Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: STRAIGHT MEN ONLY: Have you ever had any circle jerks or the like with your friends?
Yes 16 9.82%
No 147 90.18%
Voters: 163. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree3Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2011, 10:13 PM   #71 (permalink)
Senior Member
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer
 
stulagu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucho View Post
Apart from surface stuff like similarities in accent Robert's not like JFOD.

Robert has a lot of opinions which, right or wrong, he's thought about a lot.

JFOD is smart but 98% of the time when he opens his mouth he's not thinking at all.
I was thinking of the cadence but also how his stories morph and after a while it seems like he was always going to end up where he ends up but it seems very sporatic as you listen. I think JFOD also does this, though with less of a conclusion and obvious circle of topics. For some reason he just sounded rehearsed to me.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 12:23 AM   #72 (permalink)
Senior Member
2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer
 
Bucho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Aotearoa
Posts: 3,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by stulagu View Post
I was thinking of the cadence but also how his stories morph and after a while it seems like he was always going to end up where he ends up but it seems very sporatic as you listen. I think JFOD also does this, though with less of a conclusion and obvious circle of topics. For some reason he just sounded rehearsed to me.
I can see it if you mean there are moments when they're telling stories of their turbulent pasts there is some similarity, but in terms of the overall vibe and content they bring as guests on KATG they come across to me as very different breeds.

JFOD, right from his very first appearance, has been one of the most playful, livewire, loose unit types of guest who's always felt very present and comfortable and is having a shitload of fun. He's the most unpredictable guest this side of Deuce, whereas Robert for the most part feels like one of the more measured, practised guests and feels more like he's working than playing with Keith and Chemda.

Robert also has that menace and rage in him that comes out in the moments when he's less measured, whereas JFOD, even when he's at his most aggressive responding to some ridiculous news story, feels like he's just hilariously annoyed and not bubbling with supressed fury.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 12:56 AM   #73 (permalink)
Senior Member
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer
 
stulagu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucho View Post
I can see it if you mean there are moments when they're telling stories of their turbulent pasts there is some similarity, but in terms of the overall vibe and content they bring as guests on KATG they come across to me as very different breeds.

JFOD, right from his very first appearance, has been one of the most playful, livewire, loose unit types of guest who's always felt very present and comfortable and is having a shitload of fun. He's the most unpredictable guest this side of Deuce, whereas Robert for the most part feels like one of the more measured, practised guests and feels more like he's working than playing with Keith and Chemda.

Robert also has that menace and rage in him that comes out in the moments when he's less measured, whereas JFOD, even when he's at his most aggressive responding to some ridiculous news story, feels like he's just hilariously annoyed and not bubbling with supressed fury.
nicely expressed. I'm won over.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 06:09 AM   #74 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 11
Robert Kelly

I don't know why, but this was the first show in 5 years that I couldn't listen to at all. Keith and Chemda can make paint drying interesting, and so I've never not liked one of their guests before, but this guy was just too much. I actually found myself wishing he would just shut the fuck up for most of the show, until I gave up waiting for him to be tolerable and erased the podcast.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 06:14 AM   #75 (permalink)
Senior Member
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer
 
DWarrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: NYC
Posts: 4,027
Interesting. A new contender for best new guest + worst new guest?
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 09:38 AM   #76 (permalink)
Senior Member
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer
 
stulagu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWarrior View Post
Interesting. A new contender for best new guest + worst new guest?
he was fairly polarizing. maybe past guests have ruined his nuance for some of us...
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 11:15 AM   #77 (permalink)
Senior Member
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer
 
starscream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 998
Quote:
Originally Posted by stulagu View Post
he was fairly polarizing. maybe past guests have ruined his nuance for some of us...
What? I didn't not like him as a guest, but nuanced is definitely the not applicable.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 11:30 AM   #78 (permalink)
Senior Member
2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer
 
BrianAlt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Northern NJ
Posts: 4,689
He depressed the shit out of me. I felt a little down before listening to the show, but after? I was considering various methods of death!
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 03:58 PM   #79 (permalink)
Senior Member
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer
 
stulagu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by starscream View Post
What? I didn't not like him as a guest, but nuanced is definitely the not applicable.
by nuance I'm talking about his tone, the way he told stories, his semingly rehearsed lines that were meant to sound like the idea had just come to him. For me he was a mix of JFOD and Danny Lobel. I was waiting for the other shoe to drop at the end of the show.

It seemed like so much of a routine and the nuance is that they've already had guests that sound/act like this. It would be like having too many people like Myk Kaplan on...it would get old.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 04:14 PM   #80 (permalink)
Senior Member
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer
 
starscream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 998
Quote:
Originally Posted by stulagu View Post
by nuance I'm talking about his tone, the way he told stories, his semingly rehearsed lines that were meant to sound like the idea had just come to him. For me he was a mix of JFOD and Danny Lobel. I was waiting for the other shoe to drop at the end of the show.

It seemed like so much of a routine and the nuance is that they've already had guests that sound/act like this. It would be like having too many people like Myk Kaplan on...it would get old.
I think I understand even less now. But yes, I wouldn't want a guest like this to come along any more often. It becomes their show, rather than a show they are on.

{But I'll take Myq Kaplan every day. [Except the day(s) after he does mushrooms.]}
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:53 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
Keith and The GirlAd Management plugin by RedTyger