Keith and The Girl Forums

Keith and The Girl Forums (https://www.keithandthegirl.com/forums/)
-   Show Talk (https://www.keithandthegirl.com/forums/f5/)
-   -   1183: Model Citizen (https://www.keithandthegirl.com/forums/f5/1183-model-citizen-15102/)

DWarrior 05-20-2010 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottperezfox (Post 648769)
Cassie may only weigh in at 132, but she doesn't appear to be very fit. I think a gym membership would do her well, even if she remains at her present 132. A healthy, toned person will always be more attractive than a scrappy, skinny counterpart, even if he/she tips the scales at a heavier number.

But the whole thing is absurd because of the size of the Hooters owner. Talk about bad press.

What the fuck does the dude have to do with it? He's not the one bringing me wings in a tight outfit. If anything, at least he delivers on the hooters, unlike the chick.

Blitzgal 05-20-2010 01:24 PM

I caught all the Star Wars references because I am a big geek.

And of course I have cats. Sophie and Mose. Sophie is twelve so she won't be very good in a cage match but Mose is 15 pounds and has all his claws so he's up for it.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._4250621_n.jpg

I want a dog when I'm in a house and not an apartment.

thepetek 05-20-2010 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marina (Post 648812)
What if we make our actual cats fight? And don't pretend like you don't have one. All feminists have cats. ;)

See, Blitz, there are differences between feminists. Some feminists are not Mexican and some want small animals to fight to the death to amuse us.

No! No Marina! Just cos there are cock fights doesn't mean there have to be pussy fights.

I
Quote:

Originally Posted by marina (Post 648812)
have no idea who the sith are, but I approve.

I'm gonna put my cowboy boots up on the table and chuckle. (note to self: buy cowboy boots)

You're one of the most respected/anticipated posters on the Weird Pics from the Internet v2.1 thread. You know the Sith.

Oh, I'm wrong?

Would Blitzgal ever approve something without at least googling it?

You're showing your hand Darth Maulrina.

marina 05-20-2010 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blitzgal (Post 648821)
I caught all the Star Wars references because I am a big geek.

And of course I have cats. Sophie and Mose. Sophie is twelve so she won't be very good in a cage match but Mose is 15 pounds and has all his claws so he's up for it.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._4250621_n.jpg

I want a dog when I'm in a house and not an apartment.

Our cat is little :
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2786/...2f44b4901d.jpg

And she mostly cares about sleeping:
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4062/...f368eb0023.jpg
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4062/...2bc06b97f1.jpg

But she's fast:
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4042/...ee03120507.jpg

And vicious:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2759/...f95cd1f469.jpg

Also incredibly soft.

I wanted a dog too. I still want a dog. Dr. BF and I are also planning on getting a dog as soon as we move into a house.

Blitzgal 05-20-2010 01:59 PM

Mose is totally gonna win.

marina 05-20-2010 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thepetek (Post 648823)
You're showing your hand Darth Maulrina.

/choke

Junkenstein 05-20-2010 02:03 PM

Oh girls. You act all badass and then post pics of your KITTENS?

I rest my case.

thepetek 05-20-2010 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Junkenstein (Post 648818)
Nerd stuff.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrianAlt (Post 648819)
What he said.

Imma Continental Op you here and point out that if you didn't know, you wouldn't have commented. You knew what a Sith was, but did you believe Marina didn't?

Aw, c'mon, you guys aren't all gobsmacked about remembering we could double quote are ya?

I'm gonna start walking away, maybe light a cigarette. Take a puff.

Aaaah, Junkenstein. Just one more thing. (I'm holding my cigarette to the side of my forehead, also, one of my eyes seems to be made of glass and is askew.)

You ahhh, seemed to have a pretty good knowledge of the works of Harrison Ford in the Science Fiction Milieu, yet have no knowledge of Star Wars?

Bahh, What...eeeeh, were you doing in 1976?

Anyway, you and Brian either own lightsabers or don't--but because they aren't 'real' enough.

Long/Short little jealous that you two and Marina (at least) have a Star Wars club and I never even got to be a page. Fine Padu Pada Pade.

Fine, I'm gonna go put on a red shirt and join that other

It's a trap. Khan!

Junkenstein 05-20-2010 02:15 PM

Let me say it once and spell it out:

I. HATE. STAR WARS:

I've seen them all because they look pretty when you're high or you'rea kid (much like avatar).

