Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: The cheering in America over Osama bin Laden’s death is…
understandable and acceptable. 108 52.94%
ignorant and crass. 96 47.06%
Voters: 204. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree8Likes

Old 05-03-2011, 07:28 AM   #21 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cart Horse View Post
Who, Bob or Bin?
Bin.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 07:33 AM   #22 (permalink)

I'm with Brian. I think it's certainly a good thing that he's dead, I especially like the fact that we can send in an American strike-force into another country to get shit done, but the celebrating hits me as weird.
Old 05-03-2011, 07:35 AM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bofadeeznizzles View Post
Life is sacred. Killing Osama bin Laden does more for people who love life than letting him live.

I'm sorry, but this is bullshit. Our response to 9/11 was to invade and occupy Iraq, leading to the deaths of anywhere from a few hundred thousand to a million Iraq citizens. If life was so sacred, we would have gotten him in December 2001 in Tora Bora and not invaded a country that had nothing to do with the attacks. If life was so sacred George Bush wouldn't have already given up on finding bin Laden in March 2002 when he said, "I don't really think about him that much. I'm not that concerned."

So yeah, we got him, nearly a full decade, a trillion dollar war, and a million dead people later. At this point I really don't give a shit about one dead psycho.
Old 05-03-2011, 07:37 AM   #24 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWarrior View Post
calling the cheering "insensitive" is ridiculous.
So I'm ridiculous and need Ritalin. *shrug* You got me.

Quote:
I do agree celebrating his death is bad form, but not insensitive.
I guess I'm so far off in your mind that I need to be called ridiculous. Well played.
Old 05-03-2011, 07:45 AM   #25 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianAlt View Post
I thought it was crass and insensitive. ...
You're being silly Brian.

the main issue i have with the celebrations is that they feel like "everything is solved now, horray. Usa have defeated terrorirsm". which at worst can be called naive, rather than crass.

Still, its completely understandable. But insensitive? towards who? the arabic component?

They're happy he's dead too, and if they're not and actually mounr his death, then they're suspect.

Also, i think the death of a person like that is extremely worthy of celebration. Not foolish at all.
Old 05-03-2011, 07:53 AM   #26 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkenstein View Post
You're being silly Brian.
Reread what I wrote. I said that I thought the ARABS celebrating 9/11 were being crass and insensitive. I said that crass was the wrong word in this case, however that choice was closer to my feelings than the other.

I also think that we (Americans, as I am one) looked foolish. Crass and insensitive? Maybe a little. Foolish? Definitely!
Old 05-03-2011, 08:04 AM   #27 (permalink)

yeah i got that, and i dont see the comparison. Arabs were celebrating the death of civilians, americans are celebrating the death of a criminal and mass murderer.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:23 AM   #28 (permalink)

Not sure I'm making a comparison. Just saying that I think it makes us look foolish.

Like it's The Wizard of Oz, "ding, dong the witch is dead..." I swear, watching the crowd I thought they might sing that next.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:35 AM   #29 (permalink)

honestly, i think the celebrating is a natural reaction. now if there were arab bashings or stuff like that my view would be different. but since it seems it was a moment of collective unity and celbration, i dont see anything wrong with it. again, naive, yes. foolish, not sure. definitely not insensitive.

still, as soon as the celebration turns into America vs the world chanting, like it probably will happne as it happens evrytime you guys are happy for something, then the issue will be different. But right now, celbratign is fine.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:48 AM   #30 (permalink)
24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer

All this is encompassed in the great song written by Jessie J. and performed by national treasure Miley Cyrus "Party in the U.S.A."
It's what we do. Don't even need much of an excuse, really.
And we don't give a rat's what the world thinks. Why should we? Have you seen the world? It's a mess.