs."

The argument for voting yes is that if you can't read English, you don't get to drive in America. If you apply that belief to law, all law, not just this locale, what I talk about are the results you get.

I've found it helps to figure out if something is right or wrong by expanding the logic to the bigger picture. As a Republican, I believe the state has the right to be wrong without it fucking it up for the rest of us, and as I don't live in Alabama, I have no say there. But when asking about my belief, what I feel is right(which isn't always how I would vote), it only makes sense to pretend I am a Democrat and apply a single rule of law to all.

You are Canadian, Picard, how would you feel if your government told you that if you can't take the test in French, you don't get a license, as you may encounter french signs in parts of Canada. After all, if you can't read the signs, you can't drive, right?

I say that's wrong, I think you can navigate just fine through Canada without knowing French.
To be fair, to really follow Spooky's diet, you can't just eat chicken. You have to spend your days cleaning up after a slob roommate and night shivering like a rain soaked rage filled chihuahua about having to clean up after said roommate until you finally snap and yell at him. It should be called the Mexican maid diet.
Old 04-29-2010, 04:20 AM   #13 (permalink)

Reading English Signs

The important/safety signs are usually included in the test, these signs have been specifically designed to be easily recognizable.. and require little/no English reading/writing ability. The additional supplemental signs are of course not covered (a majority of these signs are designed for inattentive drivers, of course most inattentive drivers ignore these signs), as far as being able to read street names what's the worst thing that's going to happen if you are unable to read street signs? You'll get lost... this does not pose a safety issue, it's just annoying. So what is the real argument against allowing drivers tests to be given in non-English languages?

1- This is not a question of citizenship
2- People will generally drive if needed with or without a license. Given that certification and identification of all drivers is preferable to the alternative
3- I believe all insurance companies require proof of a valid drivers license (so there will be un-licensed, un-insured drivers running around).

I really feel that this issue is less about testing in non-English languages and more about restricting immigrants. Please think about this and tell me, who benefits from forcing English only testing? Other drivers don't (benefit from it), they increase the risk of un-licensed, un-insured drivers.

Last edited by bikertom; 04-29-2010 at 06:58 AM.
Old 04-29-2010, 04:22 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
I'm addressing the larger issue, "You need to be able to read the American signs."
Ya, I don't think that argument holds much value either. But I'm still of the opinion that if you intend to live in a country you should know it's official language.

Quote:
You are Canadian, Picard, how would you feel if your government told you that if you can't take the test in French, you don't get a license, as you may encounter french signs in parts of Canada.
I think that's a bit of a different sittuation, as Canada has two official languages. So tests come with both languages on them, and signs that are in predominantly French speaking areas include both English and French.

Anything that isn't the same, which there is in signage and law, is covered in the manual and tested.

Quote:
I say that's wrong, I think you can navigate just fine through Canada without knowing French.
Likely, as we're taught French from grade one till grade nine. Even so any sort of dynamic signage or digital displays on the road would be a problem for anyone who didn't have a basic knowledge of the language it is in.
Old 04-29-2010, 08:04 AM   #15 (permalink)

So French is to Canada as Spanish is to America(Except the nearest other country that speaks Spanish isn't 5000 miles away).

Now we are on the same page!
Old 04-29-2010, 09:04 AM   #16 (permalink)

I voted yes simply based on the fact that the no answer implies that not having the tests/signs available in other languages is equivalent to being racist. There are plenty of people of different cultures who can speak english just fine, the reason for having the signs in other languages is to accommodate laziness.
Old 04-29-2010, 10:07 AM   #17 (permalink)
2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer

I enjoyed Mark on the show! I saw him perform with Rob long ago (Rob would be another fun guest).
Old 04-29-2010, 10:35 AM   #18 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Since English is the main language of the country, if you want to live in it and participate to its life, you're supposed to learn it. English isnt a difficult language.

Learning it is a simple request in exchange for living in a country that pretty much allows people from all over the globe to live together as a unified community. Differentiating the languages would only accentuate the chaotic nature of the melting pot.

It's not racist. It's just a request for a common compromise: we all live in the same country, we have opted for a language, if you want to live there you have to learn it.
Old 04-29-2010, 11:49 AM   #19 (permalink)

Loved this show. Everybody was hilarious!
Old 04-29-2010, 12:09 PM   #20 (permalink)

I had met this chick at the Oklahoma Community College and get this... She's from Thailand. But for her to even get to America on Green Card... Apparently she had to know certain amount of English. I thought at first it was crazy. But it kinda makes sense. ya'know?