Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: Re: This Osama bin Laden brouhaha
Truth 164 90.11%
Conspiracy 18 9.89%
Voters: 182. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-05-2011, 07:40 AM   #11 (permalink)

I think conspiracy theories are just a byproduct of dumb people wanting to be anti-government and politically active. There's plenty of facts readily available for usage in criticizing the government, but dumb people aren't good with facts. But they are good at making up nonsense.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 07:56 AM   #12 (permalink)

It also feels like it has the same kind of psychological root as religion does for other people. For instance, when you try to point out the logical flaws in their arguments, they will just say, "Well, I'm just open-minded. I'm not going to close my mind to the possibility." And to me that sounds a lot like when religious people say, "Well, you have to have faith," any time you try to logically take down one of their arguments.

It's like in Tuesday's show when Keith pointed out that there were fifteen people in the Situation Room watching the raid go down, serving as witnesses. Chemda rightly said that for conspiracy theorists who don't trust the government anyway, this won't be seen as proof.
Old 05-05-2011, 08:01 AM   #13 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

true, but i also noticed that, very much like religion, the whole NWO crap has become a series of cult-like beliefs that sit very well with insanje, angry and potentially dangerous people. most of them are harmless, still it could be a nice recruiting tool for future bulding bombers.

honestly, guys like this:

might just be trying to gain listeners through controversy, but lets just look into them, as a safety measure
Old 05-05-2011, 08:14 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkenstein View Post
true, but i also noticed that, very much like religion, the whole NWO crap has become a series of cult-like beliefs that sit very well with insanje, angry and potentially dangerous people. most of them are harmless, still it could be a nice recruiting tool for future bulding bombers.

The other freaky thing is how closely tied this all is with very old school racism and anti-Semitism. She forwarded me some forum conversation and I'm reading it and these people are just casually throwing these anti-Semitic comments around, talking about "Jew bankers" and all this stuff. She's not even racist! She's a freakin' liberal! (Okay, liberals can be racist. But it shocked me that she was reading this stuff) These people scare me though. That kind of hatred can easily lead to violence.

I really think this obsession with the Greys and the Reptilians is just the same old anti-Zionist stuff that's been around for hundreds of years, just repackaged as aliens. They say the same kinds of crap, and they don't have to mask it anymore, because hey, we're talking about aliens now!
Old 05-05-2011, 08:17 AM   #15 (permalink)

Regarding the torture. During waterboarding, Khalid Shaik Mohammad gave FALSE names of bin Laden's couriers. It wasn't until a full year later, under "standard interrogation" that he gave the real names.

This is definitely not a clear win for torture. Torture got us lies. Talking to him later like a human being got us the truth.
Old 05-05-2011, 08:23 AM   #16 (permalink)

It's funny how claiming that information was acquired through torture is supposed to prove that torture works, but this Osama business doesn't prove to torture folks that not torturing works.
Old 05-05-2011, 08:31 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cretaceous Bob View Post
It's funny how claiming that information was acquired through torture is supposed to prove that torture works, but this Osama business doesn't prove to torture folks that not torturing works.
I definitely give Obama props. He used this intel the way it should have been used, to conduct a targeted strike that did not kill civilians. He campaigned on getting bin Laden, and he did it. He definitely deserves credit for that.
Old 05-05-2011, 08:54 AM   #18 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzgal View Post
It also feels like it has the same kind of psychological root as religion does for other people. For instance, when you try to point out the logical flaws in their arguments, they will just say, "Well, I'm just open-minded. I'm not going to close my mind to the possibility." And to me that sounds a lot like when religious people say, "Well, you have to have faith," any time you try to logically take down one of their arguments..
I think Marc Maron pointed out first, when he sais that religious fanatics and conspiracy theorists both use the same "well if you wanna live in the dark...." sentence.

And i also noticed that pople in tier ranks, are getting incresingly bellicose and aggressive, not that cartoony or silly anymore. lots of threats and project mayhem stuff. i honestly think they are going to be the future domestic terrorist threat. there was a time where even fundamentalists were regarded as simple nuts. i wouldnt overlook them.
Old 05-05-2011, 09:11 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkenstein View Post
And i also noticed that pople in tier ranks, are getting incresingly bellicose and aggressive, not that cartoony or silly anymore. lots of threats and project mayhem stuff. i honestly think they are going to be the future domestic terrorist threat. there was a time where even fundamentalists were regarded as simple nuts. i wouldnt overlook them.

Definitely, "true believers" of any sort are potentially dangerous. That roid rage guy that Keith played during the show was kind of terrifying.

My coworker is the cartoony, silly sort. But these movements attract people with real mental health problems, and those people take this stuff so seriously they might act on it.
Old 05-05-2011, 09:59 AM   #20 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer

The scary thing about conspiracy theorists vs. religious nuts is that they are not limited by a set of “guidelines” from a particular religious text.

Conspiracy theorists are able to take any information (Osama’s death, Alien abduction, Lunar landing, NOW, JFK) and dispute the facts they are given by implying that the government can’t be trusted… and each new theory is built on the back of the previous theory being assumed valid.

IE: “how can we trust that Osama is dead when we know that the government covered up the Roswell incident and the Lunar Landing? If they can do that they can easily fake Osama’s death!”

At least religious nut take the time to manipulate the words of their “holy texts” to make their followers believe it’s God’s word.