But i found them all retarded, juvenile and badly done. they're like the special ed kid of pop culture. People smile and know 'em but genrally know they're an abomination.

And, yeah Star Trek's even worse. It's the gay special ed kid.

BrianAlt 05-20-2010 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thepetek (Post 648833)
Imma Continental Op you here and point out that if you didn't know, you wouldn't have commented.

Huh?
Quote:

You knew what a Sith was, but did you believe Marina didn't?
Yeah, figured she did.
Quote:

Aw, c'mon, you guys aren't all gobsmacked about remembering we could double quote are ya?
Huh?
Quote:

I'm gonna start walking away, maybe light a cigarette. Take a puff.
Good idea.
Quote:

Bahh, What...eeeeh, were you doing in 1976?
I was almost 10 in the Summer of '76 and I was watching Star Wars in an unbelievably packed theater and I sat on the arm of the seat and up against the wall so my 4.5' person could even see the screen.
Quote:

Anyway, you and Brian either own lightsabers or don't--but because they aren't 'real' enough.
No, but my son does. Does that count?
Quote:

Long/Short little jealous that you two and Marina (at least) have a Star Wars club and I never even got to be a page. Fine Padu Pada Pade.
Ok, you can join.
Quote:

Fine, I'm gonna go put on a red shirt and join that other
Ok, at least it'll get you your SAG card.
Quote:

It's a trap. Khan!
Yes.

thepetek 05-20-2010 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Junkenstein (Post 648836)
I. HATE. STAR WARS:

You sonofabitchen robot.The first one even? Come on.

I'm gonna cry a little, but I will shoot first.

(because I was born in America, duh.)

Blitzgal 05-20-2010 02:51 PM

Quote:

Let me say it once and spell it out:

I. HATE. STAR WARS:

I've seen them all because they look pretty when you're high or you'rea kid (much like avatar).

My nostalgia for the original trilogy is definitely from childhood. The acting is beyond hammy, the special effects aren't great, and Lucas cannot write a romance or decent dialogue to save his life. But did I squee like a little girl in the last moments of the last film when that helmet gets lowered towards the camera and we see from Vader's perspective? Why yes, yes I did.

Keith, due to "popular demand" KFC is extending the sale of the Double Down through the rest of the summer. I think I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.

Junkenstein 05-20-2010 02:57 PM

I dont hate the first one, i have two reviews for it:

Me at age 5, looking STar Wars on the "Big TV" of the house. I sit on my mother knees and use two pens to shoot and go pew pew when the x wings. My father groan this is BULLSHIT. But i like the starships, R2D2, Chewbacca. i fall asleep dreaming

Me at age 20: Jesus fuckin christ what a borefest, gimmie The Matrix. That's a good movie.

Me now: Well, it defnitely looks good and it has some great moments that look great but on the whole the cheesiness is more than the coolness. But if i could catch a BR copy of the empire strikes back... Hmmm Why Not.

DWarrior 05-20-2010 04:03 PM

I didn't see Star Wars as a kid, when I saw it later (17+ or so), I didn't really care for it. And the starwards nerds ruin whatever appeal it might have to me as a nerd.

standardman 05-20-2010 04:13 PM

I don't like Star Wars, against type. Lucas was a great technician at some point but he lost it and he was never a good filmmaker.

Forbin 05-20-2010 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by standardman (Post 648862)
I don't like Star Wars, against type. Lucas was a great technician at some point but he lost it and he was never a good filmmaker.

No way, I can't agree with that. The original Star Wars, Episode 4, whatever you want to call it was a ground breaking movie. Admittedly, it may not stand up for a modern audience as things have moved on but I feel we have to respect Lucas for creating a whole genre of cinema.

Also, Raiders is a good movie I think and that one does hold up.

BTW, sorry for jumping ship on you back there Standardman.

standardman 05-20-2010 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Forbin (Post 648871)
No way, I can't agree with that. The original Star Wars, Episode 4, whatever you want to call it was a ground breaking movie. Admittedly, it may not stand up for a modern audience as things have moved on but I feel we have to respect Lucas for creating a whole genre of cinema.

Also, Raiders is a good movie I think and that one does hold up.

BTW, sorry for jumping ship on you back there Standardman.

