Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: McDonald's
Chemda 95 50.00%
Keith Alberstadt 95 50.00%
Voters: 190. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-10-2010, 09:25 PM   #41 (permalink)
Administrator
24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Thanks for making me nearly piss myself with the last bit about, "Whaaa? That's a thing now?".

Great show and guest!
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 01:27 AM   #42 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

btw, the dude who ate junk food for calories didn't have a new idea at all. People who want to put on mass and don't have the time or the money to eat clean can go on a "dirty bulk" schedule, where they just eat anything to meet their daily caloric intake. Two twinkies will have over 300 calories, whereas the same weight of vegetables will have maybe 50 (and will take up a lot more volume). Plus some vegetables have almost 0 calories (like lettuce) and it takes more calories to digest celery than it provides.
Old 11-11-2010, 07:53 AM   #43 (permalink)
2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer

On the phone thing

I'm dating a guy 5 years younger than me and this is really the only place where I feel the age difference. He is a text-a-holic and his phone is his go-to whenever there is a dull moment. We've gotten to a place of compromise - through me he finally understands when it is really damn rude, and because of him, I've become a little bit more phone addicted myself.

I think it's really a difference of what you grew up with: I'm 32 and didn't grow up with the ability to constantly distract myself via technology, so half the time it doesn't even occur to me to do so. Whereas kids these days need a distraction from their distraction... "Well I'm driving, so that's really boring and kind of like doing nothing, so I should get on my phone." "Wow I'm at this comedy show but I am just sitting here when I could be doing two things at once so I should get on my phone."

At least my boyfriend is not the kind of guy who would whip his phone out at a comedy show or a movie, but I'm not saying I haven't seen that thing come out at dinner. My retaliation: I got on my phone and posted on facebook that my boyfriend is an asshole for being on his phone at a restaurant. Ironically satisfying and he got tons of shit on facebook about it.
Old 11-11-2010, 08:18 AM   #44 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by justingoodman@live.com View Post
i would rather just walk to the garden and pick it fresh than go to the store
and if you really cared that much about it you would to instead of lazily letting a government entity tell you what to eat,
maybe its just me

Dude, how old are you, anyway? There's a difference between things such as New York's ban on trans fat in restaurants and the FDA attempting to make sure companies don't sell contaminated food and if you can't figure that out you're far too fucking stupid to continue this conversation.
Old 11-11-2010, 09:12 AM   #45 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzgal View Post
Dude, how old are you, anyway? There's a difference between things such as New York's ban on trans fat in restaurants and the FDA attempting to make sure companies don't sell contaminated food and if you can't figure that out you're far too fucking stupid to continue this conversation.
Again, sorry if i wronged you so badly. 30 by the way, and all i am saying is if you people really feel so strongly about e-coli, grow your own shit instead of dumping tax dollars into an agency that spends its resources time and money doing studies on cow cum a hundred miles away from my house. Your right that is a great use of american tax dollars.
Point is, i dont agree with you but i am not near as angry about it as you either. So if you really need to spout off your aggressions go ahead. Just a quick question though. If you aren't doing anything about it can you really justify your complaints?

There was another government agency that did an inspection at an oil rig in the gulf days before something pretty big happened,i dont know if that ever turned into anything, But i am sure those guys did their job, so money well spent right? I have also seen Fda inspections done at many ranches here in SD. which is ranching country. Too many of those inspections should have ended in multimillion dollar fines, yet the dead cow in the drinking supply of the cattle just didn't seem to warrant such action. But by all means let those people tell you that that meat is fine, they are not the answer in most cases they are the problem.

Last edited by justingoodman@live.com; 11-11-2010 at 10:37 AM.
Old 11-11-2010, 11:39 AM   #46 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by justingoodman@live.com View Post
i would rather just walk to the garden and pick it fresh than go to the store
and if you really cared that much about it you would to instead of lazily letting a government entity tell you what to eat,
maybe its just me
The problem with that is that not everybody has the money, the space or the time to grow their own food. Not to mention that some people are bad at growing things.

Even if there is a perfect storm wherein a regular person or family is able to supply the kind of work it takes to maintain a self-sustaining garden, no single group can possibly supply all of their own needs. They're going to have to buy some things at the market. And even if they go to a farmers market, which is probably the next best thing to growing your own, those are damn expensive and sometimes very far away.

At first I was totally for SF taking the toys out of the happy meals, but after some thought, I'm against it. That's too much government interference. they should take the money they're using to be everyone's nanny and work on keeping the food safe for consumption in the short run, rather than the long run.
Old 11-11-2010, 12:26 PM   #47 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by marina View Post
The problem with that is that not everybody has the money, the space or the time to grow their own food. Not to mention that some people are bad at growing things.

Even if there is a perfect storm wherein a regular person or family is able to supply the kind of work it takes to maintain a self-sustaining garden, no single group can possibly supply all of their own needs. They're going to have to buy some things at the market. And even if they go to a farmers market, which is probably the next best thing to growing your own, those are damn expensive and sometimes very far away.

At first I was totally for SF taking the toys out of the happy meals, but after some thought, I'm against it. That's too much government interference. they should take the money they're using to be everyone's nanny and work on keeping the food safe for consumption in the short run, rather than the long run.
I can appreciate both your point of view, and and that you did so in such a manner of less anger then some of the other forum members. I would like to piont you to a magazine named urban farms www.urbanfarmonline.com/ that further guides individuals on ways to succeed in urban farming no matter the time, cost or land available. I currently live in the the middle of one of SDs large citys and have managed to not buy any of my produce lettice,cabbage, eggs, spinach, etc.,from grocery stores in the last two years despite the fact that i am feeding myself, my wife and four kids.
i can agree that advertisers are targeting people, yet assume that most parents can make the call to not feed their chidren trash instead of a home cooked meal. So i guess you could say that i am for less government interference as well.
Old 11-11-2010, 01:18 PM   #48 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by marina View Post
And even if they go to a farmers market, which is probably the next best thing to growing your own, those are damn expensive and sometimes very far away..
I love farmers markets, and they can actually be super affordable if you buy what's in season. Of course this means adjusting your eating habits, but if you're really all for this kind of lifestyle, you can make it work.

As for me, I eat anything. If I get sick then I just made the wrong choice, I guess. Pretend it's Russian Roulette, but the shit-your-pants-if-you're-wrong version.
Old 11-11-2010, 01:18 PM   #49 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ansur View Post
Or this one, smoking to protect your throat and keep you from getting fat?
Maybe it's to help you get toasted?
Old 11-11-2010, 02:02 PM   #50 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

My wife grew up in Detroit and we lived in Livonia before we moved to the East Coast. This video is a couple of years old --

Detroit Wildlife on Vimeo