Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: eBay
Yay 72 38.10%
Nay 117 61.90%
Voters: 189. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-24-2010, 12:50 AM   #31 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Is it a coincidence that spooky loves the way people interact on eBay, and he's one of the biggest internet assholes I know?
Is this a skit?

FTR, my view:
The communication aspect of eBay is a hassle(as is the shipping), but it's no big deal if you are just clear with descriptions. Dealing with people all over the world speaking many languages, you just have to be concise and thorough. If something is missing something, no matter how minor, say so. If it's used, even a little, say so. Like new isn't the same thing as new. If you have a question, ask before you bid. Feedback protects everybody. Big hassle, nothing to enjoy there, but I can't think of a better way to do it. It's business, there's nothing to love.

Nothing to hate on, either. Unless it's funny, I suppose.
To be fair, to really follow Spooky's diet, you can't just eat chicken. You have to spend your days cleaning up after a slob roommate and night shivering like a rain soaked rage filled chihuahua about having to clean up after said roommate until you finally snap and yell at him. It should be called the Mexican maid diet.

Last edited by spooky; 05-24-2010 at 01:07 AM.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 12:56 AM   #32 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZHippo View Post
And finally fuck Madagascar I didn't know where it was and don't care, I saw that documentary all the animals talk and sing catchy songs how fucking annoying would that be.
Were you aware of Madagascar before the cartoon?

I guess I find it hard to believe so many people didn't know Madagascar after being inundated with more than two decades of specials on Discovery Channel and Animal Planet. Or all that coverage in middle and high school when talking about evolution and the Galapagos(and yeah, I know lots of americans don't believe in evolution, but it's not THAT many!) I am thinking now that maybe people know all about it, just couldn't find it on a map...

The whole thing seems so very strange to me, and it's not just the typical "Ugly Americans" the world loves so much who are responding negatively.
Old 05-24-2010, 02:15 AM   #33 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spooky View Post
Is this a skit?

FTR, my view:
The communication aspect of eBay is a hassle(as is the shipping), but it's no big deal if you are just clear with descriptions. Dealing with people all over the world speaking many languages, you just have to be concise and thorough. If something is missing something, no matter how minor, say so. If it's used, even a little, say so. Like new isn't the same thing as new. If you have a question, ask before you bid. Feedback protects everybody. Big hassle, nothing to enjoy there, but I can't think of a better way to do it. It's business, there's nothing to love.

Nothing to hate on, either. Unless it's funny, I suppose.
It's largely unregulated business, where people feel free to turn trnsaction in to a never endinh haggling like you were in the street of a Middle Eastern Country.

Either if you buy OR sell, you'll meet people that complain about the speed of your shipping, that do not pay what they're supposed to, that give negative feedback out of nastiness, that get the money and never pay (or viceversa), that have the weirdest rules in comunication (read: dont answer unless you threaten them), and so on...

I've been buying and selling stuff, even handling money onn the internet for more than 10 years, and i never ever had a single issue that wasnt on ebay. Even complaining after a transaction gone bad didnt solve anything. Of course I was naive, it was MY fault. Sure.

Fact is, to use a silly metaphor: where all the net stores are the normal business stores, ebay is the shady dock market. Yeah, of course there you get bargains if you can handle the problems. But that does NOT make it right. Case closed.
Old 05-24-2010, 02:44 AM   #34 (permalink)

I never had any trouble, Junkenstein, and I've had 100% positive feedback for over ten years on my eBay account, which I use maybe 25 times a year on average.

Well, one time eBay deleted an auction I had for an iPod video because it had Family Guy on the screen when I took a picture, which is apparently a copyright violation. I just wanted to show it was working. So I guess I had one problem one time. Relisted with a different pic and it was fine.

That's hardly rant worthy, though.

It's just hard to take Keith's side and believe that it's all asshats all the time when I've never once experienced anything negative. Apparently that makes me the asshole, I just don't get why.
Old 05-24-2010, 03:08 AM   #35 (permalink)

That doesnt make you an asshole to me (maybe your being a Star wars fan does, but that's another issue...). But it makes you a lucky person or an exception.

I'll explain with an example: the train system in Italy has been privatized years ago. Since then it's a mess. Broken trains. An unbeliavably high rate of accidents. Constant strikes of the workers. Delays or cancellations almost everyday.

When the issue is talked about on the corporation controlled media (and i dont mean it in a conspiracy way, i mean that our prime minister has a big share of the company) the interviewees always are happy travelers that say: "I never had a proble with trains in ten years of traveling".

Not saying that they're paid. They're an exception that doesnt make the evident problem go away. Same thing with ebay and anyone who says that it has always worked for them.

I'm not trying to fight or argue, i'm just trying to clear my point, of course.
Old 05-24-2010, 06:41 AM   #36 (permalink)

I've had tons of trouble as a buyer and a seller on eBay. I've paid for auctions only to have the item never appear and the seller's account mysteriously go AWOL. I've had buyers give me shit about not wanting the item after they won the auction.

I prefer Half.com a hell of a lot better. There is zero interaction between buyer and seller unless you have a question to post on the site before you buy the item. You pay with a credit card through Half.com and not directly to the seller. The site was purchased by eBay years ago but that hasn't changed my experience with it.
Old 05-24-2010, 07:19 AM   #37 (permalink)

Do you guys use the feedback system on eBay?

I avoid those crazy people in foreign countries with 1000 auctions up at any given time. I never do business with new users, and if you aren't 100% positive, I probably won't do business, either buying or selling. If you aren't 100%, I check the auction you got a negative feedback on to see if you fucked up or if it was just a dumb ass buyer(it's one click away, after all). If there's any reason at all to have misgivings, I will just buy from someone else. All the assholes on eBay are clearly labeled.

I feel like all the information on reputation is there for you, and so accessible a monkey could do it. If you are doing business with reputable people, I don't see them suddenly abandoning a ten year old eBay account with 1000+ positive feedbacks to scam a quick $30 on a used sweater.

I do feel for you guys if it really is as much trouble for you and you are actually paying attention to who you do business with, but being a regular long time user, I do have to wonder if it's you or if it's them. For example, given the profile's feedback, would you buy or accept bids from KATG's eBay account(assuming you didn't know who they were)? Perhaps you need to raise the bar in terms of who you are willing to do business with on the site?
Old 05-24-2010, 07:39 AM   #38 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

I loved how Chemda is like, "no, no, *sigh*," when Keith is making the phone call. But as soon as it connects, BAM, she jumps into character.
Old 05-24-2010, 08:00 AM   #39 (permalink)

The feedback system helps but at least two of the people i scammed had positive feedback at a 98% rate and a lot of votes.

Plus, according to Keith, he gets negative feedback, sometimes unjustly.

I might be mistaken but the feedback percentage is as trustworthy as the votes on imdb.
Old 05-24-2010, 08:34 AM   #40 (permalink)
24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumbleNarrator View Post
Kyle plays some kind of modern, toked-up hipster straight man to John's hyper-homeless-person mania
No, I think the only reason Kyle has been on all of John's shows is that Kyle serves as John's laugh track. Just like network TV's laugh tracks, it's a little too loud and a little too emphatic to match the level of jokes. And just like network TV's laugh tracks, it's really very distracting.

I'm not saying you're faking the laughs, Kyle, but maybe lean away from the mike when you start hooting and guffawing.

On a related note, how does Keith find John funny and yet despise Robin Williams? They're the exact same person! The ratio of genuine funny to actual words spoken is WAY down there.