Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: Cursing on TV
Fuck yes 167 86.98%
Shit no 25 13.02%
Voters: 192. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-15-2010, 12:05 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkenstein View Post
I am pro-ridulizing barbaric and backwards cults. But i dont want to be in the same team with racist idiots who use "freedom of speech" as a way to spew hate.
What's the alternative to allowing people to spew hate? I feel it's better they're out in the open so I know who the idiots are, then to force them underground.

Canada has a system where you have free speech, but it's limited to speech that doesn't "incite hatred or violence". This seems like what you may be advocating. But it doesn't work well because you have an infinite grey area of "is this hate speech?" which in the end stifles free speech.

Now your enjoyment of making fun of backwards cults could easily be interpreted as hatred. Or it could be more serious like the example of female circumcision. Very painful and negatively effects the girl for the rest of her life. But it's a religious practice, so you don't dare speak out against it - you could be spreading hatred.

Last edited by chris233; 07-15-2010 at 12:07 PM.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 12:12 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positive Control View Post
One is shitting on/mocking a custom, the other on a religion's most important prophet? Isn't the Eucharist, the body of GOD, also a representation of Christianity's most important figure?!? C'mon!
No, it's not the same, you're wrong
Old 07-15-2010, 12:24 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Assholes View Post
There actually is a difference between the two, more than one difference in fact. First of all it would take quite some time to find a Catholic that would kill you for doing that, it would be a lot easier to find a Muslim who would kill you for that. Secondly one is shitting on/mocking a custom, the other is shitting on a religion's most important prophet.
There is no difference and if you think that you not a very good Christian. Communion is in fact the body of Christ. The only real difference here is that Muslims are known for bombing shit (not all of them but the crazy few). Although I may be an asshole if I choose not to respect the Muslims I also don’t think it’s fair that they should get a free pass from being disrespected because you might get bomb. In a sense being to scared to draw Muhammad is like giving in to terrorism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positive Control View Post
Drawing Muhammad is offensive to Muslims. Taking the Lord's name in vain is offensive to my religion. That means that I don't do it, not that I expect people of different beliefs and backgrounds not to do it. Can you imagine getting bombed, beaten, or killed just because you express a statement of exasperation? Because we practice freedoms we are targets of terrorist groups. It is offensive to them that we are free and let women show their ankles. Should we give that up to appease those willing to act violently against us? You say we should be tolerant and understand that drawing Muhammad is offensive - perhaps they should be understanding that it isn't offensive to others. I'm just glad I live in America, where I have freedom of speech; unless I'm hurting someone's feelings of course.
Agreed

P.S. There is a great 2 part episode of South Park about this very thing.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igDRyJgES2E

Last edited by GirlNextDoor; 07-15-2010 at 02:07 PM.
Old 07-15-2010, 12:26 PM   #24 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

In a week that saw his famous brother implode like a mother fucker, mild mannered Australian, Chris Gibson began talking about his book Memoirs Of A Fat Bastard which has just been released onto the shelves. Quite appropriately, everyone seems to be giving him a wide berth so far as questions about his dick head sibling's behavior.
Old 07-15-2010, 12:36 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris233 View Post
What's the alternative to allowing people to spew hate? I feel it's better they're out in the open so I know who the idiots are, then to force them underground.

Canada has a system where you have free speech, but it's limited to speech that doesn't "incite hatred or violence". This seems like what you may be advocating. But it doesn't work well because you have an infinite grey area of "is this hate speech?" which in the end stifles free speech.

Now your enjoyment of making fun of backwards cults could easily be interpreted as hatred. Or it could be more serious like the example of female circumcision. Very painful and negatively effects the girl for the rest of her life. But it's a religious practice, so you don't dare speak out against it - you could be spreading hatred.
Personally i have done a bit of anti-FGM work in Africa. (strong word, but what we tried was basically trying to help the girls and take them away when it was possible) and the worst part of it is that it isnt a strictly religious thing anymore but more of a cultural thing.

It's like trying to prevent AIDS in those countries. They have such a fucked up mindset about sexuality and women abuse, it will take aeons to solve that If it's possible.

That might help in showing you what i mean by ridiculizing backwards practices. I think it's a duty to point out the wrongs in religious and cultural practices, even if that means openly hurting their sensibility. But that has to be set apart from using that criticism as a metaphor for "they're animals, let's just let them die by their own hands. we hate them and despise them".
Old 07-15-2010, 12:55 PM   #26 (permalink)

I know I'm going to get screamed at for this, but...on the topic of Christians not killing people on the basis of their religious beliefs...

Murder of George Tiller - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Eric Robert Rudolph - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Christian Identity - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Militia...(United_States)

Yes, it's completely INSANE to kill someone for drawing Mohammed. You'll get no argument from me on that front. Just don't pretend that there aren't violent members of every single religion on this planet who are active harming people right now, today.

And, others who have "desecrated" a communion wafer have received death threats even if Keith didn't. I found so many articles when I Googled "Christian death threats" that I won't even bother posting them all. You can just look yourself.
http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2...ill_donohu.php

Last edited by Blitzgal; 07-15-2010 at 01:10 PM.
Old 07-15-2010, 01:18 PM   #27 (permalink)

Blitz is there anyone who says that christians arent violent? Is there even a fundamentalist christian, even a very convinced one on this board?

I understand your point, but it would work better if you named a different religion at least ONCE.
Old 07-15-2010, 02:49 PM   #28 (permalink)

FCC Ruling

I think the FCC Ruling is more for network tv channels who play live tv events (award shows, sports games, live interviews) and are then penalized when someone curses while accepting their award. They were being punished when someone who did not organize the show used a curse word.

Granted, with this new ruling it will be interesting to see which shows will incorporate cursing (I'd like to see it on CSI, people don't just go "oh no!" when they find dead bodies, they curse).

The point was made about sponsorship and I think that's absolutely correct. Best example of that is South Park. South Park did an entire episode dedicated to the word "shit" and counted the number of times it was said. It wasn't bleeped, and the companies that sponsored the show knew what was going to happen. Then a few months ago they did a 2 part show about showing Muhammad. The first show aired and nothing was censored. Then for the second episode when they were going to "unveil" Muhammad sponsors and Comedy Central were harrassed by Muslim groups and caved into them. In a last minute decision they bleeped the word Muhammad every time it was shown in the episode (which was alot). Network tv won't just throw curse words in willy-nilly.

I do think Americans are desensatized towards violence and get uppity about nudity and sex.

One of my favorite shows, Dexter, is about a serial killer, and usually airs on Showtime. Along with killing people there is the occasional sex scene and cursing. Dexter has been edited before to be shown on network tv (on NBC I think), meaning that it was okay to show people being hacked up into pieces but the show was censored around cursing (people tend to curse when they're killed), boobs, and sex scenes. A bit hypocritical I think, but then that's just me.
Old 07-15-2010, 03:05 PM   #29 (permalink)

Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Assholes View Post
No, it's not the same, you're wrong
Really? If by not the same, you mean one is desecrating the actual God of a religion and the other is desecrating a prophet, then yes, you're right.
Old 07-15-2010, 03:18 PM   #30 (permalink)

you know each day Mel is growing on me,tonight im going to try the WAKE UP and blow me...with the wife.Fingers crossed