Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: Jack Kevorkian
A+ 144 94.12%
Thumbs down 9 5.88%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-09-2011, 05:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
PARTY! SUPER PARTY!

1406: Who Let the Cat Out

"Why can't you just accept that we fuckin' hate each other?"

www.RyanConnerComedy.com

Last edited by Keith; 06-09-2011 at 06:05 PM.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 06:34 PM   #2 (permalink)

The idea itself may sound like "Logan's Run", but If I was dying and in great pain every day I'd push the button. That being said let's make sure that a doctor checks the situation out first.
Old 06-09-2011, 10:43 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thumbs down. I'm all for assisted suicide, but Kevorkian didn't properly screen his patients for mental illness. A few of his "terminal" patients were not actually diseased.

So yes to assisted suicide, but no to Kevorkian.
Old 06-09-2011, 11:12 PM   #4 (permalink)

Android App

As an owner of both an android and a itouch, I can see both sides to the debate about the android app.
On one hand, I can see how KATG would be annoyed about having their name on an app that doesn't work and seems to be giving them a bad name. I wouldn't want my name on a service that may be deterring potential listeners from subscribing to my show. If this guy was going to develop an app for my company, I would hope that he would choose to try to stay on top of any feedback and problems that users were encountering. And if he was too busy to monitor this, maybe he should wait until he has some free time to do some crash testing.
On the other hand, I think KATG came off a bit harsh and unappreciative for the volunteer work that this guy put in when he was genuinely trying to help KATG and give back for all the thousands of awesome shows. It seems like "Joel" was genuinely trying to be a nice dude and do a nice favour to KATG and the android listeners. I don't know anything about developing software, but I can imagine that it takes a buttload of time and effort to make such an application. I can just picture that it must have sounded very hurtful when a loyal fan (Joel) dedicated his time and effort to make this for free, and then hear KATG shit all over him. It was a bit harsh and could have been handled with more sensitivity, appreciation and respect. I can empathize with this guy because I myself do alot of volunteer work because I want to help people, but I would feel crappy if the people I work on free projects for turned around and shit on me when I was just trying to help them and give back out the goodness of my heart.
I do agree that maybe this app should not have been put out with KATGs name on it, and instead been labelled with "Joels app" or whatever.
Old 06-10-2011, 12:12 AM   #5 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by illution View Post
As an owner of both an android and a itouch, I can see both sides to the debate about the android app.
On one hand, I can see how KATG would be annoyed about having their name on an app that doesn't work and seems to be giving them a bad name. I wouldn't want my name on a service that may be deterring potential listeners from subscribing to my show. If this guy was going to develop an app for my company, I would hope that he would choose to try to stay on top of any feedback and problems that users were encountering. And if he was too busy to monitor this, maybe he should wait until he has some free time to do some crash testing.
On the other hand, I think KATG came off a bit harsh and unappreciative for the volunteer work that this guy put in when he was genuinely trying to help KATG and give back for all the thousands of awesome shows. It seems like "Joel" was genuinely trying to be a nice dude and do a nice favour to KATG and the android listeners. I don't know anything about developing software, but I can imagine that it takes a buttload of time and effort to make such an application. I can just picture that it must have sounded very hurtful when a loyal fan (Joel) dedicated his time and effort to make this for free, and then hear KATG shit all over him. It was a bit harsh and could have been handled with more sensitivity, appreciation and respect. I can empathize with this guy because I myself do alot of volunteer work because I want to help people, but I would feel crappy if the people I work on free projects for turned around and shit on me when I was just trying to help them and give back out the goodness of my heart.
I do agree that maybe this app should not have been put out with KATGs name on it, and instead been labelled with "Joels app" or whatever.
Really? Thats what this joel guy whats u do think. FOR FREE u make it sound like keith and girl asked him to make this;they didn't. If u put out a product that doesn't work and put their name on it they have every right to get pissed. If he makes a product like that.It makes others outside of this world make it seem like they have substandard products.As for being nicer.U listen to keith and the girl.THe whole show is like this.It is how keith reacts to shit.He doesn't try to butter people up.Thats what makes me keep coming back.Best belive if I ever find a way to make something with their name on it. I won't half as it. If u want to help, really help All the way. Just like the Iphone app.I mean if I go to a soup kitchen and feed homeless; a bowl of shit.And somebodys like "I won't eat this".What am I going to be like " O I am doing this for free and you won't eat this shit" and then I put on the Sign KATG soup kitchen.That would be wrong also.No doing something for free don't mean u can half ass it.
(Deandre) Now Unohisname
Tattoo #74
Old 06-10-2011, 12:25 AM   #6 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

If you volunteer to do something out of the goodness of your heart, don't bring up how the work quality doesn't matter because you're doing it out of the goodness of your heart. That just signifies you primarily started the project not to give back, but to have others say how great you are and possibly solicit donations in the future.
Old 06-10-2011, 01:05 AM   #7 (permalink)