Like I said, a great technician and important for cinema. But his directing and writing? Godfuckingawful. As a rule, the less involved with Star Wars he is, the better it is.

Raiders is great but Lucas didn't direct it.

Don't worry about it, I wasn't expecting or after any support from the show/community and it doesn't really matter what people who don't know me or Maddie think of myself and Maddie. Just needed to actually talk to Maddie and try and make things more...cordial. It was a little drastic but it kind of needed to be.

spooky 05-20-2010 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thepetek (Post 648780)
The red wheelbarrow is an absolute shit poem that means absolutely shit until you hear the (supposed) backstory and you get it. This country doctor looking out the window for a brief moment while trying to save a dying girl.

It's apparent garbage with so much subtext.

It's shite and if you believe understanding it changes anything, you are a faker and a snob! Snobby McSnoberson! I have a little saying, what goes up must fall on it's face because of gravity. So get your snobby nose out of the sky before the Earth beats your face! Bam!

Nah, I'm kidding. I added you to my sig, though, for the sake of posterity. You make me laugh, sir, thank you.

*edited to add: That poem seemed dumb, then I read your explanation, and now I think it's hilarious.

Quote:

And, yeah Star Trek's even worse. It's the gay special ed kid.

HA!

Just curious, how did you feel about the new Star Trek? I always loved the Shat, but never cared for the rest, the new JJ Abrahms Star Trek, though, I admit to liking quite a bit.

Forbin 05-20-2010 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by standardman (Post 648872)

Don't worry about it, I wasn't expecting or after any support from the show/community and it doesn't really matter what people who don't know me or Maddie think of myself and Maddie. Just needed to actually talk to Maddie and try and make things more...cordial. It was a little drastic but it kind of needed to be.

Sorry man, I was actually talking about the fact that I logged out of chat in the middle of our conversation.

I hope you didn't think that I was criticizing you over the thing with Maddie. My intention was certainly not to make you feel bad. I was trying to be supportive, believe it or not. At the risk of poking my nose in where it's not wanted. My advice is to just give it some time.

standardman 05-20-2010 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Forbin (Post 648874)
Sorry man, I was actually talking about the fact that I logged out of chat in the middle of our conversation.

I hope you didn't think that I was criticizing you over the thing with Maddie. My intention was certainly not to make you feel bad. I was trying to be supportive, believe it or not. At the risk of poking my nose in where it's not wanted. My advice is to just give it some time.

Haha, I see! That's fine, I don't want to get between a man and his nurse.

I'm not going to talk about me and Maddie too much but we're trying being twitter friends.

standardman 05-20-2010 06:27 PM

As for the new Star Trek, Abrams basically remade Star Wars. It was ok but i'm not a fan of the man.

picard102 05-20-2010 09:53 PM

A sci-fi conversation without me?

The Star Wars movies blow, hard. Tried to get my roommate to watch one last night and she couldn't stay awake. I found it fairly boring as well, and wouldn't have watched it if it was not for her having never seen a single one.

The Star Wars games and cartoon, aces 10. Dialogue that makes sense helps a ton I think.

Star Trek is high brow Star Wars, much more tolerable writing. On the flip side their games and cartoons are fairly awful, and quite a few of the series blew as well; Voyager, Enterprise.

The new Trek movie is devoid of anything that was Star Trek. I enjoyed it, but it was enjoyable as a movie and not as Star Trek.

brianward81 05-20-2010 10:35 PM

I find it funny that you can "donate" plasma for money. I give blood and have given plasma a few times but they only payment is some cookies, crackers, cheese, chocolate bar and a cuppa tea. I'm guessing the donation rate is so low that they need to entice people with money to sell their plasma.

When I got plasma done the nurse told me the exact same thing about the plasma being milky white after eating shite like KFC. That really turned me off that shit. She also said that alcohol gives you super powers so that is why I still drink.

spooky 05-21-2010 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brianward81 (Post 648925)
I find it funny that you can "donate" plasma for money.

I don't think you can in most places, now. The World Health Organization issued some report that more or less said that if you pay for blood, you get diseased and poor quality crap that causes more trouble than it is worth. I believe(after a quick google search) Australia now considers it the same as selling body parts, big time illegal.

