Keith and The Girl Forums

Keith and The Girl Forums (https://www.keithandthegirl.com/forums/)
-   Show Talk (https://www.keithandthegirl.com/forums/f5/)
-   -   1418: Just the Tip (https://www.keithandthegirl.com/forums/f5/1418-just-tip-16461/)

stulagu 07-06-2011 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bucho (Post 705455)
Apart from surface stuff like similarities in accent Robert's not like JFOD.

Robert has a lot of opinions which, right or wrong, he's thought about a lot.

JFOD is smart but 98% of the time when he opens his mouth he's not thinking at all.

I was thinking of the cadence but also how his stories morph and after a while it seems like he was always going to end up where he ends up but it seems very sporatic as you listen. I think JFOD also does this, though with less of a conclusion and obvious circle of topics. For some reason he just sounded rehearsed to me.

Bucho 07-06-2011 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stulagu (Post 705460)
I was thinking of the cadence but also how his stories morph and after a while it seems like he was always going to end up where he ends up but it seems very sporatic as you listen. I think JFOD also does this, though with less of a conclusion and obvious circle of topics. For some reason he just sounded rehearsed to me.

I can see it if you mean there are moments when they're telling stories of their turbulent pasts there is some similarity, but in terms of the overall vibe and content they bring as guests on KATG they come across to me as very different breeds.

JFOD, right from his very first appearance, has been one of the most playful, livewire, loose unit types of guest who's always felt very present and comfortable and is having a shitload of fun. He's the most unpredictable guest this side of Deuce, whereas Robert for the most part feels like one of the more measured, practised guests and feels more like he's working than playing with Keith and Chemda.

Robert also has that menace and rage in him that comes out in the moments when he's less measured, whereas JFOD, even when he's at his most aggressive responding to some ridiculous news story, feels like he's just hilariously annoyed and not bubbling with supressed fury.

stulagu 07-06-2011 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bucho (Post 705470)
I can see it if you mean there are moments when they're telling stories of their turbulent pasts there is some similarity, but in terms of the overall vibe and content they bring as guests on KATG they come across to me as very different breeds.

JFOD, right from his very first appearance, has been one of the most playful, livewire, loose unit types of guest who's always felt very present and comfortable and is having a shitload of fun. He's the most unpredictable guest this side of Deuce, whereas Robert for the most part feels like one of the more measured, practised guests and feels more like he's working than playing with Keith and Chemda.

Robert also has that menace and rage in him that comes out in the moments when he's less measured, whereas JFOD, even when he's at his most aggressive responding to some ridiculous news story, feels like he's just hilariously annoyed and not bubbling with supressed fury.

nicely expressed. I'm won over. :D

fergusite 07-08-2011 05:09 AM

Robert Kelly

I don't know why, but this was the first show in 5 years that I couldn't listen to at all. Keith and Chemda can make paint drying interesting, and so I've never not liked one of their guests before, but this guy was just too much. I actually found myself wishing he would just shut the fuck up for most of the show, until I gave up waiting for him to be tolerable and erased the podcast.

DWarrior 07-08-2011 05:14 AM

Interesting. A new contender for best new guest + worst new guest?

stulagu 07-08-2011 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DWarrior (Post 705540)
Interesting. A new contender for best new guest + worst new guest?

he was fairly polarizing. maybe past guests have ruined his nuance for some of us...

starscream 07-08-2011 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stulagu (Post 705548)
he was fairly polarizing. maybe past guests have ruined his nuance for some of us...

What? I didn't not like him as a guest, but nuanced is definitely the not applicable.

BrianAlt 07-08-2011 10:30 AM

He depressed the shit out of me. I felt a little down before listening to the show, but after? I was considering various methods of death!

stulagu 07-08-2011 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by starscream (Post 705562)
What? I didn't not like him as a guest, but nuanced is definitely the not applicable.

by nuance I'm talking about his tone, the way he told stories, his semingly rehearsed lines that were meant to sound like the idea had just come to him. For me he was a mix of JFOD and Danny Lobel. I was waiting for the other shoe to drop at the end of the show.

It seemed like so much of a routine and the nuance is that they've already had guests that sound/act like this. It would be like having too many people like Myk Kaplan on...it would get old.

starscream 07-08-2011 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stulagu (Post 705599)
by nuance I'm talking about his tone, the way he told stories, his semingly rehearsed lines that were meant to sound like the idea had just come to him. For me he was a mix of JFOD and Danny Lobel. I was waiting for the other shoe to drop at the end of the show.

It seemed like so much of a routine and the nuance is that they've already had guests that sound/act like this. It would be like having too many people like Myk Kaplan on...it would get old.

I think I understand even less now. But yes, I wouldn't want a guest like this to come along any more often. It becomes their show, rather than a show they are on.

{But I'll take Myq Kaplan every day. [Except the day(s) after he does mushrooms.]}