I have a right to die with dignity and peace. A+ Dr.Death!
Old 06-10-2011, 02:33 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by unohisname View Post
Really? Thats what this joel guy whats u do think. FOR FREE u make it sound like keith and girl asked him to make this;they didn't. If u put out a product that doesn't work and put their name on it they have every right to get pissed. If he makes a product like that.It makes others outside of this world make it seem like they have substandard products.As for being nicer.U listen to keith and the girl.THe whole show is like this.It is how keith reacts to shit.He doesn't try to butter people up.Thats what makes me keep coming back.Best belive if I ever find a way to make something with their name on it. I won't half as it. If u want to help, really help All the way. Just like the Iphone app.I mean if I go to a soup kitchen and feed homeless; a bowl of shit.And somebodys like "I won't eat this".What am I going to be like " O I am doing this for free and you won't eat this shit" and then I put on the Sign KATG soup kitchen.That would be wrong also.No doing something for free don't mean u can half ass it.
Ya man, I agree, you make some very excellent points and analogies. But I think you missed my point when you said:

"Thats what this joel guy whats u do think. FOR FREE u make it sound like keith and girl asked him to make this;they didn't."

My point is that obviously KATG DID NOT ASK him to make this app for them. But the guy went ahead and tried to help because he was trying to be cool and give back to the community and our favourite podcast.
If you read my previous comment, you would see I already agreed on your point of "He shouldn't put KATG's name on it if it is not even working properly."

But I think what is confusing this situation is the fact that I really doubt this guy intentionally "Did a half assed job". I am sure he put in hours of work with the intention of making it a great app, like the awesome iphone/itouch app, but in software development, there are always bugs.

But I AGAIN agree that he should have put in the time after the new release to stick around for crash testing.

On the point of "Katg is abrasive and that is why we listen", I will have to disagree.
We all love Keith's rants, and he seems to say them in a way that we can all jump on board, but in this situation, I felt like it was a little douchey the way Keith ripped a new asshole out of this guy who had the best intentions of helping KATG and wanted to just help the cause.

If someone volunteered to make an app for my company, I would have the EXACT SAME complaints that Keith did, BUT I would NOT rip them a new one for genuinely trying to be awesome and code apps for me and my cause for free. That was kind if an asshole move on Keith's part.

But again, maybe this a communication issue and there should have been more back and forths between the developer and KATG before this situation arose....
Old 06-10-2011, 05:10 AM   #9 (permalink)

Let's look at the sequence of events:
1. the guy asks Keith to announce the app on the show
2. Keith does
3. People tell Keith the app doesn't work
4. Keith PMs the guy to take the app down until it works
5. Guy writes this post:

Quote:
...It is an open source app, and I am doing it for FREE. Keith and Chemda give me nothing but grief for it so... You can help if you want. Or you can be patient.
Notice the capitalizing of "FREE." Notice the attitude about K&C. Notice also that he doesn't comply with the original request, which is to take it down until it's working. He doesn't even offer mention taking it down in his post. As far as I know, Doug does extensive testing of his app before releasing updates, whereas this guy just releases whenever he wants.

Here is his next message:
Quote:
Thanks for all your support for people who do things for FREE for your show!
[/sarcasm]
Notice again the capitalizing of "FREE" and how he wants something in return because he did the app for FREE.

Keith just doesn't want shoddy work. If you're going to do shit work for FFFFRRRREEEEEEEE, then just save your time.

Last edited by DWarrior; 06-10-2011 at 05:14 AM.
Old 06-10-2011, 05:30 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWarrior View Post
Let's look at the sequence of events:
1. the guy asks Keith to announce the app on the show
2. Keith does
3. People tell Keith the app doesn't work
4. Keith PMs the guy to take the app down until it works
5. Guy writes this post:

Notice the capitalizing of "FREE." Notice the attitude about K&C. Notice also that he doesn't comply with the original request, which is to take it down until it's working. He doesn't even offer mention taking it down in his post. As far as I know, Doug does extensive testing of his app before releasing updates, whereas this guy just releases whenever he wants.

Here is his next message:
Notice again the capitalizing of "FREE" and how he wants something in return because he did the app for FREE.

Keith just doesn't want shoddy work. If you're going to do shit work for FFFFRRRREEEEEEEE, then just save your time.
That is fair enough to say DWarrior ,
but at the end of the day, it seems like the guy was just trying to do something nice as a favour and then got his little feelings hurt.

I am just trying to play devils advocate and see both sides of the coin and not just jump on board and agree completely with anything that Keith says like a KATG fanboy.

I DO appreciate ANYTHING that ANYONE does to help out KATG, and anyone, including Keith, that shits on them, sounds a little bit rude.

And as far as I know, last time I checked the KATG android app is no longer available on the android marketplace.

I mean, it sounds like this guy put in alot of work on this app, he thought it was stable(ish) and then next thing he knew a rainstorm of shit clouds were on his head.
And that kinda sucks if he was just trying to help out the KATG cause. I feel sorry for the guy. I wish I had the know-how to make a katg app for android. If I could, I would, but now, I bet people are afraid to try to make a better android app, for fear of getting ripped a new asshole...