Maybe 10 years ago you could, but it's gone now, or on it's way out the door.

spooky 05-21-2010 02:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rufio (Post 648939)
It's absolutely still legal in the states, I'm in college and I know tons of friends that go into the plasma donation center twice a week to donate plasma for some extra spending money

Yeah, I'm sure it is, probably only in low risk population areas. In NYC, though, it's illegal. Enjoy it while it lasts.

I gave plasma once, after years of regular whole blood donation.

It was gross and populated by homeless people, and Jimmy had to remove his pants during his preliminary medical exam, something the rest of us who went did not have to do. The whole thing seemed shady, nevermind the blood machines being reused with no apparent internal cleaning between donations. I'm 100% positive it was all on the up and up, but my spoiled ass would prefer to see disposable equipment.

So I never donated again.

Also, the time it takes to donate, including waiting room time, you wind up making like $7 an hour.

Junkenstein 05-21-2010 03:04 AM

Donating plasma is very regulated in Italy. We never got money out of it. Also, much less people can do it lately, since your health is severely checked out before every donation.

I used to be a frequent donor, not out of generesity, mostly because it helped me feel physiclly refreshed, i dont know if there is a scientific explanation for it.

Then i started drinking heavily and using drugs (legal and illegal) so i was put on a sort of blacklist. My father had the same problem, because of the drinking.

But no one ever got a dime out of it. And it's weird in a country where pčeople would sell their children's organs for a few bucks (actual news, no joke).

lizsquiz 05-21-2010 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Junkenstein (Post 648941)
Donating plasma is very regulated in Italy. We never got money out of it. Also, much less people can do it lately, since your health is severely checked out before every donation.

But no one ever got a dime out of it. And it's weird in a country where pčeople would sell their children's organs for a few bucks (actual news, no joke).

It's the same in Australia. You don't get paid for donating anything - sort of why it's a DONATION.

e.g. in the US you can get paid as a sperm donor and as a plasma donor. A friend of mine basically paid his rent at college donating plasma and sperm. In Australia you can't be paid for that stuff.

And even if you want to donate it there's a super enormous questionnaire to complete. Like obviously I don't know what the sperm questionnaire is like, but the plasma and blood one includes everything from have you taken any paracetamol in the last two weeks to when was the last time you ate semi-sundried tomatoes from a deli (not in a jar)

lizsquiz 05-21-2010 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by picard102 (Post 648919)
A sci-fi conversation without me?

The Star Wars movies blow, hard. k.

WHAT?!?!

The NEW ones suck balls. Majorly.

But the old ones are brilliant. Maybe I'm unduly sentimental because I grew up with them. But there was nothing like them and there's been nothing like them since in terms of story and cinematography and yada yada yada.

I think there's a special magic in the old ones just for the scale of them. With the new ones, all the crowds are CGI. All the landscapes are computer and it just doesn't feel real. Give me a tall dude in a furry suit any day rather than a character honed for years by computer engineers.

Junkenstein 05-21-2010 10:25 AM

Are you sure that the special magic isnyt made up because you were young and gullible when you saw them?

Yes, they were nice and ahead of the times for the FX. But the whole thing is quite sad oif you watch them with a cool head.

"Empire..." is the only one of all six that really stands.

The first one is slow, badly put together and only Harrison Ford is a really cool character in it. Even Darth Vader is more cool in thory than in practice. He's a very generic sum of any bad guy from comic books but with a nice outfit.

The rest is basically a msh mash of different things: LOTR (the books), swordfighting movies, action stuff from the golden age, war movies from the 30's (Just put the nazis instead of the empire and you have it), a bit of new age philosophy and a loooooooooot of comic books.

It's pleasant stuff, but as movies (again, excluding Empire...) they're very mediocre. Mostly because Lucas is one of the most mediocre movie people on the planet.

Blitzgal 05-21-2010 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Junkenstein (Post 648989)
The rest is basically a msh mash of different things: LOTR (the books), swordfighting movies, action stuff from the golden age, war movies from the 30's (Just put the nazis instead of the empire and you have it), a bit of new age philosophy and a loooooooooot of comic books.

The heroic quest long predates Tolkien. This isn't to discount your point, just to add that you can't even tie it back to LOTR -- even Tolkien was ripping off some major fictional tropes with his work.

dangerous 05-21-2010 11:06 AM

why is it always star wars vs star trek. what about us poor star gate fans. (battlestar galactica dosnt count cos the stars in the middle.)

Blitzgal 05-21-2010 11:35 AM

Star Gate sucks.

