Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

Old 01-09-2008, 09:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
PARTY! SUPER PARTY!

646: Girl Power

"Stop. Sit down. Write your own joke."
(Online)   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 06:02 AM   #2 (permalink)

About the Hillary thing...

I heard on NPR yesterday that the woman who asked the "how do you do it" question has ties to the white house and even the clintons, organizing fundraisers for Bill when he was in office.
This woman also claimed that she was completely undecided before Hillary's answer, but the question was so obviously loaded in her favor.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 07:31 AM   #3 (permalink)

The woman also said she went on to vote for Obama, so do with that what you will. I don't think it was the crying that gave Clinton more of the female vote, I think it was all the "iron my shirts" bullshit that got women pissed about how she's being treated as a pussy first and a politician second.

I also heard some conjecture that Obama's win in Iowa got the whites really freaked out (even if it is subconsciously) because a lot of people thought he didn't have a chance. Now he has to be taken seriously as a candidate and some folks might be freaked.

There is also the fact that New Hampshire is a big libertarian "live free or die" state and Clinton is centrist and the most like a Republican, so she got more votes that way as well.

There are all kinds of reasons that people vote the way they do, it's far too simplistic to boil it down to the "crying" that wasn't even really crying. Fuck, her voice cracked. Maybe she's going through the change.

Did you see the Daily Show Tuesday night? They had a montage of male politicians crying, including one of Big Daddy Bush totally blubbering on the House floor, with some other douche putting his arm consolingly around his shoulder. Christ, nobody blinks an eye when they bawl like babies.

Last edited by Blitzgal; 01-10-2008 at 07:43 AM.
Old 01-10-2008, 07:49 AM   #4 (permalink)

Shedding a tear in a Corporate setting, no matter what the circumstances, will inevitably result in a significant loss of respect and confidence by your peers in your ability to lead that organization through difficult times. So if you’re vying to become one of (if not the) most powerful leader on the planet, I think it’s not too much to ask that you remain stoic and confident even if you’re in turmoil within.

Having said that, I believe her having shed some tears will win her some of the female vote that she didn’t already have. To what degree it lost her votes that she previously had obviously remains to be seen...

Twitter: https://twitter.com/mr_bithead
Old 01-10-2008, 07:51 AM   #5 (permalink)

About Hillary: yeah, what Blitzgal said. The negativity about her emotional outburst may become the standard definition for the word "backfire" in conservative playbooks for years to come ...

Quote:
Even younger women who would not support her on the sole basis that she's female were arguably rallied to her cause after the candidate's "emotional" display on Monday, finding themselves in her corner not because she cried, but because her candid moment was interpreted by some as proof women aren't tough enough to lead.
Quote:
Janna Ferguson, a 25-year-old Canadian doing her doctorate in political science at Rutgers University, worked on Ms. Clinton's New Hampshire campaign. She noticed a significant change of attitude toward Ms. Clinton among the young women she canvassed after the candidate famously teared up at the beginning of the week.

"I think, in a lot of ways, the rampant sexism with which she has been treated has been a galvanizing force not only for the older women, but for younger women as well," she said. "I think that was important - not the moment itself, but the response to it, in getting younger women to take another look at Hillary."
In other words, if you don't like her, this is the wrong thing to be picking on. You're poking a hornet's nest.
Old 01-10-2008, 08:04 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzgal View Post
Did you see the Daily Show Tuesday night? They had a montage of male politicians crying, including one of Big Daddy Bush totally blubbering on the House floor, with some other douche putting his arm consolingly around his shoulder. Christ, nobody blinks an eye when they bawl like babies.
Many believe Muskie lost NH primary in 72 because of a tear (defending his wife and French Canadians I might add) - he went to his grave saying it was a snowflake in is eye.

And yes the guys heckling her at the rallies was incredible in this day and age - would we have put up with people yelling " Shine my shoes!" to Obama?

That handpicked gathering of politically active women made for a sympathetic audience that just got to Hilary plain and simple.

If you've never worked in 'Public Service' you might not understand the bullshit public officials go through - Hillary's blow job affair with her husband might have made most people retire to Arizona and play golf. The dirty nasty political skulduggery that goes on is mind boggling and takes someone with an iron will. Yet even iron will sometimes crack under immense pressure.

The time for change she is referring to is the fact that the Bush reign has dragged the US reputation, economy etc into the mud. It might not be obvious to most Americans but viewed from outside the US has tanked BIG TIME. The trends set by Bush are disturbing to all those who value true freedoms and not the current patriotic bullshit hiding the corporate greed - look at Enron, Katrina, Iraq/Blackwater, sub prime etc etc etc.

It will take decades to restore the harm done to the US reputation at home and especially abroad.

Last edited by Tech007; 01-10-2008 at 08:09 AM.
Old 01-10-2008, 08:21 AM   #7 (permalink)

Yeah, that Muskie thing is the only example I can think of where it turned negative for a guy after crying. This Hillary thing reminds me of Howard Dean's "scream" and whatshisface riding in the tank. (Dukakis?) I can't believe the hysteria that follows such ridiculously small incidents and how they're able to tank someone's campaign. On the one hand I want to blame the American public for being so fucking shallow but on the other hand I know the media has a big deal of blame for fanning the flames.

You know, part of what got Bush elected in 2000 (ignoring the vote rigging going on, of course) was that people thought he was a likeable guy that they'd want to sit down and have a beer with. But in reality he's a dry drunk. So yeah, politics is a game not unlike the bullshit that goes on in Hollywood. It's all about image and very little about actual substance. Which is why we ended up with a raging alcoholic with his finger on the button.

Last edited by Blitzgal; 01-10-2008 at 08:24 AM.
Old 01-10-2008, 08:25 AM   #8 (permalink)

I love it when you talk about this seperate checks issue. People are so dopey about it and it's annoying. When I go out to dinner it's a test of how smart and cool you are.

I recently went out 5 friends to a japanese steak house. Three of us were on one side of the table, three were on the other. When the waitress asked if we wanted seperate checks I immeaditely barked out "Nah". Much to my surprise three of the people were like wait, yeah we do. So the married couple got one check, one girl got her own, then three of us were just like fuck it and put us all together. That night I knew who the three smartest people at the table were.
Old 01-10-2008, 09:24 AM   #9 (permalink)

Maybe I'm a heathen for having to look it up, but for anyone that wondered.

From the show about 18:20 in.

She goes for the christmas crap and she puts out candy canes, candles and goes "This is it Lord, THBHTHBHTHBHTHB, thank you, THBHTHBHTHBHTHBHT, Once a year, THBHTHBHTHBHTHB Deuteronomy 5:16"

Deuteronomy 5:16

Honor thy father and thy mother, as the LORD thy God hath commanded thee; that thy days may be prolonged, and that it may go well with thee, in the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee.
Old 01-10-2008, 11:50 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sajizzle View Post
Perfect cover to show she wasn't a plant.

Oh, please. Given the way that this sort of thing usually torpedoes a campaign, they would never have assumed that fake "crying" would somehow be a plus for her. I don't believe it.