Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: Re: Hooters waitress Cassie the Pig: Whose side are you on?
Hooters 101 64.33%
Cassie 56 35.67%
Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-21-2010, 11:06 AM   #71 (permalink)

why is it always star wars vs star trek. what about us poor star gate fans. (battlestar galactica dosnt count cos the stars in the middle.)
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 11:35 AM   #72 (permalink)

Star Gate sucks.
Old 05-21-2010, 11:39 AM   #73 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzgal View Post
The heroic quest long predates Tolkien. This isn't to discount your point, just to add that you can't even tie it back to LOTR -- even Tolkien was ripping off some major fictional tropes with his work.
Sure. Didnt Tolkien take his cues from the basic nordic mythology?

I was stressing that mostly because when the LOTR movies came out, i witnessed the hilarious Nerd Vs Nerd debate about how supposedly Jackson ripped Star Wars in the scene where gandalf dies in Moria. The whole relation between Luke and Obi Wan has the strcuture of "dorky hero and old wise paternal figure with unspecified powers" that was in LOTR. The death is also similar.

As a very indifferent man that likes to watch everything but doesnt really get passionate about specifics, it was interesting to see how the LOTR trilogy was basically named the new Star Wars saga and the fights that followed that.

I would say that lucas mentioned his LOTR love in an interview, but i'm not sure. Wouldnt be weird, since he's basically a greedy dork.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerous View Post
why is it always star wars vs star trek. what about us poor star gate fans. (battlestar galactica dosnt count cos the stars in the middle.)
Is Stargate the one where Kurt Russell travels through space and finds that aliens are egyptians with a a gay pharaoh? Meh.

If i have to go for star, i'll go for Starship Troopers. At least i had fun watching that.
Old 05-21-2010, 11:50 AM   #74 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkenstein View Post
Is Stargate the one where Kurt Russell travels through space and finds that aliens are egyptians with a a gay pharaoh? Meh.
There are several long running television programs based on the movie. One with MacGyver, and then Stargate Atlantis which is even dumber.
Old 05-21-2010, 12:08 PM   #75 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzgal View Post
There are several long running television programs based on the movie. One with MacGyver, and then Stargate Atlantis which is even dumber.
did you give stargate universe a try? they decided to go more dramatic and get proper actors so it has more of a lost feel.
Old 05-21-2010, 12:13 PM   #76 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

The movie looked like Emmerich was trying to do a BIG SPACE EPIC but ended up mostly using stuff already overused.

The series had a better cast, but was still no Battlestar (which BTW, after the first 2 seasons became interesting as watching paint dry)
Old 05-21-2010, 12:28 PM   #77 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerous View Post
did you give stargate universe a try? they decided to go more dramatic and get proper actors so it has more of a lost feel.

That doesn't sell me too much. I've watched all of Lost but now it's mostly because I feel obligated to know what the fuck is going on. It meandered so pointlessly through the middle seasons that it never really got me back on board even when they started trying harder in the last season. And now that it looks like it's all boiling down to your basic good vs evil crapfest I feel like I should've just re-read Good Omens instead, because at least that was funny.

I have a similar "disease" that Keith does, but for me it's having to watch all sci fi knowing that the majority of it is badly written hackery that is sheer torture to watch.
Old 05-21-2010, 12:30 PM   #78 (permalink)

Quote:
The series had a better cast, but was still no Battlestar (which BTW, after the first 2 seasons became interesting as watching paint dry)

Agreed! Another series that started so strong and then completely fell off the cliff. Way too much filler side-plot shit for a series that has shorter seasons and so should not have to rely on filler like the 22 episode network series all seem to.
Old 05-21-2010, 01:43 PM   #79 (permalink)

Ah, I still like the original Star Wars movie. Yeah, some of it is seeing it when I was a kid. But it's so...self contained. I can still watch it. I can actually watch all of them, sometimes shaking my head in disgust.

I think at one point Natalie Portman could act, but it seems like working with Lucas ruined her.

I mean, holy crap he can write some horrible dialogue. Which is why Obi Wan, all movies, is such a surprise. Maybe it was just two great actors pulling it off, but I think that's one underrated motherfucker. I think he was 3 steps ahead of Yoda, but didn't want the old dude to look silly.

I like the Trek too, can get into some of the Gate. Didn't have the ability to watch the Battle, but for all time Sci Fi bad acting space opera cheese, nothing beats Babylon 5.

Holy God I watched it all, cos I needed a sci fi fix and had too much time on my hands.

Side Noting: Yes, Tolkein lifted much from the Norse Prose and Poetic Eddas, right down to just about every dwarf name and Gandalf, the wand elf.
Old 05-21-2010, 02:23 PM   #80 (permalink)

Quote:
Dude. It's Kurt Russel IN SPACE!