Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: Will you participate in KATG Day this Sunday (July 4th)?
Yes 108 53.20%
No 95 46.80%
Voters: 203. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-04-2010, 05:28 AM   #21 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
I humbly disagree. I don't think it's important to note at all.
I didn't feel that the videos gave justice to the complexity of the problem, since most of the visual explanations involve spheres and tori in 3d, where it's really their 4d analogs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zomniac View Post
DWarrior, you'll like this. I was trying very hard to explain why this conjecture is important to my brother when a simpler exlplanation hit me. This conjecture has applications in defining the shape of the universe, correct?

Well, I explained to him that it was like giving directions to a store three blocks away when the person that you are giving the directions to (and possibly you) has/have no idea what the definition of a block is.

This conjecture is one step (maybe small, maybe huge) to defining the shape of the universe and giving us the ability to travel in it.

Simple, no? Or maybe my hypothetical is way off base, I'm not sure.
Sounds right as far as my undergrad understanding of it is concerned.

The other cool (to some) result of differential geometry/topology is that spaces have intrinsic properties that are independent of the dimension of the space they reside in. That means if our universe is 3-dimensional (or 4, or 21), we can think of it curving and measure how it curves without needing to know what's "beyond" it, so we can think about our universe without needing to know the dimension of the hyperspace it's in (since we have no way of going outside our universe) which makes things easier.

Last edited by DWarrior; 07-04-2010 at 05:44 AM.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 06:15 AM   #22 (permalink)

80s movies are the greatest! 2 and a half ghost racing drivers... mint

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tlt05VbspAQ

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by Peet; 07-04-2010 at 06:17 AM.
Old 07-04-2010, 07:07 AM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayroob View Post
Active participation in a show you don't like is some shit I will never be able to get my mind around.
i voted no in all seriousness and love the show.
Old 07-04-2010, 07:13 AM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayroob View Post
Because getting a pin or a sticker would be soooo terrible.

Might give you cancer.

Scratch that, will give you cancer.

I understand and apologize.
sorry i haven't gotten a sticker, but i don't have the money, yes even for a "free" sticker, i live out of my car and any penny that doesn't go to food goes to gas. i have my ipod and i use the wifi of local macdonalds to listen to katg
Old 07-04-2010, 08:16 AM   #25 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWarrior View Post
The other cool (to some) result of differential geometry/topology is that spaces have intrinsic properties that are independent of the dimension of the space they reside in. That means if our universe is 3-dimensional (or 4, or 21), we can think of it curving and measure how it curves without needing to know what's "beyond" it, so we can think about our universe without needing to know the dimension of the hyperspace it's in (since we have no way of going outside our universe) which makes things easier.
True, but we may, someday, be able to define that hyper-space, and the hyper-space containing that hyper-space, ad infinitum. I doubt very highly we will ever get to a point where we will definitively say, we have discovered the meta-space that contains it all.

Just saying.
Old 07-04-2010, 08:30 AM   #26 (permalink)
24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWarrior View Post
He doesn't have his shit together, but he is a genius.
He's a genius the way Rain Man is a genius. Which is to say: he can do that one thing, but so what?

Quote:
And, by accepting the money, and possibly donating it, etc. he would be buying into that, and I'm sure the man only wishes to continue to live with his mother and solve maths.
If he's not furthering math to make the world a better place, it's simply mental masturbation.

He could've taken the money and quietly donated it to any of a thousand charities--even some kind of math camp for inner city kids--and it would have changed his situation not one iota while making the world better.
Old 07-04-2010, 09:27 AM   #27 (permalink)

"meta" and "hyper" have become too vague... It's simply used to describe something that we don't understand in a terminology that sounds like it means something. Much is from Science Fiction novels and, while they may inform true science, their genius still lies in fiction.

Much of this fiction is wildly aspirational and, in the modern world, we can only hope for experimental results that confound us and ask more questions than they answer

Quote:
True, but we may, someday, be able to define that hyper-space, and the hyper-space containing that hyper-space, ad infinitum. I doubt very highly we will ever get to a point where we will definitively say, we have discovered the meta-space that contains it all.

Just saying.
Old 07-04-2010, 09:40 AM   #28 (permalink)

I will not be celebrating a god damn thing today, because like Keith I have opinions. One such is I fail to understand the point to holidays. With out breaking down my reasons I do not celebrate them half of the time. I may follow a few routines but that's about it. I love the country for what it means and such (USA!) but I think glancing at fire works on my way to work last night at 10pm and later today playing Hulk Hogan's WCW/TNA theme did/does just fine.

Besides I talk about KATG to everyone; almost daily. Eventually I will get a T-Shirt but I can't yet. Here comes the insults...lol

Ah Jeez.
Medium Brumski: The only reason we have the 2nd Amendment is because John Adams was afraid of the zombie apocalypse and he wanted to make sure Americans would be prepared, I guess Keith hasn't gotten to that part of the mini-series yet.

Sparrow:...Brings up her point? What point?! Are we naht suckin' ya cahk hahd enough, Sue?!?

Keith: Oh, you...
Old 07-04-2010, 10:20 AM   #29 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peet View Post
"meta" and "hyper" have become too vague... It's simply used to describe something that we don't understand in a terminology that sounds like it means something. Much is from Science Fiction novels and, while they may inform true science, their genius still lies in fiction.

Much of this fiction is wildly aspirational and, in the modern world, we can only hope for experimental results that confound us and ask more questions than they answer
In my context, hyper means "above," and meta means "ultimate," I was just using their actual definitions. The idea that those terms have become vague does not detract from my statement... in context.
Old 07-04-2010, 10:23 AM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd View Post
He's a genius the way Rain Man is a genius. Which is to say: he can do that one thing, but so what?

If he's not furthering math to make the world a better place, it's simply mental masturbation.

He could've taken the money and quietly donated it to any of a thousand charities--even some kind of math camp for inner city kids--and it would have changed his situation not one iota while making the world better.
But he has furthered math. Your assumption would be if he solved what he did and didn't let anyone know. He obviously let someone know, thus defeating your "mental masturbation" assumption.

You cannot quietly donate anything these days, especially something that high profile. We heard about him turning it down, don't you think we would have heard about him donating it.

You are only furthering my assumption that he wanted nothing to do with the money because it would change him or his surroundings and he does not like change. It's a valid hypothesis that has yet to be disproved.