Junkenstein 05-21-2010 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blitzgal (Post 648996)
The heroic quest long predates Tolkien. This isn't to discount your point, just to add that you can't even tie it back to LOTR -- even Tolkien was ripping off some major fictional tropes with his work.

Sure. Didnt Tolkien take his cues from the basic nordic mythology?

I was stressing that mostly because when the LOTR movies came out, i witnessed the hilarious Nerd Vs Nerd debate about how supposedly Jackson ripped Star Wars in the scene where gandalf dies in Moria. The whole relation between Luke and Obi Wan has the strcuture of "dorky hero and old wise paternal figure with unspecified powers" that was in LOTR. The death is also similar.

As a very indifferent man that likes to watch everything but doesnt really get passionate about specifics, it was interesting to see how the LOTR trilogy was basically named the new Star Wars saga and the fights that followed that.

I would say that lucas mentioned his LOTR love in an interview, but i'm not sure. Wouldnt be weird, since he's basically a greedy dork.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dangerous (Post 648998)
why is it always star wars vs star trek. what about us poor star gate fans. (battlestar galactica dosnt count cos the stars in the middle.)

Is Stargate the one where Kurt Russell travels through space and finds that aliens are egyptians with a a gay pharaoh? Meh.

If i have to go for star, i'll go for Starship Troopers. At least i had fun watching that.

Blitzgal 05-21-2010 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Junkenstein (Post 649005)
Is Stargate the one where Kurt Russell travels through space and finds that aliens are egyptians with a a gay pharaoh? Meh.

There are several long running television programs based on the movie. One with MacGyver, and then Stargate Atlantis which is even dumber.

dangerous 05-21-2010 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blitzgal (Post 649006)
There are several long running television programs based on the movie. One with MacGyver, and then Stargate Atlantis which is even dumber.

did you give stargate universe a try? they decided to go more dramatic and get proper actors so it has more of a lost feel.

Junkenstein 05-21-2010 12:13 PM

The movie looked like Emmerich was trying to do a BIG SPACE EPIC but ended up mostly using stuff already overused.

The series had a better cast, but was still no Battlestar (which BTW, after the first 2 seasons became interesting as watching paint dry)

Blitzgal 05-21-2010 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dangerous (Post 649008)
did you give stargate universe a try? they decided to go more dramatic and get proper actors so it has more of a lost feel.

That doesn't sell me too much. I've watched all of Lost but now it's mostly because I feel obligated to know what the fuck is going on. It meandered so pointlessly through the middle seasons that it never really got me back on board even when they started trying harder in the last season. And now that it looks like it's all boiling down to your basic good vs evil crapfest I feel like I should've just re-read Good Omens instead, because at least that was funny.

I have a similar "disease" that Keith does, but for me it's having to watch all sci fi knowing that the majority of it is badly written hackery that is sheer torture to watch.

Blitzgal 05-21-2010 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Junkenstein (Post 649010)
The series had a better cast, but was still no Battlestar (which BTW, after the first 2 seasons became interesting as watching paint dry)

Agreed! Another series that started so strong and then completely fell off the cliff. Way too much filler side-plot shit for a series that has shorter seasons and so should not have to rely on filler like the 22 episode network series all seem to.

thepetek 05-21-2010 01:43 PM

Ah, I still like the original Star Wars movie. Yeah, some of it is seeing it when I was a kid. But it's so...self contained. I can still watch it. I can actually watch all of them, sometimes shaking my head in disgust.

I think at one point Natalie Portman could act, but it seems like working with Lucas ruined her.

I mean, holy crap he can write some horrible dialogue. Which is why Obi Wan, all movies, is such a surprise. Maybe it was just two great actors pulling it off, but I think that's one underrated motherfucker. I think he was 3 steps ahead of Yoda, but didn't want the old dude to look silly.

I like the Trek too, can get into some of the Gate. Didn't have the ability to watch the Battle, but for all time Sci Fi bad acting space opera cheese, nothing beats Babylon 5.

Holy God I watched it all, cos I needed a sci fi fix and had too much time on my hands.

Side Noting: Yes, Tolkein lifted much from the Norse Prose and Poetic Eddas, right down to just about every dwarf name and Gandalf, the wand elf.

standardman 05-21-2010 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Junkenstein (Post 649005)

Dude. It's Kurt Russel IN SPACE!